Match Thread Everton v Sheffield United - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think some of them have the potential to do a lot better but the system is holding them back. Richarlison and Iwobi could be a really big problem for teams in the half spaces but they are very rarely there.

They both have potential but it´s always the question whether they´ll realise it. Aspects of their game are very good but there are reasons why they´re both at Everton and not a top level team. We could talk about Everton all night, shame it´s for the wrong reasons lol

We do not have the mix against park the bus teams. We mainly play down the flanks and send crosses in but usually the park the bus teams have solid grocks who will eat up all the crosses. We cannot play through the middle because we either haven't players good enough to thread a pass or our forward players cannot create an extra yard off the defender. That was easy for Sheff Utd to defend against yet we cannot defend set pieces very well and get caught out on counters to easily. Either our players are not good enough or the tactics are too predictable

It’s not riding your luck. It’s having a system and sticking to it. These got 2 at Chelsea and were unlucky to leave there with only 1 point.

They set up how they set up and we played right into their hands. Excellent management from Wilder.
If the system is dropping deep and trying to score off the odd corner you're riding your luck. Hitting on 17 in blackjack is a system but making money off of it is still going to require a lot of good fortune.

They both have potential but it´s always the question whether they´ll realise it. Aspects of their game are very good but there are reasons why they´re both at Everton and not a top level team. We could talk about Everton all night, shame it´s for the wrong reasons lol
I thought Richarlison was good and would have produced something but then we went and changed every possible thing and he got lost.

To be honest, I don' t believe that our attacking players are not top tier. We have a potentially good front line (Rciharlison, Kean, Iwobi, for example) but our central midfield is so consumed with building up from the back and lacks any creativity to break down a stacked defence. Add to that we are then vulnerable on set pieces and on the break.

Compared with the top 6 I don´t think our front line is as good. There´s potential for our players to improve and do better but right now that´s all it is, potential. If a quality new manager did come in, I´m not convinced he´d be too thrilled by the options available.

Compared with the top 6 I don´t think our front line is as good. There´s potential for our players to improve and do better but right now that´s all it is, potential. If a quality new manager did come in, I´m not convinced he´d be too thrilled by the options available.

This. The manager isn’t great but neither are the players. The overhyping of the players from a large section of the fan base every summer/transfer window seems to stop.

When people say things like Richarlison is worth £90 million I wonder if they ever watch any football outside of our games.

This. The manager isn’t great but neither are the players. The overhyping of the players from a large section of the fan base every summer/transfer window seems to stop.

When people say things like Richarlison is worth £90 million I wonder if they ever watch any football outside of our games.
How much did we pay for him again? You have to imagine in the current crazy market he has probably held his value. Probably not much above it though as we overpaid in the first place in my opinion. But the crazy transfer fee inflation means that, until the bubble bursts, some other mug would probably give us our money back!

We have got 1 point from the following:
Crystal Palace (a)
Aston Villa (a)
Bournemouth (a)
Sheff Utd (h)

100% relegation form.
I will say again what I said several pages earlier in this thread.
Get rid of Silva. Clueless.
Give Mourinho a blank cheque to sort out the on-pitch performance, and to radically change the backroom staff. Give him a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to take on and better the RS in their own backyard! I believe he would relish the prospect.
Do it now while there is still a chance to salvage something from this season.

They rarely rode their luck. They were difficult to play against, and allowed us just three shots on target all game.

Yes we had 71% of possession and 15 shots compared to 2 for Sheff Utd. Once Mina's freak goal went in we had little idea and Sheffield scored again with a rare foray upfield.

They were very lucky to hardly threaten and score two but it says as much about our own failings as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.