Gerard Deulofeu - Once a Blue, always a Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's been linked to several teams for a loan: Everton, Valencia, Atletico & Porto...Lucho wants his future resolved by July 14 which is when the first team returns for preseason

Linked with Sevilla as well as a condition of the rakitic deal.

"Romelu is a bit like Gerard, a great player but a youngster, he arrived in Liverpool without much tactical discipline, but he has improved a lot, without losing any of his physical or technical assets," said Martinez.

"If he ends up going to Atletico, knowing the work of (Atletico coach) Diego Simeone, it will be good for Simeone and for Atletico. I also think his characteristics will suit Simeone, and vice-versa."

I can't believe he's come out with that if we're still in with a chance of taking him, a tad naive imo.

I can't believe he's come out with that if we're still in with a chance of taking him, a tad naive imo.
Why?

Would it impact our negotiations? I think this is blown out of proportion. All he said was that Lukaku is ace, Atletico is ace, and Simeone is ace. These things are all true.

If Lukaku needed Roberto to say that to the press to convince him to go to Atletico, then he's much more dim than I suspected. Otherwise, Roberto is just saying what every one on the planet can see. If he comes to Everton, it won't be because Atletico is a bad fit, but because we offered something they aren't. Simple.

I thought you'd have learnt after him saying he wanted to keep Jelavic in the media that you should take zero notice of anything Martinez says to the papers. Whether or not we get Lukaku will have precisely zero to do with newspaper interviews.

Why?

Would it impact our negotiations? I think this is blown out of proportion. All he said was that Lukaku is ace, Atletico is ace, and Simeone is ace. These things are all true.

If Lukaku needed Roberto to say that to the press to convince him to go to Atletico, then he's much more dim than I suspected. Otherwise, Roberto is just saying what every one on the planet can see. If he comes to Everton, it won't be because Atletico is a bad fit, but because we offered something they aren't. Simple.

Roberto has scuppered the deal with his comments im FUMING.

Why?

Firstly, I didn't say it'd impact our negotiations, I said it was naïve.

I can't say I ever heard Ferguson or Mourinho bigging up another club and their manager in specific reference to their prime targets.

Firstly, I didn't say it'd impact our negotiations, I said it was naïve.

I can't say I ever heard Ferguson or Mourinho bigging up another club and their manager in specific reference to their prime targets.
Martinez is a new breed, I think. Mourinho and Ferguson ruled by fear. Step out of line and they'll crush you. Roberto seems to try and rule by respect. He wants these lads to love him. I'm not sure if it will work in the long run, but I suspect that he's willing to chance this kind of thing to show Lukaku that he cares about him and his best interests.

I have absolute faith in only one thing regarding Roberto - and that's the way he handles the media. He's an absolutely brilliant politician type that always seems to know what to say and how to say it to make people love him. The man got relegated last year and is seen as a sage. No one hates him - how could you?

Martinez seems to be of the "speak softly and carry a big stick" breed. He has been described as engaging and charismatic up until the point you relax or take something for granted, then he puts a boot up your arse.

His brogues were white to begin with. True story.

Martinez is a new breed, I think. Mourinho and Ferguson ruled by fear. Step out of line and they'll crush you. Roberto seems to try and rule by respect. He wants these lads to love him. I'm not sure if it will work in the long run, but I suspect that he's willing to chance this kind of thing to show Lukaku that he cares about him and his best interests.

I have absolute faith in only one thing regarding Roberto - and that's the way he handles the media. He's an absolutely brilliant politician type that always seems to know what to say and how to say it to make people love him. The man got relegated last year and is seen as a sage. No one hates him - how could you?
I've got no problem with the way he comes across in the media, in fact quite the reverse, I think he's been a complete breath of fresh air.

But equally I don't think that mentioning a negative should be considered sacrosanct and in this case, for me, he should kept his counsel, as there was no need to comment on it.

I've got no problem with the way he comes across in the media, in fact quite the reverse, I think he's been a complete breath of fresh air.

But equally I don't think that mentioning a negative should be considered sacrosanct and in this case, for me, he should kept his counsel, as there was no need to comment on it.
I agree that nothing should be sacrosanct. I just feel that in regards to his media presence that this is most likely a calculated move - I feel that way because of how well he generally conducts himself in the media. I could, of course, be wrong, but I feel like people are too quick to assume that these comments mean that we're throwing in the towel for Lukaku.

Lukaku has spent a year being managed by RM. The management team of Lukaku will have been told exactly what Everton can spend on Lukaku and I would say that Everton also know what contract Lukaku would require.

I don't think that a random comment is going to change anything dramatically.

IMO , Everton have a chance of signing Lukaku...how great that chance is only a select few know.If there was no chance at all
we would have been told at the very start and by now we would have moved to other targets.

I think Lukaku is waiting to see which clubs are interested. I think he liked his time at Everton,liked the fans,manager and supporters.
I think he would happily go back to Everton unless an offer from one of the really big clubs come in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back