Football Is Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we had two penalties against Richarlison one going against Micheal Keane last week. Then one go against us with Deli Alli, 4 decisions. but because we are laymen football fans we aren’t allowed to question it? Your name isn’t Dermot by any chance?

So we had two penalties against Richarlison one going against Micheal Keane last week. Then one go against us with Deli Alli, 4 decisions. but because we are laymen football fans we aren’t allowed to question it? Your name isn’t Dermot by any chance?

No, you're absolutely allowed to question it, you can do whatever you wish - but it's wrong to suggest that it's due to corruption we're not the only club getting the brunt of bad / contentious decisions.

I still support VAR, it just needs to be done properly, by competent individuals.

I was there yesterday & I agree it was farcical, but I’ve seen Everton cheated by bad decisions my whole life, while that lot got the opposite, so I want VAR to work.

It’s a farce that the footage isn’t shown on screen at the game! It should be shown (like it is in Rugby League), so the paying fans can see the decisions being made. That would add to the entertainment.

The league know they got that wrong yesterday. They don’t come out & make statements unless they know they’re being questioned.

The club should be making a representation, no question. That’s 2 weeks on the run we’ve been cheated by appalling decisions & inconsistency.

The technology isn’t the problem. It’s the clown using it.

I still support VAR, it just needs to be done properly, by competent individuals.

I was there yesterday & I agree it was farcical, but I’ve seen Everton cheated by bad decisions my whole life, while that lot got the opposite, so I want VAR to work.

It’s a farce that the footage isn’t shown on screen at the game! It should be shown (like it is in Rugby League), so the paying fans can see the decisions being made. That would add to the entertainment.

The league know they got that wrong yesterday. They don’t come out & make statements unless they know they’re being questioned.

The club should be making a representation, no question. That’s 2 weeks on the run we’ve been cheated by appalling decisions & inconsistency.

Agreed, but the quality of the officiating being what it is, it would likely end in a riot.

You have been a busy bee haven't you lol

Go on then, i'll humour you, seeing as you've gone to so much trouble trawling through months of posts.

My interpretation of the rules is that there are multiple factors at play in deciding whether or not to give a penalty. Body position, intent, trajectory of the ball and if the opposition gained an obvious advantage because of it. The ref and video ref have to interpret all of that and make a collective decision. I'm not saying it's right or fair, I'm just stating that this is how they have judged it based on their interpretation of the rules - and as the governing body of the game, ultimately that's what matters. Obviously with different refs you're going to have different interpretations of the law as that's how human behaviour is, so you're never going to get 100% consistency.

Much of Football is subjective and i'd agree that VAR in it's current state isn't fit for purpose and needs to be reviewed. It should only be used to override clear and obvious reffing errors and I'm not convinced that was a clear and obvious error yesterday. If we'd got the pen yesterday, I'd have been as happy as anyone, but I'd still have said it was soft and we'd have basically got one for free. Reason being, (other than the fact it did hit his hand) it doesn't satisfy enough of those aforementioned factors to be a 'clear and obvious' penalty. The ref didn't give it in real time and literally nobody (no fans, players or staff) claimed for it, it wasn't clear and obvious error for Taylor to overrule.

He was challenging for the ball off the ground and his body was in an unnatural shape with his arm up - on that basis alone alot of you are saying 'PEN'. The fact he was in a physical challenge and was off the ground is crucial, according to the statement released after the game. He was in a physical challenge for the ball and he was looking away, that accounts for the unnatural body shape. The ball clearly hits his hand, there is no dispute about that by anyone. However, there appeared to be no intent on Alli's part to handle, I'm not sure many would argue that. The ball trajectory barely changed as it only glanced off the back of his hand. And finally (and crucially), Spurs didn't gain an advantage because of it, we were still on the attack. .

I think the last one is the most important factor with these things. Has it actually prevented / created a goalscoring opportunity? And the answer in this case was clearly no. Weighing up all of the factors, the ref has looked at it and decided it wasn't a clear and obvious error. It's unfortunate but I can see why.

You reference the Sissoko one in the CL final, but with that one he wasn't being challenged. His feet were planted and his arm was in an unnatural position. There was no intent, but the ball trajectory completely changed and Spurs did gain an advantage from it as it blocked the cross from coming into the box. Crucially with that one, the on-field official gave it, so VAR would have to find that he'd made a clear and obvious error in giving that.

I don't expect you'll agree with any of this and that's fine, them's the breaks! It's why we have GOT after all. Good talk.

too many words to make your point = RS

3 weeks on the run tbf, disallowing Minas goal against West Ham could have been very costly had Pickford not made that late save.

So ex referee and Sky pundit, Dermot Gallagher, is right.

But current referees Anthony Taylor and Martin Atkinson, with no media contracts, are both wrong.

Interesting take.

Well as Dermot said Atkinson didn't see it, totally in tune to his inept performance and having seen Anthony Taylor in action, I'd pick Dermot Gallagher over him anytime. Why are you so desperate for this not to be a penalty. Hmmm makes you wonder.

No, you're absolutely allowed to question it, you can do whatever you wish - but it's wrong to suggest that it's due to corruption we're not the only club getting the brunt of bad / contentious decisions.

At this moment in time we seem to be getting them weekly Kieran, not that you'd notice like, but we had two this week:)

I think these types of decisions are made with this kind of thought process -

which teams are likely to kick up the biggest stink over the decision..

we come right at the very bottom of that list, so we will hardly ever get one going our way

the peoples club mantra we have made for ourselves will ultimately cost us points

Why are you so desperate for this not to be a penalty. Hmmm makes you wonder.

I’m not desperate for this not to be a penalty.

It wasn’t a penalty. It wasn’t given. The matter is over. Done. Finito. Why are you dwelling on it? We got a point against Spurs, not a terrible result from a very average performance.

Move on.

I’m not desperate for this not to be a penalty.

It wasn’t a penalty. It wasn’t given. The matter is over. Done. Finito. Why are you dwelling on it? We got a point against Spurs, not a terrible result from a very average performance.

Move on.

Move on haha you are the only one arguing with everyone, you said you rather believe two full time refs against one former ref and sky pundit. I've proved that a lie because Dermot Gallagher admitted Atkinson didn't see it. So there half your argument shot down, now pipe down.

That's pushed me over the edge. I'm done with the sport.

Here's a pick and mix for you, of what you'll be up over the next few weeks

• Be going down to Southampton on Sunday
  • Be at Goodison for the Norwich game
  • Watching one, or both of the above on a dodgy stream
  • Chatting rubbish about the team on the internet while celebrating wins or losses in the above
  • Actually be done with the sport
My money's on at least two out five of the above are what you'll be doing.
You have no choice, despite all the brown stuff thrown at us, and the greed and the hypocrisy in the game, it's still our team.

What's our name lad ?

Let's have it right here, Spurs were very poor yesterday. They were absolutely there for the taking from the off, yet we were incable of doing it because we are quite frankly, a bad side. The VAR stuff is a joke and totally killing the game. The reality is however, if we get rid of VAR, we still ain't getting those penalty decisions and it won't impact the way we are playing. There are weaknesses all over the side which is reflected by our league position after having a very favourable run of fixtures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back