2021/22 Frank Lampard

Status
Not open for further replies.
We don’t have the players the way he wants to play. So you adapt. If he can’t adapt, then that’s on Farhad for thinking this would work. I’m not going to judge him on a cup game atm though as we definitely have bigger things to worry about in the league table.

I think Lampard has made his job more difficult by constantly chopping and changing his formation. I still have no idea why he put Gordon at left wing back at half time. Took away our main threat.

If he (or his array of Coaches) can’t see that playing three at the back doesn’t work for us, that playing JJK as a left wing back doesn’t work for us then I really worry.

Looked solid enough with a four of Coleman, Holgate, Keane, Godfrey against Newcastle, kept our first Prem league clean sheets in ages. Just keep that back four together for the rest of the season as it’s the best we have.

Iwobi just scored the winner and played well, let him let him keep his spot.

He needs to stick with a 4231 or a 433 for a rest of the season.

Pickford
Coleman Holgate Keane Godfrey
Docoure vdb
Iwobi Gordon grey
Dcl

That’d be the team to play West Ham for me. Richarlison needs dropping , not sure if he is knackered from Olympics etc but he couldn’t trap a bag of cement today.

When you are publicly asking your players if they have the bollocks for it, you're probably gasping for a lifebuoy.

Amazing, this. When a team is purring like a machine, managers tend to be lauded as tactical geniuses and strategic masters. But when a team is losing 5-0 to Spurs and 4-0 to Crystal Palace, the players lack bollocks.

I have no doubt that a lot of our players lack the cojones or intestinal fortitude or strength of character or whatever you want to call it yourself to be successful. But that's been the case for a number of years now. This manager doesn't really seem to have much more up his sleeve than name value - as a player, not a manager, just like Ronald Koeman - and a good line in cheerleading. That seems to be the sum total of it. If there's more, I'm not seeing it. He better find it soon or his managerial career will be stillborn. The man who relegated Everton.
Maybe we need Rafael back to tell us we ran a lot

We don’t have an understanding of how to play that tactic. It’s made to be compact and individual presses. We try completely the opposite, high press, multiple people press the same person. The amount of space it opened should have been addressed. Cm defending at Lb and RB is not the plan

I'm losing faith in him but his comments post-match were very on point.

Now, he's putting the players up as scapegoats and uses phrases like "work in progress" (which was the mantra when he failed at Chelsea), trying to mask the fact that his tactics are absolute garbage and he seems way out of his depth when it comes to organizing how the team plays.

So now it remains to be seen if these comments will somehow help the team (hard to believe they will!) and that the two weeks' training they have available now will somehow give our squad time to regroup - even though it's becoming ridiculously thin now.

You're doing that thing you did re. Benitez, mate.

I ain't blaming Lampard. I'm saying he's made mistakes. Like the players make mistakes and are crap. Well today, he was crap too. We've lost all of our away games under Lampard by an aggregate score of 16-2. He takes his share of the blame.

Following your logic from the Benitez period, the first and easiest thing to solve is no longer the manager, therefore we have to focus attention on what can lead to the most improvement in performance and in my eyes that is now firmly the attitude of the players. They’ve shown they can perform when they want to and execute Lampard’s tactics, so rather than us get into the same old habit of going ‘yeah the players are rubbish but the manager really needs to be playing x formation, x player, set them up to defend or attack’, I’d rather us be saying ‘the players really need to turn up today’. If the tactics or subs are wrong after that then fine, but if we saw the levels we saw agaisnt Leeds, City, and the second half of the Newcastle game, then there’s an opportunity for the right tactics to work.

If the players aren’t in the right frame of mind to do the basics of football, then Lampard’s tactics are irrelevant, we’ll lose every single game until they decide they’re interested in fighting for this club.

Under Benitez we had the excuse that he’d shorn them of their confidence, negative tactics etc. What’s the excuse under Lampard? He’s done everything to get them in a positive mood, having them press on the front foot, keep the ball but get it forward. He’s done nothing but shield the players until now and they’ve still just downed tools on multiple occasions when it’s suited them.

So yeah I get your principle mate, I’m sure there’s a lot of things Lampard could do better, at the moment I just see zero point in focusing on them because until we have players interested in playing football for Everton then his performance is largely irrelevant.

I don't like this at all. A manager coming out in his press conference after a 4-0 defeat and saying 'the tactics were spot on but the players havent got any bollocks'. A manager can't just detach himself from blame after a 4-0 defeat. Whats his comeback if a player says 'well we had a manager who knew what he was doing last season and we got 59 points'? Defeats, and wins, need to be taken collectively. He can slaughter the players behind closed doors if he wants but i'm not into him doing it in his press conferences.
Absolutely spot on, blaming everyone else but himself, can anyone confirm for me why someone who is being paid megabucks to manage our team, needs 5 assistants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back