Everton Youth Teams Thread

Has Welch not progressed?

Anyone from the u18s that is highly rated and could improve in the u21s next season?

….saw him get bullied by a 5ft 5in striker from a lower league club in the FA Youth Cup a few seasons ago and immediately had my doubts. His lack of competitiveness has been confirmed since, such a shame given his size and athleticism.

I know it takes a while to work through but Thelwell has appointed a number of people to key Academy posts but I notice one is leaving already.

Has Welch not progressed?

Anyone from the u18s that is highly rated and could improve in the u21s next season?
It was a general comment really that I applied to all outfielders apart from Dobbin and Metcalfe, not just Welch. There are players that we’ve seen had promise, like Whitaker, Dixon , Onyango who , for various reasons particularly injury, have just not stepped up . Others including Warrington, Kouyate , Butterfied for me have never shown enough consistency to say they could step up.

The u18s are a bit puzzling. It seems like the 1st years have some potential with the likes of Armstrong, Catesby, Morgan, Pickford but the 2nd years like Sherif, Apter, Bates, Patterson and Ebere who have impressed at times , have mostly been injured and certainly not being playing regularly at u21 as you’d expect if they showed promise. It’s hard to see how the u21s can improve next season without an influx of players and changes to the coaching staff.

3-0 defeat to the team who are keeping us from being bottom of PL 2 . I could write something positive about all 10 starting outfielders , they all have good points , but the reality is that , desperate as we are for young players to come through, only Dobbin and Metcalfe have a chance of featuring for the 1st team next season. It pains me to say that, I would love to be wrong.

So we ended up next to bottom in the PL 2 league , 1 point clear of bottom club Derby . Shocking.
Very few if any kids coming through
Any signings are likely to be freebies
Half the stadium to be sold
Where is any optimism coming from?

It was a general comment really that I applied to all outfielders apart from Dobbin and Metcalfe, not just Welch. There are players that we’ve seen had promise, like Whitaker, Dixon , Onyango who , for various reasons particularly injury, have just not stepped up . Others including Warrington, Kouyate , Butterfied for me have never shown enough consistency to say they could step up.

The u18s are a bit puzzling. It seems like the 1st years have some potential with the likes of Armstrong, Catesby, Morgan, Pickford but the 2nd years like Sherif, Apter, Bates, Patterson and Ebere who have impressed at times , have mostly been injured and certainly not being playing regularly at u21 as you’d expect if they showed promise. It’s hard to see how the u21s can improve next season without an influx of players and changes to the coaching staff.
The second year scholars definitely had problems with injuries this season, Apter out long term, Patterson had knee surgery in november, Think Sherif and Ebere have injuries again. Bates is the only one that stayed injury free. They actually play decent football at full strength if you look at their form from Since late January when Ebere hit form and they were only missing Apter they were good.
Think The director of football and academy director will have a busy summer looking at pathways if these guys are gonna be fit to return to 21s in pre season

The second year scholars definitely had problems with injuries this season, Apter out long term, Patterson had knee surgery in november, Think Sherif and Ebere have injuries again. Bates is the only one that stayed injury free. They actually play decent football at full strength if you look at their form from Since late January when Ebere hit form and they were only missing Apter they were good.
Think The director of football and academy director will have a busy summer looking at pathways if these guys are gonna be fit to return to 21s in pre season

need rid of all the players over 20 that have no chance of ever threatening the first team squad. play really young teams in both u21s and u18s next few seasons.
also bin some of the ones below 20 that are just terrible like Jones and samuels-smith.

Moonan was sent off after 64 minutes.
Also good to see Lukjanciks in the line-up up after recent talk of him leaving

So Lukjanciks is playing two years up as a 16 year old.

Was just checking who would be ahead of him in the u21s next season? Pickford, Graham, Barnsley, Leban and Crellin?

Virginia and Tyrer of course just a bit older.

Seems like weve got a stack of keepers for the u21s...whats the point of that?

Would be interesting to know what Lukjanciks "pathway" is. If hes the top prospect at GK then Id hope hes in our u21s at 17.

So Lukjanciks is playing two years up as a 16 year old.

Was just checking who would be ahead of him in the u21s next season? Pickford, Graham, Barnsley, Leban and Crellin?

Virginia and Tyrer of course just a bit older.

Seems like weve got a stack of keepers for the u21s...whats the point of that?

Would be interesting to know what Lukjanciks "pathway" is. If hes the top prospect at GK then Id hope hes in our u21s at 17.
There's also Seb Jensen who's been out on loan at Sandbach this season. I expect Pickford may go out on loan (Tyrer and Leban too ofc). Jensen and Barnsley share the 21s role. Graham leaves. Lukjanciks probably does a season in the 18s then goes out on loan as soon as he's legal (next summer?). Seems to me that we're aggressively using the loan market for our goalies and it seems to be going pretty well so far.

Edit: I forgot Crellin which sums up about where he is. Just a spare part but seems to happy to be one.

Last edited: