evolved tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mmm. Still can't tell how much of it depends on the confidence, manager game plans and the opposition quality itself. The more barkley gets on the ball the better, he needs to play deeper it works

That makes sense, although of course, Kone played at the weekend even with Oviedo behind him. It's an interesting situation as we have Lennon, Mirallas, McGeady and Pienaar as options on the wing (when Pienaar is fit obviously), yet at the moment we seem happy to bench all of them to play someone nominally out of position.
I think all three of Lennon, McGeady and Mirallas were named substitutes v Sunderland too, weren't they? Quite peculiar.

Is it me or do we play more and more from the middle and try to penetrate from that area?

It's a good point you make mate. I personally think it's because teams that I've seen set up against us this season have loaded the wide areas of their defence to stop our full backs bombing forward. That has opened up the middle and particularly when we are on the counter attack. Sunderland was a perfect example of this. I said it 10 mins into the same that the middle of the park was wide open to a curved pass or a one-two for someone to run on to. The options that having such a talent like deulefeu gives us on the wing is enormous.

Coleman, who with all sizeable due respect to Browning has been missed. Didn't get any goals or assists but good to see him getting forward, in the box and having a shot. This will make a difference going forward, don't know any change in tactics though.

Also having the latest Merseyside heartthrob: Arouna Kone available has meant Rom has a "strike partner" and they have a good chemistry.

I think with Roberto he does change from game to game (bumming SHamton on the break earlier in the season being one) but ultimately he does have his style and will stick to it generally.
I feel players available to be on the pitch and their performances are a more deciding factor.

It's a good point you make mate. I personally think it's because teams that I've seen set up against us this season have loaded the wide areas of their defence to stop our full backs bombing forward. That has opened up the middle and particularly when we are on the counter attack. Sunderland was a perfect example of this. I said it 10 mins into the same that the middle of the park was wide open to a curved pass or a one-two for someone to run on to. The options that having such a talent like deulefeu gives us on the wing is enormous.

And...kone has actually boss touch compared to lukaku. He can work in that area too

I remember watching Martinez go berserk a couple of times last year, calling for our players to make space and play the ball faster. Didn't happen then, it's happening now.

We also look a lot better after pre-season too.

sundays game aside the tactics have not been too much improved from last season.
We are benefitting from barkely being aloowed to be barkley again, just play his game over a restrictive team role. But the team still stand still when we attack far too much, it was blindingly obvious when we played arsenal the amount that they moved the ball with pace, we stopped dead and waited for them to give us the chance. If we can play with a bit more pace and movement then we will be as deadly as anyone, but we havent got an ozil, we arent going to create out of nothing.

" Evertons playing style was frustrating and predictable last season. But this year Martinez has clearly made changes and shows he has learned and the whole system has evolved "

-finnish commentator yesterday

Do you agree?

* he also said lukakus assist was sexy and erotic

which it was.
sometimes he has learned and sometimes he has evolved, but sometimes not all on the same day.
so yeah...upto a point...just...on a good day
We've beaten some teams well, but only when they were poor themselves
Southampton...they didn't start well
Chelsea...still not starting well aka tanking good style
WBA... yes we came back so fair play
Sunderland...say no more, they need a miracle, typical yo-yo club.

until we and he learn and evolve enough to see off the bus parkers and really good teams it's still work in progress and he's really lucky that we're not a sacking club.
And until the current board dynamic changes or it all goes Mike Walker-ish, Martinez effectively has a job for life

as always with Everton and Martinez still more questions than answers

I think Deulofeu has made a difference, when he's playing he doesn't let the players just stand around passing from side to side like we got stuck doing last season, he runs forward and looks to pass to someone facing goal which forces everyone else to move forwards quickly too.

The football has been pretty stale and unimaginative for the most part this season, with a few notable exceptions (e.g. Sunday).

I suppose being as good as your last game works both ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back