Gareth Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.evertonfc.com/news/2015/09/03/lukaku-lauds-orchestrator-barry

Why Gareth Barry is in the team.

Quite simply, he might be a bit slow on his legs but last Saturday, he had more appearances than the rest of the players around and in front of him put together. His experience is extremely valuable when the rest of the team are so young.

People on here don't take the mental aspect into consideration when they judge a player and his performance.
Gareth Barry's mind is as valuable as Lukaku's goals in my opinion.
There's more to football than kicking a ball and before anyone gets cute, yes there's heading and throw ins as well but you know what I'm getting at. At least you should if you think you know the game.

I'd love a midfield of McCarthy, Besic & Barkley but there's not enough nous there for the premier league.

Give McCarthy this season and he will have clocked up 250 senior appearances so he should be able to step up into the midfield leader role that Barry currently holds.

GB will have served his purpose.
I bet he would be the first to admit that and be able to look back with pride as being a catalyst in the revival of Everton Football Club.

I watched Besic sit in front of his back 4 as the deepest lying midfielder (a la Barry) for 90' against Belgium last night, with Medunjanin and Pjanic in a defensive nominal 4-2-3-1, playing counter attack (sound familiar?). He got megged by Hazard once in his own box at the end and lost the ball upfield badly once when they were chasing the game. Considering he was dealing with Hazard, de Bruyne, man marking Fellaini for the first part of the game and had Belgium camped in his half all game, and he was short of match fitness, the lad did brilliantly. His distribution (long and short) was tidy and creative. He didn't lose possession and he went on a few mazy runs himself, drawing defenders all over the place. Alright, they lost 3-1 but he only got 'done' once in the whole game (by Hazard at the end). Belgium unlocked them but he was not to blame for first 2 goals.

How Barry gets in the Everton team ahead of this lad Besic is just criminal. Besic and Co shackled a (pretty much) full strength Belgium side with Fellaini, de Bruyne, Hazard, Nainngolan and Lukaku last night. If Barry is having a stinker and getting overrun, how is he holding his place in the team, and why is he playing the full 90' ahead of Besic? How is Besic supposed to step up, if learning consists of watching Gaz Baz chugging around like a veteran in an under 21 game?.

Barry must have a 'if fit, I play' clause.
I like Barry, dont get me wrong, but as Groucho intimated above, when he's fit he's great.
But if he's 90% fit or tired, the game can pass him by and you cannot afford your defensive mid to have an off day

Not as bad as last year, but we should still throw him in the bin/onto the bench. Maybe Besic will get mugged off a few times, but at least he'll be there trying to get the ball, and he offers so much more going forward/creating space.

I like the lad, so I would say 'overused'.

He's never going to be pacey now, but I feel he is decent when he's fresh/sharp, and used sensibly.

Wouldn't start him every game, but I feel his poor form last year was simply typical of the problems the team had as a whole.
Yeah, I agree. If he was used sparingly he'd probably still be ok for us. Unfortunately he plays every minute of every game and he can't physically do that so ends up playing crap.

Mad how last season whenever he was suspended we'd win handsomely and play good football, then when he was automatically restored to the first team for the next game we'd play like absolute drains

Everton striker Romelu Lukaku says Gareth Barry is "fundamental" to the Blues
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spor...s/everton-striker-romelu-lukaku-says-9988849?
Veteran midfielder Barry played 700th career game at Spurs
JS70941375.jpg

Gareth Barry is an essential part of Everton's team according to Romelu Lukaku
Gareth Barry is “fundamental” to Everton, says star striker Romelu Lukaku.
The veteran midfielder made his 700th career appearance last weekend, as the Blues drew 0-0 with Spurs.
Barry, who joined on loan from Manchester in 2013 before making a permanent switch 12 months later, is a pivotal part of Roberto Martinez’s side.
And Lukaku says Everton’s younger players value the experience the 34-year-old brings.
“Gareth is fundamental to our team,” Lukaku said. “He’s the one who coaches all the young players around him as the game is going on.
“If you see, he is the player with the most experience in the middle of the park and he has all the young players around him and he needs to coach us through the game sometimes.

PA-18287413.jpg

Everton's Romelu Lukaku (left) celebrates scoring with Gareth Barry
“He calms us down when we’re in possession and he knows when we need to play quicker, so he’s very important to our team.”

How Barry gets in the Everton team ahead of this lad Besic is just criminal. Besic and Co shackled a (pretty much) full strength Belgium side with Fellaini, de Bruyne, Hazard, Nainngolan and Lukaku last night. If Barry is having a stinker and getting overrun, how is he holding his place in the team, and why is he playing the full 90' ahead of Besic? How is Besic supposed to step up, if learning consists of watching Gaz Baz chugging around like a veteran in an under 21 game?.

Barry must have a 'if fit, I play' clause.
I like Barry, dont get me wrong, but as Groucho intimated above, when he's fit he's great.
But if he's 90% fit or tired, the game can pass him by and you cannot afford your defensive mid to have an off day

Its not criminal that he starts over Besic, its criminal that he starts over Besic ALL THE TIME.

The amount of times he gets caught dallying on the ball is a joke a la spurs last season... was a good player but it's obvious he's finished now... He is targeted by the opposition in every game now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back