2022/23 Frank Lampard

Status
Not open for further replies.
DCL is Not the type of striker who receives the ball from 30 yards out with his back to goal, spins takes two defenders on and rockets it into the top corner, he is a six yard goal sniffer. He certainly ain't the goal getter some believe he is.
A 6 yard goal sniffer would have won us the game yesterday. How many times was the ball flying around Forest's goal mouth and nobody was able to bundle it into the net?

By all accounts Onana has signed for us over Moyes because of that same media profile.

I realise it’s a results business but given the situation we were in as a club, I’d rather see what Lampard and Thelwell are doing in bringing down the average age of the squad, organising the defence so we can defend set pieces, bringing in leaders which we haven’t had for a long time, and having a good coaching staff with experience. Rather than a short term fix like fat sam was brought in for. Ultimately short term fixes are only that and you’ll always end up in the same situation unless you remedy the issues, which I feel Lampard is doing.

I agree the clubs in a period of rebuild mate and we do need a plan and stability.

However I don't know if Thelwell will fight his corner if results continue to be bad - I have a feeling long term he would rather his own man in who naturally prefers the 352 system whereas it feels Lampard has been forced into playing 3 at the back with the compromise of a 343.

This is why we should have gone down last season.

He’s got absolutely no chance with the absolute dross he inherited, which nobody else wants. Plus all of the goals we had in the side, Richy, DCL and even Gylfi are all gone or injured.

At least in the championship he would have bought himself a bit of time to rebuild. But now we have people calling him out on his results, when he has Rondon as his only striking option and is financially hamstrung due to FFP.

Benitez was awful but it is possible we didn't replace him with the right manager, you know.
This has always been my view. Benitez had to go. His results made his position untenable. I never rated Frank who I consider a name recognition appointment with no coaching CV to justify his elevation to one of the biggest managerial jobs in the country. I thought the appointment of Lampard was yet another mistake. I hope to be proved wrong on that and, thankfully, he did the bare minimum required: keep us up. That has earned him the right to build. This window is now critical for him. But he'll not be given an unlimited amount of time to prove himself. That's just the nature of the Everton job. A poison chalice and one of the toughest big jobs in football.

This has always been my view. Benitez had to go. His results made his position untenable. I never rated Frank who I consider a name recognition appointment with no coaching CV to justify his elevation to one of the biggest managerial jobs in the country. I thought the appointment of Lampard was yet another mistake. I hope to be proved wrong on that and, thankfully, he did the bare minimum required: keep us up. That has earned him the right to build. This window is now critical for him. But he'll not be given an unlimited amount of time to prove himself. That's just the nature of the Everton job. A poison chalice and one of the toughest big jobs in football.

What about the coaching cv’s of his backroom team? You can’t argue they don’t have the coaching cv to coach at Everton. Lampard is the manager, inexperienced for sure, but he’s surrounded himself with good people. The improvements are happening, it’ll just take time.

I agree the clubs in a period of rebuild mate and we do need a plan and stability.

However I don't know if Thelwell will fight his corner if results continue to be bad - I have a feeling long term he would rather his own man in who naturally prefers the 352 system whereas it feels Lampard has been forced into playing 3 at the back with the compromise of a 343.
If Lampard is being forced to play a system he is not comfortable with then thats hardly his fault. I find it odd that Thelwell has come in and even with signings has thought we can play a 3 at the back with these players, quite naive imo. If Lampard was moved on he would only be replaced by someone like Nuno who would go down like a lead balloon here, is that really what people want?

Nope

People have been waiting to jump on his back from day 1. Often people who were 100% behind and defending benitez.

I think there is a clear agenda.
You're absolutely right if by "been waiting to jump on his back" you mean "thought his appointment was a very risky and potentially disastrous mistake." I have been clear since his appointment. I don't see a CV to back up his elevation to the job. Therefore, my hope is my judgement was incorrect. I, personally, would allow him to manage himself out of the job (even if that means taking us down). I would give him all the time he needs - and if we go, so be it. The hierarchy deserves a relegation - even if the fans certainly do not. So, I would stick with Frank. But I'll be honest with you: I think his appointment was yet another Moshiri/Kenwright blunder. People who campaigned to sack other underperforming managers can't really complain if the guy they've invested their judgement in gets the same treatment and gets sacked on similarly disastrous results. But here's hoping we never get to that point.

