evolved tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think Martinez has changed much about how he sets the team up, and what he expects of them at all tbh, I just think this year, at times the players seem more willing/able to carry out his orders. Barry being pish last year had a lot to do with our poor form.

The formation/system hasn't really changed much at all - we just seem a bit more confident for whatever reason.

Tactics haven't changed but players have. Deulofeu and Kone on flanks is a world away from Etoo and Naismith. Lukaku and Barkley are also fit this season. We have options off the bench as well now.

The formation/system hasn't really changed much at all - we just seem a bit more confident for whatever reason.

younger, more energetic, vibrant players ? Barry playing better ? better camaraderie ? more efective Lukaku leading from the front ? ..

otherwise no discernible change to this fan's eyes.

This is a very good point.

For those of you who like myself have played the game as a kid and later in adult life in a competitive standard, you will know that confidence is a massive thing in football and sometimes often underestimated.

It's interesting how we're setting up the wide men. The right side is quite traditional in the sense that we have Coleman bombing on and usually a traditional right winger in front of him. On the left though, we've had the more defensive Galloway with either Naismith or Kone usually in front of him, neither of whom are really wingers.

I can't think of many instances where we've played two proper wingers rather than a winger and a forward, whether that's by design or because Naismith got a hat-trick against Chelsea and thus stayed in for a bit, and Kone has done well recently so will now presumably do likewise.

younger, more energetic, vibrant players ? Barry playing better ? better camaraderie ? more efective Lukaku leading from the front ? ..

otherwise no discernible change to this fan's eyes.

Apart from the first point, they're all linked to confidence - I'm not sure what has happened to improve it, especially as the transfer window was a little underwhelming.

Definitely a change in personnel and better fitness has contributed to our form, but I also think there's been a few minor tweaks to the system.

McCarthy seems to be encouraged to get ahead of the ball and make runs past players. Barkley seems to be given license to drop deeper. Kone seems to be encouraged to drift inside as an extra striker. In all it seems we have a bit more fluidity in attack. Our defending and set pieces still give me nightmares though!

It's interesting how we're setting up the wide men. The right side is quite traditional in the sense that we have Coleman bombing on and usually a traditional right winger in front of him. On the left though, we've had the more defensive Galloway with either Naismith or Kone usually in front of him, neither of whom are really wingers.

I can't think of many instances where we've played two proper wingers rather than a winger and a forward, whether that's by design or because Naismith got a hat-trick against Chelsea and thus stayed in for a bit, and Kone has done well recently so will now presumably do likewise.

because we don't have Baines there and instead have a 19yo lad playing most games mate and he wants someone more 'tactically disciplined' ahead of him to provide cover - well that's the theory behind playing Naismith/Cleverley/Kone there anyway

I can't remember the last time we played with two genuine wingers, even when we've had two wide midfielders, the one on the left has usually been tucked in slightly to allow Baines to play on the overlap. Kilbane might be the last genuine left winger we had?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back