Match Thread Everton v Wolverhampton Wanderers - Preview, Match Report & MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone who thinks this Wolves team are poor, will be in for a bit of a shock, watched these v Man U and should have won.
They attack with lots of pace and movement, so if Keane plays this could be a Watford or Newcastle at home last season result
I've watched both their games and they are going to rip us apart if we play like we did against Villa. We can try a couple of personnel changes, sure, but we need players who have been performing poorly to suddenly improve.

Fully expect Keane was told he’s out early this week. Namedropping Godfrey might be just be a Dyche man management thing or part of his no yoof agenda when he starts ahead of JB.
Worst case is them scoring early second half & GP goes in full on revolt as our heads immediately drop. Best case Danjuma gets a run at Dawson for a pen & we hang on.

Fully expect Keane was told he’s out early this week. Namedropping Godfrey might be just be a Dyche man management thing or part of his no yoof agenda when he starts ahead of JB.
Worst case is them scoring early second half & GP goes in full on revolt as our heads immediately drop. Best case Danjuma gets a run at Dawson for a pen & we hang on.

Agree. I’m pretty sure Godfrey will start here. Keane simply can’t start for a while at least now.

Agree. I’m pretty sure Godfrey will start here. Keane simply can’t start for a while at least now.
If you wanted to be kind you’d say Keane wasn’t awful against Fulham. Much more focus on Maupay immediately showing his issues.
We all knew the Villa cluster of a performance from him was coming. It’s now happened. Dyche tried to give the senior pro a chance but won’t choose this hill to die on.

Everton vs Wolves​

Michael Beardmore (@MickeyBeardmore)
I’m amazed to see BTTS ‘Yes’ the favourite over BOTH TEAMS TO SCORE 'NO' in a battle between two sides who couldn’t hit the proverbial barn door based on the evidence of the two opening Premier League weekends.
It's like betting on a traffic light to be red rather than green or the next person to walk through the door to be blonde rather than dark-haired - plausible and possible, for sure, but definitely the unlikelier eventuality of the two.
Granted, Wolves did grab a second-half consolation against Brighton last Saturday but that is the only goal either of these teams has scored across more than six hours of football so far this season.
These problems aren’t new either – Everton and Wolves stayed up last season based on acceptable defensive records, registering the top flight’s lowest ‘Goals Scored’ tallies of 34 and 31 respectively.
Graphic of last season's lowest scoring Premier League teams

Neither side has a first-choice striker to make you sit up and take notice and while it’s so early on in the season that it should be ridiculous to say this is a six-pointer – it doesn’t actually seem so ridiculous.
Both sit in the bottom two with zero points and each will want to avoid beginning the season with three straight defeats, meaning this has all the hallmarks of a cagey affair at Goodison.
Score prediction: Everton 0-0 Wolves (Sky Bet odds: 17/2)

Not looking forward to this from our perspective either.

Feels like we're doing our best to go down, but could be a poor season this time with Luton & Sheff Utd hopefully not getting many points.

As an outsider this seems the best time to play you with the injuries. Might be in the minority but I think you've got a decent enough team when players come back to fitness. McNeil, Harrison and Danjuma are all quite good, so glad two can't play. Obviously pleased DCL isn't there.

We've been very strange this season. Great performance against United, cheated out of a penalty for a point.

Appeared that gave us a lot of unwarranted confidence, as O'Neil decided to set us up man for man against Brighton. Very brave. The scoreline shows it was wrong but we did miss two sitters at 0-1 that could have made it different.

Nunes has been the standout player in pre-season and is suspended, so good news for you, although not sure he would've played anyway given Man City's interest.

Expecting:

Sa
Semedo, Dawson, Kilman, Ait-Nouri
Neto, Lemina, Gomes, Hwang
Sarabia
Cunha

Everything we heard from Bournemouth fans was that O'Neil was pragmatic, defensive etc. so to see the first two games have been very surprising. Ultimately, still don't know what his team is about, but would expect a more cautious setup this weekend, even if we perhaps shouldn't. It was pretty ridiculous watching Craig Dawson play a high line and trying to man-mark Enciso though :D

We have a terrible record against Dyche, so have to think we'll lose again. Just get the sense with this Wolves side that they'll find a way to lose, which is not a good trait to have. Would take a point to get off the mark.

Real contrasting thoughts among our fans. The outside noise is a lot different to many. We only lost one key starter (Neves) this summer despite the talk, and some believe the likes of Gomes, Fabio Silva, Ait-Nouri etc. can be brilliant if given a run, but even after two games it feels we need to get a win.

On the other hand, some feel we're nailed on for relegation, and the only hope is Luton, Sheff Utd struggle and you get a points deduction. Sorry to take it off topic, but can anyone give a brief summary on where you're at with that? I see a lot of outsiders say things like Everton will get points docked in this hearing in October, yet from what I've read (limited) from your end, doesn't seem to be too much concern?

Not looking forward to this from our perspective either.

Feels like we're doing our best to go down, but could be a poor season this time with Luton & Sheff Utd hopefully not getting many points.

As an outsider this seems the best time to play you with the injuries. Might be in the minority but I think you've got a decent enough team when players come back to fitness. McNeil, Harrison and Danjuma are all quite good, so glad two can't play. Obviously pleased DCL isn't there.

We've been very strange this season. Great performance against United, cheated out of a penalty for a point.

Appeared that gave us a lot of unwarranted confidence, as O'Neil decided to set us up man for man against Brighton. Very brave. The scoreline shows it was wrong but we did miss two sitters at 0-1 that could have made it different.

Nunes has been the standout player in pre-season and is suspended, so good news for you, although not sure he would've played anyway given Man City's interest.

Expecting:

Sa
Semedo, Dawson, Kilman, Ait-Nouri
Neto, Lemina, Gomes, Hwang
Sarabia
Cunha

Everything we heard from Bournemouth fans was that O'Neil was pragmatic, defensive etc. so to see the first two games have been very surprising. Ultimately, still don't know what his team is about, but would expect a more cautious setup this weekend, even if we perhaps shouldn't. It was pretty ridiculous watching Craig Dawson play a high line and trying to man-mark Enciso though :D

We have a terrible record against Dyche, so have to think we'll lose again. Just get the sense with this Wolves side that they'll find a way to lose, which is not a good trait to have. Would take a point to get off the mark.

Real contrasting thoughts among our fans. The outside noise is a lot different to many. We only lost one key starter (Neves) this summer despite the talk, and some believe the likes of Gomes, Fabio Silva, Ait-Nouri etc. can be brilliant if given a run, but even after two games it feels we need to get a win.

On the other hand, some feel we're nailed on for relegation, and the only hope is Luton, Sheff Utd struggle and you get a points deduction. Sorry to take it off topic, but can anyone give a brief summary on where you're at with that? I see a lot of outsiders say things like Everton will get points docked in this hearing in October, yet from what I've read (limited) from your end, doesn't seem to be too much concern?
The FFP issue is about tax on the stadium apparently, so I think it's very unlikely we get a points deduction more likely a big fine and a window ban or squad reduction but who knows as we exceeded allowable losses over a three year period. But it was during COvID and we were working with the EPL on our books so if so then the EPL will be shown to be in the wrong for signing off on it if we are found guilty? Also our losses have dramatically reduced to 45m last year and we are even currently so they may take that into account.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back