Financial Fair Play investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's exactly the crux though, no we don't deserve a deduction but they are baying for blood so let's deal with likely outcomes. Unless we are totally innocent we'll likely get a points deduction (noted they could be all suspended), but our upturn in form will likely negate the worst they could possibly hand down anyhow.

Had it been last year we would have been dead. It means we can move into the stadium as a PL club and due to our resetting of the finances (as long as the stadium loans get combined) it means we can look forward again. Whatever that is a win for us.
We've taken ten points from 10 games and you're happy with a points deduction?

He never said he was happy; merely that we should be able to survive. Do you argue with him a lot so wanted to make an argument out of nothing? Can’t see where you’d get “happy” from at all. We’re Everton fans aren’t we? Should be considered a slur to suggest a fellow Evertonian is happy or has been happy any time in the last decade plus.

More will take it to bring closure to this period of uncertainty. And right now I would take a 3 point penalty over perhaps we'll be found innocent but perhaps we get a 12 point deduction.

That might sound defeatist to you but we'd still be a couple of points ahead of the relegation places (+ a point better than Bournemouth) and know from this point forward in a 28 game mini league we just need to accumulate the same amount that they do.

Of course would love to get a not guilty verdict but this is Everton we are talking about.

He never said he was happy; merely that we should be able to survive. Do you argue with him a lot so wanted to make an argument out of nothing? Can’t see where you’d get “happy” from at all. We’re Everton fans aren’t we? Should be considered a slur to suggest a fellow Evertonian is happy or has been happy any time in the last decade plus.
More will take it to bring closure to this period of uncertainty. And right now I would take a 3 point penalty over perhaps we'll be found innocent but perhaps we get a 12 point deduction.

That might sound defeatist to you but we'd still be a couple of points ahead of the relegation places (+ a point better than Bournemouth) and know from this point forward in a 28 game mini league we just need to accumulate the same amount that they do.

Of course would love to get a not guilty verdict but this is Everton we are talking about.
I think we all would prefer an end to the uncertainty.

I think I got the "happy" with your "upturn in form" comment, which honestly, I would not be so quick to assume because we have taken 1 point per game in ten, with that ten being infinitely easier than our next ten.

So, let's see where we are after 20 games, and if we do receive that points deduction.

I think we all would prefer an end to the uncertainty.

I think I got the "happy" with your "upturn in form" comment, which honestly, I would not be so quick to assume because we have taken 1 point per game in ten, with that ten being infinitely easier than our next ten.

So, let's see where we are after 20 games, and if we do receive that points deduction.

We've taken 9 points from our last 5 matches (we sit 7th in the form table over 6 games). Had we still been 1 point from the first 5 then any deduction seems debilitating.

We've also taken two of those wins against decent sides...away from home. It actually suits us to play the better teams that won't just sit tight against us. Obviously we are million miles from the best that will turn us over fairly easily but we should be able to target sides above us like Palace, Brighton and even Utd and Chelsea if we catch them on an off day. Throw in the 'winnable' games like Forest, Burnley and Wolves and it shouldn't be a stretch to think we cannot accumulate at least another 10 points and if you carry on at 1 point a game average then even with a 3 point deduction we would be well ahead of the bottom three.

This is football though and a couple of key injuries could throw a spanner into the works, so yes we'll see where are after Christmas as proof is in the pudding as they say.

Well we're currently bottom on -2 points with Sheff Utd in our crosshairs if it happens. If only we'd beaten Fulham and Wolves we'd be so much better off.

Which would be better ... a 6 points deduction or a 2 window transfer ban

This has a load of factors thrown in to take into account. Probably as it stands I would take the 6 points, if DCL gets injured that might be a different story.

The thought at the back of head is what if in the Summer Branthwaite, Onana and DCL decide enough is enough and leave...

Transfer ban would be counter productive from the PL. A fair punishment for dodgy player trading (Chelsea), but not for overspending.

Surely we should be forced to right our financial ship. All clubs like ours without infinite (and clearly dodgy) commercial and advertising revenue survive by selling key players and recycling - it’s literally the Brighton model everyone creams over. We cannot and will never cover our operating costs without selling a Richy/Gordon/Onana once every 12 months. Same for most clubs. Stopping us from doing this (because we couldn’t buy replacements) forces us to a future P&S breach which makes no sense whatsoever.

Let's have it right: there should be NO points deduction whatsoever.

Only Everton's terrible power vacuum which makes us rudderless in leadership terms and the fact that the PL are looking over their shoulder at government intervention if they don't look 'tough' has us even being spoken about as a club that should get points deducted.

If we're 'guilty' we're guilty for spending more than we should have. We haven;t gone into administration. Neither have we threatened to kill the PL like 6 other clubs did. If they got £3M in fines each for doing that then a points deduction of any description is a complete miscarriage of justice.
You have to wonder how much Usmanov's alleged financial involvement has influenced the government to put pressure on the PL to punish us. Luckily for City ,and their alleged financial irregularities, it's only UAE involvement and, as we all know, their reputation is squeaky clean.

