Expectations for the Coming Season ?

Well ?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
What does annoy me is when you get accused of lacking ambition for being realistic as well

We all want Everton to be better than they are, but sometimes you have to break some eggs before you can make an omelette

12th isn't what we WANT, but we'll take it for now if it leads to better things down the line

This is a marathon and not a sprint
Agree 100%

I expect Everton to be aiming to win titles. My expectations are very high, and so should everyone at the club.

But the way to get there is not sacking a manager every few months, and it is not by expecting a team who came 16th on under 40 points, to suddenly become a top side in under 12 months. The way to go from 16th to challenging at the top is to do so gradually, with incremental progress, where someone is allowed to create something and give the team identity. You need multiple transfer windows to overhaul a squad, you need long term strategic planning, and you need to make the decisions with long term upside, rather than constantly looking for the quick fix.

Is 12th or 13th where I would want to be? Absolutely not.

Is 12th or 13th, and maybe 45-48 points better than 16th and 39 points? Absolutely yes

Anything better than 16th is acceptable this season. What we need to see is some form of improvement, even if it is only small. You need to steady the ship and get it pointing in the right direction again, before you can make bigger strides forward. We were heading towards the edge of a cliff last season.

I think the club's expectation this season is just surviving. Probably next season too. I imagine they see the opening of the stadium as the ushering in of a new era. Hopefully no more Demarai Gray, Coleman finally retired, Michael Keane, Mina and Holgate punted by then, Doucoure and Davies too. 1.5 more years of extremely frugal spending and hopefully the club will be in a good position once again to dip properly into the transfer market.

Agree 100%

I expect Everton to be aiming to win titles. My expectations are very high, and so should everyone at the club.

But the way to get there is not sacking a manager every few months, and it is not by expecting a team who came 16th on under 40 points, to suddenly become a top side in under 12 months. The way to go from 16th to challenging at the top is to do so gradually, with incremental progress, where someone is allowed to create something and give the team identity. You need multiple transfer windows to overhaul a squad, you need long term strategic planning, and you need to make the decisions with long term upside, rather than constantly looking for the quick fix.

Is 12th or 13th, and maybe 45-48 points better than 16th and 39 points? Absolutely yes

Anything better than 16th is acceptable this season. What we need to see is some form of improvement, even if it is only small. You need to steady the ship and get it pointing in the right direction again, before you can make bigger strides forward. We were heading towards the edge of a cliff last season.
Careful mate your at risk of making some sense here, some of the clowns on here are glass completely empty kind of people who wait for what is in there view a negative result so they can spout there negative views!

You could have Lukaku up top but if the service is none existent / set up is defensive not much will change up top you feel.

I also think if he goes more attacking we'll start getting cut through at the back I don't see the manager being able to find that balance - he couldn't do it at megabucks Chelsea with some top level players what makes peeps think he could do it here with lesser players ?‍♂️
Suppose it's called development mate, we all develop skills and experience based on the experience we encounter in our roles. Nobody becomes an expert overnight we, we learn and adjust based on our past. It's not outside the realms of possibility that as Frank learns and develops his views and approach changes.

The problem with football and alot of our fans is that after finally finding someone who gets us, and is working tirelessly to improve both us and him is this expectation that all of sudden we have become Barcelona!

We have a bottom 5 attacking front 3!

I'd bite your hand off right now for 10th -12th!
Our defence can’t even attack as we’re under constant pressure from teams. A goal or 2 from the forwards would help but unfortunately they’ve been well below par.

Agree 100%

In an ideal world I would agree with this statement. However I think you are living in dreamland.

The current landscape of the premier league is that there are 6 clubs who make revenues and income around triple or more of that than any of the other clubs. Currently newcastle are best positioned to break that monopoly but still the chances of them doing so are pretty obscure. When they have spent the money that ffp allows them to spend they will run into the same issues that Everton have encountered. Ffp will ensure that the premier league table keeps an order based on the revenue of the club and if you want proof look at who finished top 6 the last few seasons and look who looks likely to finish top 6 this season.

Now regarding Everton, firstly we have 14 other teams to all outwit to even begin thinking about challenging the unreachable super 6. We would need to both outperform these clubs in the transfer market and on the pitch. And in our current position the chances of that are around 1 in 14. Maybe with the new stadium it would improve our chances slightly and with us being a slightly more attractive club than some of the other you could say 1 in 10.

OK let's say we have managed to outwit these other clubs In the transfer market and got together a squad with 3 or 4 top talents in it. Now we have the super 6 with their triple size revenues and champions league football who will just snatch these players away. We then need to start again and again would need to outwit the remainder of the clubs and hope we could pull off a transfer none of them could just to be as strong as we were before our top talent was lost.

Just to add to this we are also losing our best academy prospects to the super 6 too. Absolutely all of the odds are against this club ever having a chance of competing at the top end of the table in this landscape. It simply is just not likely and pretty much impossible.

In an ideal world I would agree with this statement. However I think you are living in dreamland.

The current landscape of the premier league is that there are 6 clubs who make revenues and income around triple or more of that than any of the other clubs. Currently newcastle are best positioned to break that monopoly but still the chances of them doing so are pretty obscure. When they have spent the money that ffp allows them to spend they will run into the same issues that Everton have encountered. Ffp will ensure that the premier league table keeps an order based on the revenue of the club and if you want proof look at who finished top 6 the last few seasons and look who looks likely to finish top 6 this season.

Now regarding Everton, firstly we have 14 other teams to all outwit to even begin thinking about challenging the unreachable super 6. We would need to both outperform these clubs in the transfer market and on the pitch. And in our current position the chances of that are around 1 in 14. Maybe with the new stadium it would improve our chances slightly and with us being a slightly more attractive club than some of the other you could say 1 in 10.

