Everton Youth Teams Thread

This is true to some extent. But if you have a player like Branthwaite for example, who currently is at worst a championship level player, you can find him a loan in League 1 or 2 if no one in the championship jumps at it because he is a good player above what those clubs can probably get. So at least for our good youngsters, Branthwaite, Gibson, Nkounkou, Gordon and possibly Simms, loans should be attainable at some level.
Well, yes, but that then ignores the wishes of the player and his agent. Would he rather stay around and about the first team, hopefully impressing Carlo and other training staff, than go to a club that everyone agrees is below his level and risk an injury playing on inferior pitches with inferior players and in inferior training conditions. What does it say about his future potential if, for example, he goes to a relegation-threatened Wigan Athletic and then picks up a niggle and/or doesn't fit into a new manager's plans?

League One and Two loans do have their place, as we have seen with plenty of young players (Ledson, Bidwell, Connolly, etc.), but they are possibly more of an indicator that the player has a future in the professional game, rather than a future at EFC.

A loan at this stage to that level would probably be an insult to Branthwaite (already proved himself at that level), Nkounkou (possibly given certain assurances when he came here) and Gordon (already played decently in PL).

Gibson, for whatever reason, is probably headed down the road of players such as Ledson mentioned above.

And Simms, not sure about a loan at that level (or him in general). Could be make or break. Certainly he appeared utterly disinterested in the second half of the recent academy match.

At 18 there is no harm to anyone saying he has unlimited potential. Branthwaite doesn't read this.
I'm just giving my opinion from what I've see in the 1st team and u23s, backed up by what people that have worked with him have said.
We'll probably balls up his development because we won't give him the right opportunities, it's what we do with young talent, block their path with overrated wage drains cos it's the Premier league model generally.
It's not about him reading it, it's about other people reading it, and the expectation that it leads to. Unlimited potential basically means there's the potential that he's going to be world class, but I just don't think we have enough evidence to make that sort of call. I'm not saying he can't, just that I don't think we know anywhere near enough to say he can.

I disagree that it's fine to say just because he's 18. It's basically saying that if he tries hard enough he can be the best player in the world, with the natural conclusion then being that if he doesn't turn out to be world class, it's because he didn't try hard enough. It's just something we've seen with a lot of young players. I mean people got annoyed with Barkley's development. How crazy is that? A lad who came through our youth ranks going on to get 30 odd (and counting) England caps and people were saying when he was 22/23 that he'd been a disappointment and 'not kicked on'. That's because he'd been massively overhyped to begin with and people's expectations were way beyond what his ability was going to allow him to achieve.

We all get overexcited and make proclamations - good and bad - about players in the heat of the moment, but generally speaking I just think it's best to say someone like Branthwaite looks a good prospect. There's a long way to go before he's even matching someone like Holgate's career and again, if he does that he should be thinking he's had a career to be proud of, not that he's been a let down. As I said, I'm not trying to have a go because I know you're being genuine, but I really think it's unhelpful to talk about lads at his stage of development (not necessarily age) like that.

8th Placed Everton u23s are away to 7th Placed Brighton u23s tonight 7pm ko looking to close the 5 point gap to the top place in what is their final game for nearly 5 weeks, And Everton will actually be looking for there 1st away league win since they last won at Brighton in september 2019 [lost 8 from last 10 away]. The next game is the u23s Mersey Derby on Jan 18th [Leaders Chelsea play man utd midday live on Youtube].
The game at the Minute is NOT actually down to be LIVE on Brighton's website and they now seem to be choosing only certain games to show live instead of all like they did last season [Hopefully it changes through the day],

--------------
While tomorrow 11am,6th placed Everton u18s are home to Burnley u18s in their final game for nearly 5 weeks at the minute, They are looking to go 5th 2 points off 4th with a win home to a Burnley side that have lost 6 from 10 including that comeback win from us early October when we were 2 down only to score 3 late goals v 10men with 2 of the goals been from Thierry Small in last few minutes

Last edited:
FA YOUTH CUP

Round 1 - Final Score
Irlam 0 Notts County 6

Round 2 -
18th Dec 6pm
Wigan v Notts County

Round 3 - No date yet
Everton v Wigan/Notts County
----------------------------------------------------

If We beat Wigan or Notts County in 3rd round
Everton u18s will be away to Birmingham or Man City in 4th round - Games due to be played by Saturday 30 January

the athletic doing an article on small now for anyone that subscribes.
the hype is a bit early, hopefully hes level headed.
Yeah I read that , to be honest not a lot more than we know already , although the one major new bit for me was that his birthday is in August , so another 8 months before we can sign him up to a pro contract. Cue mutch speculation about Bayern , Juventus, Arsenal etc in the interim.
It would have been nice if they’d included a bit about his defensive deficiencies ,he’s a highly promising 16 year old player but it seems that most people making comments on him have never bothered to watch him and are going on BBC videos.
Edit: Just reread the article and in fairness to them they do quote Unsworth as saying he needs to work on defensive deficiencies , and end with saying a first team debut any time soon appears a stretch . For me though it’s still a compilation of quotes from Carlo, Unsworth and Martin Waldron which have appeared elsewhere , it would have been nice to see some originality based on seeing his u23/ u18 performances.