7 league games ago
Against Watford away,Watford hadn’t kept a clean sheet at home all season and has lost their previous ten home games I think, we played like we had gone there for a draw with hardly a shot on target.

This game and one or two others had me doubting Lampards ability but I put it down to Frank’s safety first policy considering our position at the time, now I’ll wait until the end of the transfer window and see what transpires and how we perform when the new players settle in.

Long term I have my doubts Lampard will stay on Merseyside because of his and his wife’s high profile lifestyle that, to me,is centred more on London than Liverpool.

You're absolutely right if by "been waiting to jump on his back" you mean "thought his appointment was a very risky and potentially disastrous mistake." I have been clear since his appointment. I don't see a CV to back up his elevation to the job. Therefore, my hope is my judgement was incorrect. I, personally, would allow him to manage himself out of the job (even if that means taking us down). I would give him all the time he needs - and if we go, so be it. The hierarchy deserves a relegation - even if the fans certainly do not. So, I would stick with Frank. But I'll be honest with you: I think his appointment was yet another Moshiri/Kenwright blunder. People who campaigned to sack other underperforming managers can't really complain if the guy they've invested their judgement in gets the same treatment and gets sacked on similarly disastrous results. But here's hoping we never get to that point.
I find it extremely unfair and a bit ridiculous people are still not willing to give him support after he kept us up.

People are too invested in what they say on the Internet.

I hope the board pull off 2 massive forward signings this week and pipe me down. I hope Rondon scores 15 as well. Opinions on the Internet are far less important than the team getting better

We’ve been blaming the last 6 managers. They’ve all been tactically different.

At some point we need to realise the players we’re giving these managers just aren’t good enough and we can’t keep top players fit. Sort those two things and then we can start moaning about managers.

What about the coaching cv’s of his backroom team? You can’t argue they don’t have the coaching cv to coach at Everton. Lampard is the manager, inexperienced for sure, but he’s surrounded himself with good people. The improvements are happening, it’ll just take time.
I'm not arguing that the backroom team don't have the CVs to coach Everton. I'm saying the manager doesn't. I'm happy to give him time. He can take us down as far as I am concerned. I am not calling for his head. But the fanbase - and the board, more critically - probably won't share my patience. I like the fact that Paul Clement is in the background. But I'd rather the Everton manager had a little more substance to himself than simply name recognition as a player. We accuse Moshiri - rightly - of making mistakes. Well, he's appointed a guy with a face this time around - and not much else, if we're totally honest.

CVs, of course, don't guarantee anything. Look at his predecessor. I just think having some kind of record should be a prerequisite to getting our job. If you don't have a record, what do you actually have? In Frank's case, it really boils down to two things: a name - and a lot of blind optimism.

We’ve been blaming the last 6 managers. They’ve all been tactically different.

At some point we need to realise the players we’re giving these managers just aren’t good enough and we can’t keep top players fit. Sort those two things and then we can start moaning about managers.
I was happy with Carlo

If Lampard is being forced to play a system he is not comfortable with then thats hardly his fault. I find it odd that Thelwell has come in and even with signings has thought we can play a 3 at the back with these players, quite naive imo. If Lampard was moved on he would only be replaced by someone like Nuno who would go down like a lead balloon here, is that really what people want?

I imagine Thelwell would have a few young continental candidates when you consider he has worked in the RB franchise who's scouting system is brilliant.

I still maintain Lampard should have been an interim appointment until the summer with Thelwell given the chance to appoint his own man going forward.

Long term the rebuild will be through the DOF so to start it off with a manager who prefers the 433 throughout his previous clubs is counterproductive.

Status
Not open for further replies.