Everton XI 5-0 Fleetwood Town XI (Behind-closed-doors friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.
...the challenge to the coaching staff is that players are on different fitness paths. Not ideal, but all would've needed some 'down time' in the summer and unfortunately this couldn't coincide for all. I don't think behind closed doors friendlies are unusual, particularly at this time of year.

How many of our squad were at the World Cup? 6-7? It's understandable that their not ready but what about the likes of McCarthy, Barry or Distin looking tired in games.

I'm going out on a limb here, but given that we have games against Arsenal and Chelsea coming up, maybe Martinez is looking at those and wanting to peak for those games, so the players are still a bit leggy last weekend because they were training hard before tapering a bit for this weekend.

Maybe?

I´ve just asked you that question. What is the negative reason, you seem to be suggesting, for Rom and Kev not playing in preseason?

I suggested that the manager thought it was necessary. He would know more about their levels and where he wants them to be at than us.

I mentioned Hazard and Ross as an extreme example of just because Chelsea do something doesn´t mean we should do it, and doesn´t automatically mean what we are doing is wrong.

I didn't really get your wording.

The negative reason is that they are behind in terms of fitness, negatively impacting our season, when it would appear that they don't need the huge rest that they have had, because they didn't actually do much in the World Cup, compared to other players who did more and are already playing.

How many of our squad were at the World Cup? 6-7? It's understandable that their not ready but what about the likes of McCarthy, Barry or Distin looking tired in games.

Exactly - That team started with 7 players that weren't at the world cup.

If anything the world cup should have given us an advantage over the other top teams early in the season.

I'm going out on a limb here, but given that we have games against Arsenal and Chelsea coming up, maybe Martinez is looking at those and wanting to peak for those games, so the players are still a bit leggy last weekend because they were training hard before tapering a bit for this weekend.

Maybe?

1 behind closed doors friendly at this stage of the season is hardly going to be the difference to them being ready for Saturday though the players I'm referring to have been in training now for about 7 weeks.

To suggest that we're playing friendlies at Finch Farm because our pre-season was "badly planned" is absurd tbh.

As others have said, the World Cup has disrupted most squads, ours included. With a long season ahead of us it's only natural to get the entire squad fit, sharp & ready to be called upon whenever.

1 behind closed doors friendly at this stage of the season is hardly going to be the difference to them being ready for Saturday though the players I'm referring to have been in training now for about 7 weeks.

We'll see I suppose. All any of us can do is speculate. Only Martinez and his team will have data on the readiness of the players.

I didn't really get your wording.

The negative reason is that they are behind in terms of fitness, negatively impacting our season, when it would appear that they don't need the huge rest that they have had, because they didn't actually do much in the World Cup, compared to other players who did more and are already playing.

Thats a possible negative outcome, not a negative reason.

Basically are you saying that the manager has just organised it badly? What do you think the reason is for them not playing? Bob just not too bothered?

I´d say it´s more than likely all planned, and as somebody said above judge preseason by the end of the season not by lacklustre preseason performances and comparing our treatment of a couple of key players to what multibillion pound clubs decide to do with one of their many many stars that they can easily afford to cover if they get injured from overworking them or when they tire too soon.

Pre-season did seem strange but this is a long season ahead .. these players will be in their prime towards the start of the new year where as players like schurrle will suffer burn out!

I just can't see why people can't trust Martinez & the backroom staff here. As well as being a top coach Martinez himself is a qualified physiotherapist. He knows what he's doing.

Must have been a Fleetwood 11- they played a league game last night.
it's bizarre Everton's pre season planning was so bad they are having to go behind closed doors at his stage.
Worst pre season ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back