Last edited:
FA YOUTH CUP

Round 1 - Final Score
Irlam 0 Notts County 6

Round 2 -
18th Dec 6pm
Wigan v Notts County

Round 3 - No date yet
Everton v Wigan/Notts County
----------------------------------------------------

If We beat Wigan or Notts County in 3rd round
Everton u18s will be away to Birmingham or Man City in 4th round - Games due to be played by Saturday 30 January

THE FULL FA YOUTH CUP 4TH ROUND DRAW, if any want to know
Some 2nd/3rd round etc still to be played, while certain 1st round games have only took place the last 7 days

Exeter City v Leicester City or Sheffield Wednesday
2 Ipswich Town v Metropolitan Police or Swindon Town or Bromley
3 Peterborough United or Doncaster Rovers v Charlton Athletic or Sheffield United
4 Newcastle United or Eastbourne Borough v Leeds United or Milton Keynes Dons
5 Southampton v Stoke City or Burton Albion or Mansfield Town
6 Manchester City or Birmingham City v Everton or Wigan Athletic or Notts County
7 Fleetwood Town v Bristol City
8 Blackburn Rovers v Arsenal
9 AFC Sudbury or AFC Wimbledon or Burnley v Tottenham Hotspur or Newport County or Brockenhurst
10 Salford City or Tranmere Rovers or Manchester United v Liverpool or Sutton United or Camberley Town
11 Basford United or Grimsby Town or West Bromwich Albion v Cardiff City
12 Chelsea v Cambridge United or AFC Fylde
13 Wolverhampton Wanderers or Norwich City v West Ham United
14 Lincoln City or Preston North End v Watford
15 Swansea City v Middlesbrough
16 Aston Villa v Brighton & Hove Albion

Yeah I read that , to be honest not a lot more than we know already , although the one major new bit for me was that his birthday is in August , so another 8 months before we can sign him up to a pro contract. Cue mutch speculation about Bayern , Juventus, Arsenal etc in the interim.
It would have been nice if they’d included a bit about his defensive deficiencies ,he’s a highly promising 16 year old player but it seems that most people making comments on him have never bothered to watch him and are going on BBC videos.
Edit: Just reread the article and in fairness to them they do quote Unsworth as saying he needs to work on defensive deficiencies , and end with saying a first team debut any time soon appears a stretch . For me though it’s still a compilation of quotes from Carlo, Unsworth and Martin Waldron which have appeared elsewhere , it would have been nice to see some originality based on seeing his u23/ u18 performances.

yeh it was fairly pointless, just an article to join the hype train.

THE FULL FA YOUTH CUP 4TH ROUND DRAW, if any want to know
Some 2nd/3rd round etc still to be played, while certain 1st round games have only took place the last 7 days

Exeter City v Leicester City or Sheffield Wednesday
2 Ipswich Town v Metropolitan Police or Swindon Town or Bromley
3 Peterborough United or Doncaster Rovers v Charlton Athletic or Sheffield United
4 Newcastle United or Eastbourne Borough v Leeds United or Milton Keynes Dons
5 Southampton v Stoke City or Burton Albion or Mansfield Town
6 Manchester City or Birmingham City v Everton or Wigan Athletic or Notts County
7 Fleetwood Town v Bristol City
8 Blackburn Rovers v Arsenal
9 AFC Sudbury or AFC Wimbledon or Burnley v Tottenham Hotspur or Newport County or Brockenhurst
10 Salford City or Tranmere Rovers or Manchester United v Liverpool or Sutton United or Camberley Town
11 Basford United or Grimsby Town or West Bromwich Albion v Cardiff City
12 Chelsea v Cambridge United or AFC Fylde
13 Wolverhampton Wanderers or Norwich City v West Ham United
14 Lincoln City or Preston North End v Watford
15 Swansea City v Middlesbrough
16 Aston Villa v Brighton & Hove Albion

another early exit for us on the cards as usual

another early exit for us on the cards as usual
Maybe, but we drew 2-2 in league earlier this season- actually led there as well-- actually due to play them home in league late Jan also
That city v Birmingham game is 14th Jan, we have no date at the minute for our 3rd round game--it may even end up on city website via there tv channel

last 7 v city is Everton 2 wins , City 3 wins, 2 draws last 2 games

Last edited:

Maybe, but we drew 2-2 in league earlier this season- actually led there as well-- actually due to play them home in league late Jan also
That city v Birmingham game is 14th Jan, we have no date at the minute for our 3rd round game--it may even end up on city website via there tv channel

last 7 v city is Everton 2 wins , City 3 wins, 2 draws

its more our record in the youth cup has been so abysmal in recent past

8th Placed Everton u23s are away to 7th Placed Brighton u23s tonight 7pm ko looking to close the 8 point gap to the top place in what is their final game for nearly 5 weeks, And Everton will actually be looking for there 1st away league win since they last won at Brighton in september 2019 [lost 8 from last 10 away]. While Brighton have lost the last 3 u23s league home games . The next game after tonight is the u23s Mersey Derby on Jan 18th

The game at the Minute is NOT actually down to be LIVE on Brighton's website and they now seem to be choosing only certain games to show live instead of all like they did last season [Hopefully it changes through the day]

Team only said at 7pm-GAME NOT LIVE

Everton u23s Team

1608318450938.webp

1608318469205.webp

Everton u23s 1-0 on 20mins - Einar Iverson
Einar Iverson swivels and fires past Rushworth from eight yards out to put Everton in the lead.

------------------------------------
Everton u23s 2-0 on 32mins - Ellis Simms
Simms doubles Everton's lead with a smart finish into the bottom right corner after being played in by Iverson.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back