2022/23 Frank Lampard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every goal can be prevented, every goal for every team will have a lapse of concentration, someone slow to react, mistiming or not seeing a run.

Put it this way, every time we were under siege last year I always feared we’d concede; this year not a chance. Even against Fulham, for all their “attempts” I never thought they’d score

It’s like night and day
This but not just concede - collapse and concede 3 or 4.

We’ve got a good defensive record. Of we’re conceding too many goals what’s every other team doing?

Proof will be in the final league table. If we’re not in a relegation scrap this season then it’s undeniable progress.
I can't see us being down there again unless we have another glut of injuries. I do think the ball still comes through the middle to easily at times but I think if we can get some better options going further forward then we should be able to play a bit further forward and it will stop this. As you said the proof will be the final league table and I'm confident it will be better than last seasons.

I can't see us being down there again unless we have another glut of injuries. I do think the ball still comes through the middle to easily at times but I think if we can get some better options going further forward then we should be able to play a bit further forward and it will stop this. As you said the proof will be the final league table and I'm confident it will be better than last seasons.

If that back 5 stays fit, we’re not going down, simple as that. You don’t go down conceding less than a goal a game.

Midfield is a concern, the balance isn’t quite right, I think Garner needs to come in for one of Gueye or Onana in some games.

I’d actually like to see McNeill get a run upfront instead of Gray or Gordon. McNeill and Garner would both give us a set piece threat for DCL and if Gray and Gordon aren’t doing the business on the counter attack then we may as well have McNeill’s link up play, crossing, and better defensive work.

I've just checked this again. Has that fella really spent his entire morning, afternoon and evening on a forum moaning about the manager of a team he's supposed to support?

GO OUTSIDE YOU MANIAC!
Agree mate; I intermittently check herein, only to find this thread an often-time odd space. I largely put it down to odd people in here, finding too much useless time on their idle hands to fritter away even more uselessly...

...but I guess that's social media for you...

And yes, I put my hand up to sometimes being guilty of frivolous wham: but I stand by my mitigations regarding just how much of a pain in the proverbial, Ross Pottinger was, on that camping trip...

Last edited:
Onana literally starts walking with the ball and gets dispossessed. They get ball up and shoot. Goal.

That's four out of 13 I think. Nearly a quarter that could and should have been prevented.

Haha what? He got dispossessed in their half, how is that making it “easy” for them to score? Not a chance you’re getting away with calling that a defensive error.

We have conceded 12 in 13 games, whilst the back line looks more organised this season it's far from as solid as some are making out, we still give away far too many cheap, easy goals. For me the ball is still coming through midfield way too easily at the moment, the Gana thing hasn't quite worked imo.
Extrapolating that across the season it’s 35 goals conceded.

Only city, Liverpool and Chelsea conceded less than that last season. It’s a top 4 defence.

All I'll say on this point is look at the very short list of teams who have conceded fewer.

Part of it is down to Pickford, but for the most part it's a much better drilled defense.

Stats are:- Brentford 22,Crystal Palace 16, RS 15, Brighton 15, Fulham 22, Chelsea 15,MU 16, Toons 10, Spurs 16, City 11, Arsenal 11.

There the figures to compare us to. Our problem is at the other end, scoring goals.

Extrapolating that across the season it’s 35 goals conceded.

Only city, Liverpool and Chelsea conceded less than that last season. It’s a top 4 defence.
Unfortunately my highly sophisticated analytically driven super model has us conceding 49 goals

Status
Not open for further replies.