Match Thread Everton v Newcastle United - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll.

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stranger things have happened than us getting a point against Newcastle or a point against City. Or even a win against one of them. But something special will only happen if there's a truly special atmosphere at Goodison, just as there was last season against Chelsea... when everyone had resigned themselves to the fact that Burnley were going to finish ahead of us.

When Goodison is rocking anything is possible.

I remember Wimbledon and I remember Coventry. I remember the trepidation and ultimately the jubilation. I didn't write us off when we were 2-0 down against Wimbledon and needed to win to stay up, so with 24 points still to play for and with 3 dire teams still below us I refuse to give up.

Dyche, rather uncharacteristically, made some mistakes against Fulham and against Palace. We have also sorely missed Doucoure since being sent off. However, our overall home record under Dyche is solid and that will keep us up... as long as we Blues keep the faith.

We fans need to treat every remaining home game as a cup final, just as we did last season. With just a few games to go last season we were actually in the relegation zone and Burnley were very much in the ascendency. But we stayed up and maintained our Premier League status... just as we will this season.

We are Everton. We don't do relegation. In our entire 140-year history we have been relegated just twice and we have enjoyed more seasons in the top division than any other club.

Resigning ourselves to relegation achieves nothing. It simply plays into the hands of those who would love to see us on our knees and relegated to the oblivion of the lower leagues.

Keep the faith, Blues.
Brilliant post.

We will not go down without a fight.

Back to Godfrey and Mykolenko as our full backs? How I long for the return of Jonjoe Kenny!

Jokes aside, our flanks of Godfrey/Holgate (seems both of these are preferred over Patterson in Coleman's absence) and Gray, plus Mykolenko and McNeil has to be as piss weak as it gets.

Newcastle, as we saw, have goals in them and are absolutely flying. They'll see this as a very winnable game and will probably come flying out of the blocks knowing that an early goal will likely kill the atmosphere and make it incredibly hard for them to lose the game.

Is Shay Coles back? Prior to the Palace game Dyche said Onana was looking more ready than Coleman, yet even he missed out.

You cannot reward Godfrey's awful form with a start at right back, so if no Coleman he just has to give Patterson a go.

DCL will surely start and Doucouré straight back in, hopefully Onana too.

Holgate, Gray and Garner out, even though I feel Gueye has been very poor recently.

I swear we always seem to play Newcastle in a midweek evening game every season.

Almost certain one of Allardyces first matches was Away to Newcastle which we won 1-0.

The Ancelotti one, when they scored twice deep into injury time after us looking certs for a win.

Last season when Iwobi scored a last minute winner after us going down to 10 men.

Wasn’t the away game this season midweek also?

I swear we always seem to play Newcastle in a midweek evening game every season.

Almost certain one of Allardyces first matches was Away to Newcastle which we won 1-0.

The Ancelotti one, when they scored twice deep into injury time after us looking certs for a win.

Last season when Iwobi scored a last minute winner after us going down to 10 men.

The Rooney pen match up there, that was a night game

Last time it was a none midweek game was a sunday Away in Nov 2020 & Home Jan 2021 both behind closed doors - with Fans it was just after xmas 2019 in an away game (sat 3pm ko) when we won 2-1 - at home the most normal time is march 2015 with a Sunday 4pm ko - otherwise every home game has been a midweek before that 2015 and now

Last time it was a none midweek game was a sunday Away in Nov 2020 & Home Jan 2021 both behind closed doors - with Fans it was just after xmas 2019 in an away game (sat 3pm ko) when we won 2-1 - at home the most normal time is march 2015 with a Sunday 4pm ko - otherwise every home game has been a midweek before that 2015 and now
Y tho?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back