Gareth Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree with the second part but 'his nouse'? This is the same 'experience' that gave that stupid pen at Arsenal in the cup effectively knocking us out, got a load of suspensions last season, and got sent off v Chelsea costing us a point.

Let's look at those games then. The carling cup games Martinez put out weakened sides away at premier league teams so we rightly lost. It then follows that the only games in two seasons that we've lost when Barry hasn't played were both against City (I seem to remember both were good performances with poor refereeing). The other game we lost we actually scored 2 in the last half hour once he left the pitch after leaving us 2-0 down? Also show that we are unbeaten in the league last season when he doesn't play. I'm also not seeing the 3-0 home win over QPR that Barkley and Besic orchestrated.

So over a 6 game stretch last season (in the league) we won 4 and drew 2.

We beat a top European side away from home.

And the only league games in two seasons we've lost when Barry hasn't played were both games against City where we put in good perfornances.

Clearly we're a good side without him. Imagine extrapolating that league form over a whole season.

In terms of points thrown away this season? 2 at Watford, 2 at Spurs, both poor sides that other teams will seat aside with ease. We could have won both with some positive play from midfield. Indeed once Roberto moved Barry to left back against Watford and pushed Barkley back we pummelled Watford and scored 2.

He slows down everything we do. Drop the geriatric cruise boat now.
You're right, I missed the qpr game (3-1), I made this list by hand this morning. I'll definitely give you that one.

However, you've also completely ignored our 3-0 loss at Swansea.

The palace game both goals came from the wings when both Mirallas and Deulofeu decided not to defend.

Tim Howard had an incredible game at Wolfsburg, making 7 saves, and I believe Bendtner was wrongly called offside as well. How often can we count on that to happen?

In most of the other games, either Gibson has played or Osman has scored, 2 things that I don't think anyone on here is comfortable counting on.

Regarding Watford, why do you credit the offensive spark to the withdrawal of Barry rather than the introduction of Kone? It seems like an odd leap to anyone who doesn't clearly have an agenda.

You're right, I missed the qpr game (3-1), I made this list by hand this morning. I'll definitely give you that one.

However, you've also completely ignored our 3-0 loss at Swansea.

The palace game both goals came from the wings when both Mirallas and Deulofeu decided not to defend.

Tim Howard had an incredible game at Wolfsburg, making 7 saves, and I believe Bendtner was wrongly called offside as well. How often can we count on that to happen?

In most of the other games, either Gibson has played or Osman has scored, 2 things that I don't think anyone on here is comfortable counting on.

Regarding Watford, why do you credit the offensive spark to the withdrawal of Barry rather than the introduction of Kone? It seems like an odd leap to anyone who doesn't clearly have an agenda.

I thought the Swansea game was the league cup? Did we go down 3-0 in the league as well? Blimey we were bad.

This is getting a bit hypothetical 'if x didn't play or hadn't made those saves'. the only agenda I have is for Everton to be good. Barry played well at the start of Martinez's first season and can perform a role in s team if he's surrounded by different players (like he did 13/14 with Osman and Pienaar making the play for him). Currently though I just don't think he offers anything especially as Martinez has chosen to not include a single playmaker in his midfield. This puts the onus on the middle two to set the tempo and play forward and that's just not Barry's game. Perhaps the blame should go to Martinez for setting out teams that anyone can see are completely unbalanced and devoid of creativity but apparently I've got an agenda there as well.

All I know is we came 11th and bombed out of all the cups so these three statements can't all be true. Tim Howard is a top 6 prem player, Gareth Barry is a top 6 prem player, Roberto Martinez is a top 6 manager. But whenever I question any of these three it's as though it's the most preposterous thing ever and I've got an agenda. Apparently it's ok to slate Ross Barkley or Stones though (combined worth 100 mill) or Lukaku and Mirallas (50 mill) or even better put all the blame on Naismith and Kone even when they're not playing.

If Howard is boss, McCarthy is boss, Barry is boss, Martinez is boss, then why do we have such a boring average team? Can someone come up with a better answer than 'it was all those fans booing, then there was the Europa, would have been top 6 without that'

I've watched a side struggle to score and defend adequately for the best part of 18 months. If we're really going to be this bad I'd rather watch someone like Barkley or Besic have a go than have to watch another season of Barry and McCarthy pretend to play football. It's boring ineffective and doesn't work without playmakers ahead of them.

