Match Thread Everton v Sheffield United - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Too ill to listen to the game and could not go for same reason. Was it that bad? The Everton "haters"and the Pickford haters are out of their box. Anything good to say by anyone?

Good point on the chance creation but do you not think the lack of chance creation means we should sit deeper and try to hit teams when they haven´t got 9 men behind the ball? It´s quite clear this is a big issue for us.
I actually like the way we press. I really think the root of all the problems is the attacking system is go wide, flood the box, cross, repeat. If we had more about our play in the final third I really think the rest would be fine. There are times to drop off but to me that's not often.

Game plan against Everton:

• press Digne and whoever is playing in front of him
  • don't worry too much about Coleman as he has lost a yard and he and Richarlison can't really cross that well into non-existent forwards
  • channel attacks inside and pack the midfield
  • errr, that's it
It's unbelievable that forcing us closer to goal is a viable strategy for defending

I actually like the way we press. I really think the root of all the problems is the attacking system is go wide, flood the box, cross, repeat. If we had more about our play in the final third I really think the rest would be fine. There are times to drop off but to me that's not often.

We are at that awkward point where we can go and dominate possession comfortably but we are also very easy to defend against because our attacking players aren´t top tier.

We are at that awkward point where we can go and dominate possession comfortably but we are also very easy to defend against because our attacking players aren´t top tier.
I think some of them have the potential to do a lot better but the system is holding them back. Richarlison and Iwobi could be a really big problem for teams in the half spaces but they are very rarely there.

Scoring two goals on two shots is riding your luck. Sitting deep and not trying to really attack for an entire half is riding your luck.

They got lucky they were playing a team that has no idea how to attack.

It’s not riding your luck. It’s having a system and sticking to it. These got 2 at Chelsea and were unlucky to leave there with only 1 point.

They set up how they set up and we played right into their hands. Excellent management from Wilder.

To be honest, I don' t believe that our attacking players are not top tier. We have a potentially good front line (Rciharlison, Kean, Iwobi, for example) but our central midfield is so consumed with building up from the back and lacks any creativity to break down a stacked defence. Add to that we are then vulnerable on set pieces and on the break.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back