Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Farhad Moshiri

7+ Years On... Your Verdict On Farhad Moshiri

• Pleased

Votes: 107 7.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 1,290 92.3%

• Total voters
Finishing 11th twice and not troubling the European spots is going backwards to pre-Moyes bar his 17th finish, be arsed with a Martinez debate though. He was out of his depth and he's gone now thankfully.

Edit:seen you've had enough flak over this already lollollol

It's not my fault people cant understand what I am saying!

Actually it probably is, but I am just looking at the bigger picture! He was a blip in our progression, that's all.

What is with the obsession with net spend . As I've said before . I couldn't give a flying one if it's 28 pence , as long as the team is better

There is an obsession because whilst it isn't the be all and end all of how well you're going to do, net spend is a viable indicator as to progress. The clubs with the highest net spend over the past ten-15 years are the clubs consistently at the top of the table. Aside from us breaking the top 4 under Moyes and Leicester the season before last, this is consistently the case. It is an undeniable correlation. Now correlation does not always equal causation, but you can't dismiss net spend out of hand. If you constantly have to sell your best players to buy others, progress will obviously be more limited than it would be if you were able to keep your squad together, culling only the deadwood and adding to your best assets.

I realise that there are examples which do prove that net spend isn't all it's cracked up to be. The RS are the only team in the premier league era to spend over a billion and not win it. Look at the dross united have bought these last few years, and their league position is getting worse every year. Spurs have managed to cement themselves in the top 4 without really spending as big as the others. However the catch up we are playing to those above us is a lot greater than I think people realise. And we don't seem to have a harry Kane coming through anytime soon. We have to be incredibly smart with player recruitment and quite frankly the manager needs to be something special.

The problem we face is highlighted by Man City. Slightly unfair as I know they have the sheikh money, but look what they did this summer. They allowed three fullbacks to all leave on a free, then replaced them all for nearly £150 million. They addressed their weaknesses and spent massively without compromising and losing any key players. In addressing our weaknesses, we've lost our best goal scorer to what we hope will be a rival for a top 6 position, whilst strengthening our goalkeeper and gaining a better centre half. One step forward, one step back. That's what net spend highlights

There is an obsession because whilst it isn't the be all and end all of how well you're going to do, net spend is a viable indicator as to progress. The clubs with the highest net spend over the past ten-15 years are the clubs consistently at the top of the table. Aside from us breaking the top 4 under Moyes and Leicester the season before last, this is consistently the case. It is an undeniable correlation. Now correlation does not always equal causation, but you can't dismiss net spend out of hand. If you constantly have to sell your best players to buy others, progress will obviously be more limited than it would be if you were able to keep your squad together, culling only the deadwood and adding to your best assets.

I realise that there are examples which do prove that net spend isn't all it's cracked up to be. The RS are the only team in the premier league era to spend over a billion and not win it. Look at the dross united have bought these last few years, and their league position is getting worse every year. Spurs have managed to cement themselves in the top 4 without really spending as big as the others. However the catch up we are playing to those above us is a lot greater than I think people realise. And we don't seem to have a harry Kane coming through anytime soon. We have to be incredibly smart with player recruitment and quite frankly the manager needs to be something special.

The problem we face is highlighted by Man City. Slightly unfair as I know they have the sheikh money, but look what they did this summer. They allowed three fullbacks to all leave on a free, then replaced them all for nearly £150 million. They addressed their weaknesses and spent massively without compromising and losing any key players. In addressing our weaknesses, we've lost our best goal scorer to what we hope will be a rival for a top 6 position, whilst strengthening our goalkeeper and gaining a better centre half. One step forward, one step back. That's what net spend highlights

Think Leicester are right up there with net spend this season and they're jarg as hell. It's a far too inconsistent barometer to measure potential success in my eyes. More spent doesn't necessarily equate to quality spent does it.

Think Brighton are smashing us on net spend now; would you say they'll be successful this year?

Think Leicester are right up there with net spend this season and they're jarg as hell. It's a far too inconsistent barometer to measure potential success in my eyes. More spent doesn't necessarily equate to quality spent does it.

Think Brighton are smashing us on net spend now; would you say they'll be successful this year?

