2022/23 Frank Lampard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Coady and Tarkowski would be a disaster in a back four unless we play them very deep, which means the defensive line has to be deep, which means the FBs have to stay back so 433 becomes problematic as it relies heavily on the wingers.

Allan has had about 20 minutes of pre-season and I think they're looking to move him on. Onana came on and stank the gaff out but it's to be expected. Gbamin isn't going to get a look in. I also believe the coaches don't think Patterson is yet up to a back four in the PL but we'll see.

With a 4-3-3 we get runners from midfield, something we saw that was affective v Villa in the last 10 mins, with a 2 we cant risk emptying midfield completely.

You can say Coady and Tarkowski would be a disaster but the 5 at the back doesn`t suit Mykolenko or Tarkowski who played a deep low block back 4 at Burnley for 6 years.

Not sure what the debate is about. Everton are obviously targeting to play a 3-5-2 formation, why else would Kevin Thelwell have been brought in? Lampard said he wanted an input on the appointment of the DoF, so he is obviously happy with aiming to set up in a 3-5-2 formation. If it's not the case then either appointing Thelwell as DoF or Lampard as manager was complete folly.

Not sure what the debate is about. Everton are obviously targeting to play a 3-5-2 formation, why else would Kevin Thelwell have been brought in? Lampard said he wanted an input on the appointment of the DoF, so he is obviously happy with aiming to set up in a 3-5-2 formation. If it's not the case then appointing Thelwell as DoF was complete folly.
Its not my account, I think he is getting a feel for how Evertonians are thinking.

I`m with you, it all makes sense, Thelwell has come here to recreate Wolves back 5 philosophy and Lampard is recreating Chelsea plus we are bringing players in for that system i.e. Coady & Vinagre...

I`ve literally had comments today on here and on Twitter saying that it is only until we get the players to play 4-3-3, which doesnt appear to be right.

I dont want to go over the stats again but 5-2-3 won us half as many points as 4-3-3 last season despite being the most used system, quite why we`ve picked the worse system of them all to go forward with is negligent.

We missed the boat with Eddie Howe....

Not sure what the debate is about. Everton are obviously targeting to play a 3-5-2 formation, why else would Kevin Thelwell have been brought in? Lampard said he wanted an input on the appointment of the DoF, so he is obviously happy with aiming to set up in a 3-5-2 formation. If it's not the case then either appointing Thelwell as DoF or Lampard as manager was complete folly.
Results trump all that. And we're not getting them...and we weren't getting them last season with that system.

Let's see how long it lasts for when we have 1 point from 5/6/7 games with it.

If Thelwell is trying to move us toward a system with 3 defenders and wing backs, we definitely need very different midfield and forward line options.

How on earth do we play 352 with 1/4 of a striker in Rondon and DCL? I don't think Gray, Gordon or McNeil are truly right for a 433 either if we end up going with just one central forward with wide attackers supporting.

If we don't bring any others in I think we're a bit stuck.

Edit - 442 or 451 would be a struggle as well. Any system needs more dynamics in midfield too.

Honestly I think the formation discussion is moot until we actually get consistent and lethal forwards or Midfielders who can provide chances. I know that's why we signed McNeil but still missing the other piece of the puzzle .it doesn't matter how we set up no one is capable of scoring a goal on the regular

Last edited:
The problem is Dave, when we last played 4, we got pumped 4-0 by some MLS mob.
We won 13 (Won 4, Drawn 1) of Franks 20 points with 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1, nearly twice as many as playing the 5-2-3 (7 Points, 2 wins and 1 draw) which was THE system that was used the most.

A back 4 kept 3 clean sheets, a back 5 just 2 again DESPITE the 5 at the back being the most used.

In conclusion 4 at the back was least used, kept more clean sheets and won nearly twice as many points, so why would anyone think it is a good idea to intensively start 5-2-3 this season, this season is just a continuation of last, we`ve added 5 new players and however many more we may get to still get the same results.

When does the formation become the issue?

We won 13 (Won 4, Drawn 1) of Franks 20 points with 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1, nearly twice as many as playing the 5-2-3 (7 Points, 2 wins and 1 draw) which was THE system that was used the most.

A back 4 kept 3 clean sheets, a back 5 just 2 again DESPITE the 5 at the back being the most used.

In conclusion 4 at the back was least used, kept more clean sheets and won nearly twice as many points, so why would anyone think it is a good idea to intensively start 5-2-3 this season, this season is just a continuation of last, we`ve added 5 new players and however many more we may get to still get the same results.

When does the formation become the issue?

It's a fair point mate, but mainly as we used it at the back end when we were playing well.
I think we would be wide open with a 4 mate, Patterson isn't good enough defensively. Neither are the CB's or the midfield. Just my opinion mind.

It's a fair point mate, but mainly as we used it at the back end when we were playing well.
I think we would be wide open with a 4 mate, Patterson isn't good enough defensively. Neither are the CB's or the midfield. Just my opinion mind.
I disagree, I think Mykolenko & Tarkowski will be more comfortable in a back 4, I`ve no doubt Patterson at his young age could play FB, if you watch how we play now he is sat in the FB area anyway. Look how Digne, Coleman, Baines used to play at FB, as high as Patterson.

In midfield you play a number 6 and two number 8s, would a midifeld 3 of Gueye in the 6, Iwobi and Onana/Doucoure in the 8s with Davies and Allan in reserve.

CM v Leeds, won 3-0, Van De Beek & Allan with Richy in the 10
CM v Newcastle, won 1-0, Doucoure & Allan with Gordon in the 10
CM v Man Utd, won 1-0, Delp Allan & Iwobi
CM v Palace 2nd half, Iwobi Doucoure & Alli

If Thelwell is trying to move us toward a system with 3 defenders and wing backs, we definitely need very different midfield and forward line options.

How on earth do we play 352 with 1/4 of a striker in Rondon and DCL? I don't think Gray, Gordon or McNeil are truly right for a 433 either if we end up going with just one central forward with wide attackers supporting.

If we don't bring any others in I think we're a bit stuck.

Edit - 442 or 451 would be a struggle as well. Any system needs more dynamics in midfield too.
It would be easy to conclude that we cannot play football. Maybe we should have a crack at catering or something that doesn't involve a ball.

It would be easy to conclude that we cannot play football. Maybe we should have a crack at catering or something that doesn't involve a ball.
Catering terrifies yet fascinates me. When you think about it, building a team is a bit like finding complementary textures, flavours and ingredients.

"Today's special at the Everton Cafe: Marmalade, anchovy and bovril porridge"

Ps please get Lampard some players Everton, ffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.