OK let's say we have managed to outwit these other clubs In the transfer market and got together a squad with 3 or 4 top talents in it. Now we have the super 6 with their triple size revenues and champions league football who will just snatch these players away. We then need to start again and again would need to outwit the remainder of the clubs and hope we could pull off a transfer none of them could just to be as strong as we were before our top talent was lost.

Just to add to this we are also losing our best academy prospects to the super 6 too. Absolutely all of the odds are against this club ever having a chance of competing at the top end of the table in this landscape. It simply is just not likely and pretty much impossible.

You may say I'm a dreamer....

So are you saying why even try?

I don't understand the point you're trying to make

There is only one way to compete with the Sky 6. We can't outspend them.

So we need to be a well-run club top to bottom, with a cohesive recruitment strategy. And I may be taking liberties here, but we want to be something like Dortmund, Atletico Madrid, Lille, Ajax, etc, etc, clubs that always have up and coming players and challenging the huge teams.

It's difficult, and a lot has to happen. But it's not impossible.

We haven't had a strategy in years. If we put one into place, who knows what can happen

So we need to be a well-run club top to bottom, with a cohesive recruitment strategy. And I may be taking liberties here, but we want to be something like Dortmund, Atletico Madrid, Lille, Ajax, etc, etc, clubs that always have up and coming players and challenging the huge teams.

We haven't had a strategy in years. If we put one into place, who knows what can happen
Mate you cant compare the dutch french and german league haha

There all crap

I'm saying if I was an owner of Everton. I would have a much better chance of making the club successful if I was to preach with the powers who run the league and call for rule changes rather than trying to become a model like the clubs you mentioned.

Clubs like Ajax have a massive catchment area for youth and basically recruit the best youth players across the whole of the Netherlands. On the other hand Everton are competing in the North West with 3 super 6 clubs utd, City and Liverpool and various other clubs. On top of that Everton recently had a top prospect stolen by City. So to suggest Everton look to use the Ajax model is impossible.

I believe Dortmund have a similar model to them but Dortmund and Lille are competing in far weaker leagues. If Everton were to compete in the French league with the relatively poor squad we have right now I would expect Everton to finish somewhere around 5th or 6th. Perhaps slightly lower in the German league. Dortmund also get the luxury of being able to compete regularly in the chamions league due to the weakness of their domestic league.

The job that Moyes did at Everton goes unnoticed by some on here. But when the super 6 used to be the big 4. Everton were the one team in the league who was knocking on the door the most but it was clear at the time that they needed investment to break through. Moyes now is doing a similar job at West Ham as best of the rest, however it's now 6 teams that can't be broken so West Ham have been around the 7th position on average for the last few seasons. The gap to break into that elite group is just too large.

But the gap to bridge is just too large because these clubs are now all European powerhouses and the remainder of the English clubs are basically fighting for the odd Europa conference league spot or europa league spot which won't even put them close the revenues of these other clubs.

Every summer these clubs are allowed to spend way more than the likes of Everton and with scouting these days so universal everyone knows who the best players are or best prospects and they all want to join the big clubs. So what chance do Everton actually have?

So yeah I guess I am questioning why even try. Because its a losing battle. Recently I've been edging towards wanting the 6 clubs joining a super league and leaving the rest of us behind so I can actually see my team compete for something. Because I'm sorry but no matter how much you have pipe dreams of us actually challenging again, as long as the rules favour the 6 clubs and allow them all the slice of the pie, there is no hope for the rest (in my opinion).

I'm saying if I was an owner of Everton. I would have a much better chance of making the club successful if I was to preach with the powers who run the league and call for rule changes rather than trying to become a model like the clubs you mentioned.

Clubs like Ajax have a massive catchment area for youth and basically recruit the best youth players across the whole of the Netherlands. On the other hand Everton are competing in the North West with 3 super 6 clubs utd, City and Liverpool and various other clubs. On top of that Everton recently had a top prospect stolen by City. So to suggest Everton look to use the Ajax model is impossible.

I believe Dortmund have a similar model to them but Dortmund and Lille are competing in far weaker leagues. If Everton were to compete in the French league with the relatively poor squad we have right now I would expect Everton to finish somewhere around 5th or 6th. Perhaps slightly lower in the German league. Dortmund also get the luxury of being able to compete regularly in the chamions league due to the weakness of their domestic league.

The job that Moyes did at Everton goes unnoticed by some on here. But when the super 6 used to be the big 4. Everton were the one team in the league who was knocking on the door the most but it was clear at the time that they needed investment to break through. Moyes now is doing a similar job at West Ham as best of the rest, however it's now 6 teams that can't be broken so West Ham have been around the 7th position on average for the last few seasons. The gap to break into that elite group is just too large.

But the gap to bridge is just too large because these clubs are now all European powerhouses and the remainder of the English clubs are basically fighting for the odd Europa conference league spot or europa league spot which won't even put them close the revenues of these other clubs.

Every summer these clubs are allowed to spend way more than the likes of Everton and with scouting these days so universal everyone knows who the best players are or best prospects and they all want to join the big clubs. So what chance do Everton actually have?

So yeah I guess I am questioning why even try. Because its a losing battle. Recently I've been edging towards wanting the 6 clubs joining a super league and leaving the rest of us behind so I can actually see my team compete for something. Because I'm sorry but no matter how much you have pipe dreams of us actually challenging again, as long as the rules favour the 6 clubs and allow them all the slice of the pie, there is no hope for the rest (in my opinion).
The only chance we have competing for trophys in the next 20 years is either financial rules getting abolished or those 6 teams buggering off

Status
Not open for further replies.