We are to Brighton what City are to us
It would take a really big kick ass net spend for Brighton to reach our level and for us to reach City's
I know we beat them 4-0 last season but that's a one off

Is it ok to seek reality?

Poor team performances
Shambolic and imbalanced transfer window
Best player just left
Second best player almost gone
Former teen hero back as a washed up old man
Manager spending £100M and complaining he's had nothing
Club getting held to ransom trying to secure a player for £50M who will have no sell on value
Stadium issue kicked into the long grass...again

How do you wonder at people not being upbeat?
Two competitive games in, both won. And I thought you'd actually be pleased with a manager pushing the board.

Shambolic transfer window? Not getting that to be honest.

I love how the Mosh has revitalised this sleeping giant; turned a club run like a corner shop into a mean lean business machine. Paying the prices to secure the talents, yet standing a firm ground when we believe that we are being taken advantage of. No more soft touch blues!!

A new home will soon be rising in the Mersey, a central focal point to one of the worlds most famous skylines and right in the heart of one of Europes biggest development sites. Firmly putting us right in the map.

A marketing masterpiece was achieved by brining a blue home, the world media loved this tale. Again, we were right in the front page of all media outlets, the media followed us around constantly reporting on this love affair between player and club. The world remembered Everton

He's supplied our glorious manager with funds to build a team that can push on and bury the nightmares of years gone by, serpents who do not wish to be part of this revolution are rightly shown the door; not worthy to wear the royal blue that we, the fans and family, proudly do.

The mosh still as work to do, but he has laid his solid foundations and awoken a once powerful beast

Hail the Mosh

I know you mean well lad but I hope you phoned an ambulance for our Dave before you posted that

We are to Brighton what City are to us
It would take a really big kick ass net spend for Brighton to reach our level and for us to reach City's
I know we beat them 4-0 last season but that's a one off

Precisely but people need to remember it's not all upsides with gross net spend. I happen to be of the opinion gross net spend - especially over consecutive windows - is the sign of a poorly run business and therefore football club.

Don't have to go too far back to QPR and Leeds to see what can happen.

We'd all like a Neymar but I much prefer a healthy club.

You're not doing a bad cry-arseing job yourself there. Maybe you should clean out your own Pampers?

I'm "expecting"...

A sizeable net spend
The team to look better than last season's
Him to keep his promise about retaining best players

...just reasonable signs of progress like that will do.

Of course it suits you to misrepresent that as 'spending billions'. and Kopite levels of entitlement.

Moshiri is presently performing at sub-Kenwright levels. Most either see it or are waking up to that fact.

Dave Sotes Rom and ROSS wanted to leave
There's f all we can do about it
I promised to marry till death do us part and I meant it.
25 years later , she wanted out and so did I
Not a lot I could have done about it
If players want to go they go
Suarez Ronaldo Siggy and soon enough BVDand Couthino
It's the way it is

Do we have the same aims as Brighton? I literally just wrote in my post that net spend is not the be all and end all when attempting to judge progress. Brighton have just been promoted with a team made up of championship level players and no in demand assets. They have signed one player with a value of over £10 million. So your comparison is completely disingenuous and worthless. It isn't about whether Brighton will be successful when you compare them to us, as we will have completely different aims and goals, hence another reason why I stated that net spend is not the be all and end all. I'm almost certain Brighton's aim is to finish 17th. That would be a good season from them. Would you say we've had a successful season if we finish 17th? The question you need to ask is will we be successful and does our transfer business reflect our aims for the current season. If our aim is to finish 7th, then I guess we've done ok. We were about 15 points ahead of 8th anyway last year, so it shouldn't be a big ask.

We did not go back ten years! Why do people keep saying stupid stuff like this?

The position we were in before and after he was at the club are exactly the same. Best of the rest. Where does the ten year part come into it?

There are plenty of reasons to have a go at Martinez so why throw in a weird reference like that? Other than a couple of dull seasons for the fans him being here really has changed nothing.
He left a team of utter dross behind him with one or 2 exceptions
Apart from Barry and Rom none of his signings were good enough
He was given a well drilled team that could defend and left benind a mis coached mess

We all know we aren't PSG or City and I personally don't care about net spend but as it stands for us to get what we need we need to increase our net spend from zero.

The worry imo is the fact we don't seem to be able to sell without selling our best players.

What do we do next season?

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back