• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

General Euros chatter

Yeah that is a bit much. O’Reillys will be about the same though. Lots of kiosks and spätis around where you can get beers for €2-3 and supermarkets even cheaper. Normal pubs will be cheaper than Irish pubs too

If there's anywhere decent you recommend for tonight, let us know? Might see you there if so!

Does anyone else hate the best third place teams introduction. I think it completely degrades the group stage and the competition. I prefer the old format with higher quality and less teams.

I'm a bit of a traditionalist in that sense but this third place qualifier in a 4 team group thing is nonsense. In the African cup of nations Ivory Coast came third having lost 4 nil and 1 nil in the group stage finishing 3rd with 3 points and a minus 3 goal difference and then had the chance to still go on and win the tournament which they did it just doesn't really seem right.

It seems like a free pass for teams to underperform early in the tournament and makes the importance of each match in the group stage significantly less.

Does anyone else hate the best third place teams introduction. I think it completely degrades the group stage and the competition. I prefer the old format with higher quality and less teams.

I'm a bit of a traditionalist in that sense but this third place qualifier in a 4 team group thing is nonsense. In the African cup of nations Ivory Coast came third having lost 4 nil and 1 nil in the group stage finishing 3rd with 3 points and a minus 3 goal difference and then had the chance to still go on and win the tournament which they did it just doesn't really seem right.

It seems like a free pass for teams to underperform early in the tournament and makes the importance of each match in the group stage significantly less.
It ruins the group stage.

Someone should be going home early in Group B, with every game a tense affair. Instead, it's, "Run up the score on Albania, draw one of the other two and you should be fine. Then the tournament starts."

It's great if you're a mediocre team like us in 1994, and can avoid the indignity of going out before the knockouts as the host, but that's about it.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back