Everton Youth Teams Thread

Considering James Trafford is the most highly rated young goalkeeper in the country and has really struggled at PL level this year and lost his place at 21 tells you all you need to know!
Pickford was playing league one at age 20!
And you want to give some kid the number 1 shirt at 20 years of age?

Not sure that using an England squads 4th choice keeper is the best example.

I wanted the boy Brighton signed who is 21 Verbruggen.

given our current financial predicament pickford will be sold in the next summer or 2

Perhaps...

I think James Trafford was called up for the last two England friendly games as a replacement for Johnstone who pulled out through injury.

Indeed.

Not sure that using an England squads 4th choice keeper is the best example.

I wanted the boy Brighton signed who is 21 Verbruggen.

Perhaps...

Indeed.

Who has only played half the games that Brighton have played this season in competition with Jason Steele!

Again, a 21 year old goalkeeper, who obviously is talented, is not number 1 goalkeeper for his PL side!

And you want a 20 year old as our number 1?

Who has only played half the games that Brighton have played this season in competition with Jason Steele!

Again, a 21 year old goalkeeper, who obviously is talented, is not number 1 goalkeeper for his PL side!

And you want a 20 year old as our number 1?

So in 4 years with Pickford 34 and his backup a 20 years old (hopefully if he stays and progresses) England u21 player.

You dont think thats a great pair to have, with the youngster pushing the senior?

Which is what i wrote.

At this point in the season the U18 side really needs to be just a mix of first years and 16s. The second years like Ebere, JBC, Patterson should be in the 21s at this stage. It's been a really disappointing season as far as thats concerned for me
1st year Scholars featuring at u21 has been disappointing too, only Armstrong has started regularly, Catesby and Morgan before his injury, have also featured off the bench , Pickford on the bench but I don’t think he’s played . We seem to have lost that momentum we had when Whitaker, Price, Butterfield etc were moved up early. But , if the talent is not there……

1st year Scholars featuring at u21 has been disappointing too, only Armstrong has started regularly, Catesby and Morgan before his injury, have also featured off the bench , Pickford on the bench but I don’t think he’s played . We seem to have lost that momentum we had when Whitaker, Price, Butterfield etc were moved up early. But , if the talent is not there……
Yeah I don't think there's many firsts that could've moved up as the 2 with some of the most promise have had some injury problems (Catesby and Morgan) and Armstrong is clearly the most highly rated.

With that said regardless of how well thought of he is I can't see why Josh Van Schoor wasn't bumped up though, he was arguably the only left back in the entire academy at one point when Hunt was with the seniors and instead we moved Kyle John there. We could've even moved Dixon over and promoted Finney who I've liked the look of. Same again for putting Onyango centre back rather than a younger player recently- if they aren't commiting to Onyango centre back full time then it was just filling in that a younger player could've done.

At a time when all the talk is about 'pathways' the club hasn't really done itself much favours on its reputation this season. They have however named a very young squad today, with the exception of Fraser Barnsley(!) playing down

At this point in the season the U18 side really needs to be just a mix of first years and 16s. The second years like Ebere, JBC, Patterson should be in the 21s at this stage. It's been a really disappointing season as far as thats concerned for me
Injuries to ebere and sherif haven't helped but both should have been moved up but we seem light years away academy wise for a club our size