Match Thread Everton v West Ham Utd; Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll.

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Better intensity would have won that today. Our lack of desire to win headers today annoyed me a lot.
It woudn't, though Tim, because we need quality.

Intensity doesn't make Iwobi make contact with a golden chance five yards out, or turn Rondon into a good player or Godfrey into a good aerial defender. It also doesn't make our defensive set up from set-pieces, which has been awful all season, better, does it?

We didn't get out to block crosses quickly enough. That's an intensity issue. But it's also been the case all season.

For all the talk of us being more organised this year, I think it's drivel. We've rarely looked organised other than against Brighton and, kind of, Man Utd.

We allow far too many crosses into the area and we don't defend them well when they come in unless Mina meets it.

It woudn't, though Tim, because we need quality.

Intensity doesn't make Iwobi make contact with a golden chance five yards out, or turn Rondon into a good player or Godfrey into a good aerial defender. It also doesn't make our defensive set up from set-pieces, which has been awful all season, better, does it?

We didn't get out to block crosses quickly enough. That's an intensity issue. But it's also been the case all season.

For all the talk of us being more organised this year, I think it's drivel. We've rarely looked organised other than against Brighton and, kind of, Man Utd.

We allow far too many crosses into the area and we don't defend them well when they come in unless Mina meets it.
There was absolutely nothing in the game other than them being better at set pieces at both ends than us. They wanted to win headers and we didn't. Godfrey is an absolute liability in the air.

They offered little quality but much higher work rate and desire. We couldn't defend set pieces properly. That's why they won.

Mina should have been on at half time. You cant carry a centre back who can't win a header against a strong physical moyes side.

Pretty hopeless again.
Iwobi and Rondon should have been hooked at half time.
Yes, Gordon and Dobbin may have struggled, but it's easy to be better than offering nothing.

Can we please stop painting this as a golden age of Everton football please?

….the reality is the squad lacks depth, Richarlison & DCL make a huge difference to this team. Rondon is a totally ineffective ‘Blob’ up front who is incapable of even the basics.

We rode our luck but can have no complaints with the result. It’s basic goalkeeping to pluck the ball off an outfield players head when both have an equal run at the ball, it should be easy but we conceded a corner and they are strong from corners.

Thought Coleman and Keane were our best today, but went for Keane because Coleman wasted a few decent situations late on.

What hurts most today is that West Ham are clearly a better side than we are with a squad that is comfortably superior.
Said that last season. They have a better squad than we do for sure. Half our bench are either GKs or wouldn’t get a game in the Championship!

37% possession, at home, to a team we should be targeting to finish ahead of. I get we are now a counter attacking team, but what else is going to happen when we sit deep and give them 9 corners? It's embarrassing. And rondon is a joke. Be better starting Gordon as a striker. At least he will get about and he won't just be a passenger.
Loads of things went wrong today. Players where not at the same intensity as they have been. Wrong choice passes. Think we all saw we needed an extra player in the middle of the park. Playing with 10 men with rondon up top. 9 and half of you include iwobi first half display. Benitez not make a sub on 60th min when was clear we needed fresh legs. Ref was dodgy. Pickford foul or not needed to be stronger there. And we are all over the place when comes to set pieces. Big shout for me is the amount of corners we conceded, against a team like that. Need to be smarter and try and force the players back or on to weak foot.

….the reality is the squad lacks depth, Richarlison & DCL make a huge difference to this team. Rondon is a totally ineffective ‘Blob’ up front who is incapable of even the basics.

We rode our luck but can have no complaints with the result. It’s basic goalkeeping to pluck the ball off an outfield players head when both have an equal run at the ball, it should be easy but we conceded a corner and they are strong from corners.

Thought Coleman and Keane were our best today, but went for Keane because Coleman wasted a few decent situations late on.
I am not sure at home playing this way surrendering possession to the opposition allowing them to settle even to Norwich and Burnley doesn't get the crowd engaged enough probably works better away from home we looked way to passive and no intensity

what is going on with the atmosphere this season?

flat from the off today, bad vs Norwich and pretty poor against Saints too

There was absolutely nothing in the game other than them being better at set pieces at both ends than us. They wanted to win headers and we didn't. Godfrey is an absolute liability in the air.

They offered little quality but much higher work rate and desire. We couldn't defend set pieces properly. That's why they won.

Mina should have been on at half time. You cant carry a centre back who can't win a header against a strong physical moyes side.
I agree but don't think Mina was ever gonna play barring coming on for 5 mins if we had the lead at the end.

Today reminded me of pretty much all our games in the back 3 months of last season.

I agree but don't think Mina was ever gonna play barring coming on for 5 mins if we had the lead at the end.

Today reminded me of pretty much all our games in the back 3 months of last season.
I'm just not happy with any defence with Godfrey at centre back. You cant play centre half in this league if you don't fancy the aerial challenges.

Status
Not open for further replies.