George Green Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weird that because my real name is Danny.

Never understood why people froth at the mouth about George Green not being a massive fan of Unsworth.

No member of our staff is immune from criticism, I’m sure there was some other ex Everton players involved in a recent twitter thread about Unsworth too.

I would be interested in what Unsworth did to make ‘the next Gazza’ and someone that we invested a lot of time and money into, dislike him so much, and if we had someone else looking after that group of players in that age range , if any more of them would have made it

On the other hand it could well be a case of a troubled individual lashing out at someone who tried to help him. The old thing about having to recognise a problem and want help. Happens a lot and I've been there myself, kicked back at people who were trying to help me. It isn't even necessarily about the approach taken, the outcome can be anger and nastiness.

This was an article with Green from 2015 if anyone is interested;

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/dec/17/george-green-ossett-everton-oldham-tranmere

You can also follow him on twitter, where he regularly has snidey digs at Everton, Evertonians and David Unsworth.

I did look at his Twitter posts.... He doesn't help himself.

I spoke to Jim Harvey - ex Tranmere player who watched him for rovers and then had a short spell as Oldham coach. He said the kid had unreal ability.

I did look at his Twitter posts.... He doesn't help himself.

I spoke to Jim Harvey - ex Tranmere player who watched him for rovers and then had a short spell as Oldham coach. He said the kid had unreal ability.
Yeah I remember he scored a fantastic goal for Tranmere, then the reports were about him strutting about the club and not being arsed about training . Shame really that he never got to display his full talent as he got older.

Its sad but lads who throw away a god given talent are ten a penny. After I had given up serious football, I played a few games for the works team. There was a lad played who had been on Tottenham's books as a junior. He was about 20 years old, about 5 feet 10 inches but weighed about 16 stone. He played in the back four, did hardly any running but read the game brilliantly. He never missed a pass whether long or short and his ball control was impeccable. I did a bit of investigating into his football background and found out that his problems began when he discovered Ale. He put weight on quickly and Tottenham got rid. The other side of the coin is those who have less natural ability but work their socks off but don't make it.

Its sad but lads who throw away a god given talent are ten a penny. After I had given up serious football, I played a few games for the works team. There was a lad played who had been on Tottenham's books as a junior. He was about 20 years old, about 5 feet 10 inches but weighed about 16 stone. He played in the back four, did hardly any running but read the game brilliantly. He never missed a pass whether long or short and his ball control was impeccable. I did a bit of investigating into his football background and found out that his problems began when he discovered Ale. He put weight on quickly and Tottenham got rid. The other side of the coin is those who have less natural ability but work their socks off but don't make it.

I ran a kids team in Dublin
Had a few lads played for Ireland at young ages.
Had lads at trial at United Etc.
They hit 16/17 and discover girls and alcohol and for a lot it goes out the window.
The lad that made it to the highest level League of Ireland B could barely kick a ball at 9 yrs of age but by God did he train hard and rarely missed a session
As you say ability without dedication means nothing

Weird that because my real name is Danny.

Never understood why people froth at the mouth about George Green not being a massive fan of Unsworth.

No member of our staff is immune from criticism, I’m sure there was some other ex Everton players involved in a recent twitter thread about Unsworth too.

I would be interested in what Unsworth did to make ‘the next Gazza’ and someone that we invested a lot of time and money into, dislike him so much, and if we had someone else looking after that group of players in that age range , if any more of them would have made it

Funny you say that actually, because I know Sheedy was a big fan of George Green, and despite Koeman/Walsh being blamed for Sheedy leaving, I heard rumblings that Usworth and Sheedy didn't see eye to eye, so would lend credence to that.

Still, I think everyone had big hopes for Green and he just didn't have the right attitude. Even at Tranmere there were reports of him just blowing it off after scoring that worldie on his debut (I think). It's a shame like. Just makes the ones who do have amazing careers like Rooney all the more special.

The pressure being “the next Gazza” brings must be enormous. If you don’t really think it’s pressure because he was wadded, then check out Gazza now.
Money, and lots of it in comparison to your peer group, is not in any way shape or form a replacement for family structure, discipline and general stability and wellbeing. It attracts all sorts of malingerers, and all sorts of temptation, none of which aligns with being a consistently professional athlete. Of course money helps many things, but it doesn’t help people cope with insecurity, lack of confidence or mental health issues.
I hope the lad stays on track and carves himself out a career that is in line with his ability.

I was actually more worried for the original posters state of mind bearing in mind he went to Edgeley Park to support Stockport County.

Played against Stockport County at Edgeley Park in 1958. It was a trial game for the Great Britain team for the Rome Olympics. I was captain of the North of England team which included a young Bob Wilson who went on to play for Arsenal. I didn't make the GB team but neither did Bob Wilson! Stockport County were a better side in those days.

Status
Not open for further replies.