The Telegraph wrote "The Telegraph have learnt that the Premier League....." but they've never said how they learnt it. With an anonymous source they can claim anything.

The Daily Mail could report "Everton will have all their toilet paper taken away for 2 years" and people would believe it.

Far too many people slag off the media for writing BS stories but still believe everything they read.
The point here is that based on rumours and even if it is on a leak it doesn’t say the source of that leak
Can anyone please explain why we are even in this situation.
What I fail to understand is that over the last 5 years we have the 3rd lowest net spend in the premier league at £23.8m compared with the likes of Chelsea at 672.8m. We also rank only 12th in the premier league for the amount paid in salaries ..Way behind the so called top six clubs. So how can we be accused of overspending to gain an advantage over other teams?
Is it because of what we’ve borrowed so far to build the new stadium?
If that is the case then it seems to me that we are being punished for having the audacity to provide ourselves with a vehicle to bring in the revenue we are unable to obtain by competing in Europe or finishing higher in the table.
Are we supposed to accept the fact that we should know our place and leave the so called top six to carry on dominating everyone else,
Surely there have been occasions when other clubs have suffered losses because of new stadium builds, but there has been no evidence of the kind of witch hunt we are having to endure.
7/8 years ago Liverpool we’re almost about to go into liquidation before the present owners took over but there was nothing even mentioned about FFP or Premier League intervention.
Chelsea were hit with a transfer embargo a few seasons ago and yet they are now bending the rules by signing 100m players on ridiculously long contracts and yet again there seems to be no reaction to this whatsover.

I honestly believe that the Premier League do not want to severely sanction the so called “elite” clubs
but consider Everton big enough to to make an example of and send a message to all the other PL clubs.
The very fact that they have already intimated that they will appeal if Everton are cleared by Independent Hearing is a clear indication of just how eager they are to send that message.
Sorry but this quite simply isnt the way ( and yes flawed ) way in which FFP works.

Looking at nett spend is interesting but in no way does it bear true relevance to gain any perspective you have to look at income as a staring point .In the 21/22 trading year Everton’s income was circa £180 million whereas Arsenal who can 6th in income terms had double that number.Chelsea’s was £453 million

Off course the likes of Chelsea have overspent and if a FFP charge comes along so be it but you can’t quite simply look at the accounts and try to equate them to FFP or P&S submissions.But and here’s a big but it has been widely reported that in the owners first two windows when 16 players were signed for a fee that over £700 million was spent. It makes great press and may be right but in Chelsea 21/22 accounts filed in March 23 when post activity is reported it states that then16 players signed cost £386.2 million

Irrespective here’s a simple example of how the numbers submitted to UEFA & the PL differ.

In Chelsea’s 21/22 accounts the charge charge for amortisation was £160 million going into the 23/24 season just one player ( Ben Chillwell) remained whereby an amortisation charge would be reflected in PS. Due to how the rules work players like Lukaku and Kepa for instance whose accounting charge could be as much as £20 million of that £160 million being on loan the amortisation charge is deducted from Chelsea’s numbers to the loaning club.

If you look at Chillwell when his contract was ended the relevant amortisation charge is spread out even further. This point is key for all clubs because in their haste to close what was perceived as a loophole the 5 year restriction will impact all clubs who extend players contracts.

In 21/22 the new owners have taken advantage of something called impairment. They aren’t the first indeed Everton I suspect that part of their COVID losses impaired some £20 million and make mention of the depressed player values as a result of . Chelsea’s sum included in Chelseas £114.6 million loss was £76.7 million

To this point in time Chelsea’s only sanction under either FFP or the PL P&S rules have been by UEFA following self disclosure and not following a charge. Will a charge be incoming ?

Maybe but the way in which FFP has changed in 21/22 means that the focus will be wages + amortisation + agents fees ( squad costs) not exceeding 90% in year one down to around 70% in a couple of years wont For me shift the landscape whatsoever

Last edited:
Transfer ban would be counter productive from the PL. A fair punishment for dodgy player trading (Chelsea), but not for overspending.

Surely we should be forced to right our financial ship. All clubs like ours without infinite (and clearly dodgy) commercial and advertising revenue survive by selling key players and recycling - it’s literally the Brighton model everyone creams over. We cannot and will never cover our operating costs without selling a Richy/Gordon/Onana once every 12 months. Same for most clubs. Stopping us from doing this (because we couldn’t buy replacements) forces us to a future P&S breach which makes no sense whatsoever.
Whats been dodgy about Chelsea’s transfer activity ? You might not like the idea of long contracts but that’s 100% within the rules .

Status
Not open for further replies.