Gareth Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely despise the man so you will find many more where you found them. Consistently 12th, sums up Barry to a tee. Painfully average but disguised in a way to dupe most people. 36 next year, I'm sure we'll still be wondering why we fall of a cliff most games after 70 mins. Hopefully Moshiri sees through the fraud and doesn't extend his contract.
Absolutely clueless.

While decline is never uniform, it is readily apparent (subjectively and objectively) that Gareth Barry cannot move around the pitch as well as he used to.

I suppose this could be because he's grown lazy or is secretly carrying an injury. But more likely it is because players lose speed, agility, and dexterity with age. Luckily for players like Gaz Baz, he is smart enough to have adapted his game and has proven incredibly effective in his role.

But he won't keep that up forever.

Because of age.

Which was my point.

Okay mate I see your point.

But he lost his ability to play a box-to-box role around 2010 mate (at the age of 29) - remember that World Cup game vs Germany?

Since then he's slotted to a holding midfield role and his ability to read the game, and like you said, done it very well - helping City to trophies in the meantime and doing so for six years now.

As long as he has an 'energy' player around him, we're fine.

Also, doesn't Barry have like the second-highest running (distance covered) stats in the league and wasn't that same last season as well?

So, even with his age, no signs that he's clearly lost his ability to cover ground in the position he needs to.

Barry is the second hardest working, covered most ground in the league, so he's the least lazy player we have. I would guess he receives the most passes from defence and players who are in trouble in our team. He never goes missing like some players will at times.

Top 10

Andrew Surman, Bournemouth - 303.85km (188.80m)

Gareth Barry, Everton - 297.64km (184.94m)

Craig Dawson, West Bromwich Albion - 278.57km (173.09m)

Etienne Capoue, Watford - 278.43km (173.00m)

Darren Fletcher, West Bromwich Albion - 271.46km (168.67m)

Mark Noble, West Ham United - 271.31km (168.58m)

Matt Ritchie, Bournemouth - 268.71km (166.96m)

Yann M'Vila, Sunderland - 268.59km (166.89m)

Dan Gosling, Bournemouth - 267.91km (166.47m)

Ross Barkley, Everton - 267.31km (166.09m)

The downside to all this one way traffic today is if Besic slots in and we sex Arsenal and United off the pitch and run away with the FA Cup, while Barry laments the red card and losing his place.

I hope that does happen so @Saint Domingo can ride on a big white horse, absolutely bollocko, into this thread and make us eat pure mud from the vaults.

That would be glorious retribution. Make it happen karma.

Okay mate I see your point.

But he lost his ability to play a box-to-box role around 2010 mate (at the age of 29) - remember that World Cup game vs Germany?

Since then he's slotted to a holding midfield role and his ability to read the game, and like you said, done it very well - helping City to trophies in the meantime and doing so for six years now.

As long as he has an 'energy' player around him, we're fine.

Also, doesn't Barry have like the second-highest running (distance covered) stats in the league and wasn't that same last season as well?

So, even with his age, no signs that he's clearly lost his ability to cover ground in the position he needs to.

Agreed on all points in the present. But I was commenting on a contract extension, i.e., Gareth Barry in 2017.

And even though I agree, I'd point out that his conditioning (which isn't in question) is different than his ability to recover or chase down players. But as you point out, so long as he's paired with the right player, that shortfall is mitigated.

Last edited:
Agreed on all points in the present. But I was commenting on a contract extension, i.e., Gareth Barry in 2017.

And even though I agree, I'd point out that his conditioning (which isn't in question) is different than his ability to recovery or chase down players. But as you point out, so long as he's paired with the right player, that shortfall is mitigated.

I'd say we shouldn't be making a call on a contract extension until this time next year at the earliest really.

Always good to have such an experienced player in the squad though.

Bounced back? We're 12th. I know everyone loves to blame just Howard for that but Lukaku aside no one has been performing to a great level at all. In odd games yes, but expectation levels of player consistency and consistency of performance really has gone down.

I said he's bounced back... the emphasis being on he... you can't pin our current 12th place all on one man.
And in terms of those who have stepped up this year, you wouldn't include Barkley alongside Lukaku then I take it ?

I reckon i could write a highly detailed comparison between them and have you believing that theyre very similar.

But its 120am here and i cant be bothered so instead i will say that Martinez is such an amazing tactician he has found the perfect role for Barry and its a shame Moyes didnt have an ounce of Martinez' ability otherwise he would have got far more our of Neville.

Moving on.... lol

I do think we need to find a successor. For me Besic and McCarthy are different types of player than the ideal one we need in that role 'The future Busquets'. Clearly we arent going to be able to find someone kr afford someone at their peak so perhaps Ledson or Walsh could come through gradually and be mentored by Barry OR Youri Tielemans or Ruben Neves are signed.

Such a key position for us and i see no harm in bringing in a potential world class player in the hope we have this position nailed down.

I reckon i could write a highly detailed comparison between them and have you believing that theyre very similar.

But its 120am here and i cant be bothered so instead i will say that Martinez is such an amazing tactician he has found the perfect role for Barry and its a shame Moyes didnt have an ounce of Martinez' ability otherwise he would have got far more our of Neville.

Moving on.... lol

I do think we need to find a successor. For me Besic and McCarthy are different types of player than the ideal one we need in that role 'The future Busquets'. Clearly we arent going to be able to find someone kr afford someone at their peak so perhaps Ledson or Walsh could come through gradually and be mentored by Barry OR Youri Tielemans or Ruben Neves are signed.

Such a key position for us and i see no harm in bringing in a potential world class player in the hope we have this position nailed down.

A key position, yet you wanna stick an 18 year old from a different league in it.

Use your brain before you type Zat, that way it will cut down on the wham to tosh ratio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back