Which poor sides have we struggled to break down at home this season when Barry has played?

FYI for those interested, here's how we did when Barry didn't play or played a limited amount, since his arrival.

2013/14 season:
Fulham (CC) -Barry subbed on in 69th - Lost 2-1 (losing 2-1 when Barry came on)
City Away - Lost 3-1
Palace Home - Barry subbed off 58th - Lost 3-2 (losing 2-0 when he came off)
City Home - Lost 3-2
2014/15 season:
Swansea Away - Lost 3-0
West Ham Home - Won 2-1
Wolfsburg Away - Won 2-0
Sunderland Away - Barry subbed off in 12th - Tie 1-1
Leicester Home - Tie 2-2
Newcastle Home - Won 3-0
QPR Away - Won 2-1

To me it looks like it's all over the place. I don't think you can say that we're consistently better at breaking teams down without Barry.

I also think Barry has looked far better this season than he did at any point last season, which can be said for most of our team.
I think this trends how we all thought. He was very important during his loan year for us, but last season, we only lost once when he didn't play, won 4, and drew 2. Considering our record last season, that's pretty telling. Obviously correlation does not mean causation, but it certainly doesn't hurt the argument for sitting Gaz and giving Mo or a 1 holding mid set up a go.

I think this trends how we all thought. He was very important during his loan year for us, but last season, we only lost once when he didn't play, won 4, and drew 2. Considering our record last season, that's pretty telling. Obviously correlation does not mean causation, but it certainly doesn't hurt the argument for sitting Gaz and giving Mo or a 1 holding mid set up a go.

14 points out of 21 when he didnt play, over a season wed be on 76 points if that lasted lol

Gareth Barry cannot start in our midfield anymore. Every game we accommodate him even more than the one before. James McCarthy is too busy chasing the playing Barry should be picking up he then leaves gaps.

The balance isn't right, he's done a brilliant job especially the first season arguably our most consistent performer, but not anymore. He's now a liability. One who gives free kicks away in the wrong position at the wrong time, all the time. Why not give Besic a start? He was arguably our most consistent player during his run in the team last season, when the whole team was utter [Poor language removed]. Does anybody else think Martinez defers to senior players? Because that's the only reason I can see why Gareth Barry is still starting in our first XI.

Gareth Barry cannot start in our midfield anymore. Every game we accommodate him even more than the one before. James McCarthy is too busy chasing the playing Barry should be picking up he then leaves gaps.

The balance isn't right, he's done a brilliant job especially the first season arguably our most consistent performer, but not anymore. He's now a liability. One who gives free kicks away in the wrong position at the wrong time, all the time. Why not give Besic a start? He was arguably our most consistent player during his run in the team last season, when the whole team was utter [Poor language removed]. Does anybody else think Martinez defers to senior players? Because that's the only reason I can see why Gareth Barry is still starting in our first XI.

It's by far the most worrying aspect for me at the moment. There's a time and a place for him to play, but every league game? It's going to cost us massively if that's the case.

It's by far the most worrying aspect for me at the moment. There's a time and a place for him to play, but every league game? It's going to cost us massively if that's the case.

Exactly my point, why does he start every game? It's like he can't drop him for whatever reason that may be. And I wouldn't have any arguments if he was the player of 2 season ago, but he's not. It worries me every time he starts now.

To think we've got a player on the bench who in his first game as a midfielder shackled Messi. I'm not saying he's the finished article (far from it), but Gareth Barry couldn't get near Mesut Ozil in the 2010 World Cup for England and that was the Barry of 5 years ago! Just imagine Besic if he were to get a run of games. Right now he is the better option and can only improve. Whilst Barry's legs fail him with each game that passes him by.

Do you think a football has ever touched his right foot at any point in his life?

Yeah when he set up Spurs with their best three chances of the game in our last match. So glad he's in the side for all his 'experience' though, I mean you wouldn't want any other player who might lose the ball in dangerous areas.

I'm not sure. I would worry about Barry's lack of pace there but he would definitely be better when we have the ball.
I agree, if Barry was playing as left back he would be targeted, lack of pace would be a major issue as would his propensity to be booked. Particularly if he was yellow carded early.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back