Gerard Deulofeu - Once a Blue, always a Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seemed to regress in my opinion, started off unpredictable, such as against United, Liverpool, Arsenal and Stoke to name a few, but then by the end only wanted to do the same trick. I would take him for another year, but he has to do something other than two step overs, a heavy touch down the line, and a drilled cross to the keeper.

Classic young firework of a player. Exciting and unpredictable. Few youngsters like that make the transition to full-on terrorist like Ronaldo or Bale did. Best of luck to him, but he needs to know he's got a lot to learn.

Roberto Martinez: "Deulofeu is ready for Barca"

Interviewed by MD while covering the WC in Brasil

Roberto-Martinez-con-Gerard-De_54405983171_54115221154_600_396.jpg

"Yes, he is ready to play at the club because he has a special talent, qualities that make him different."

"I was thrilled that Vicente del Bosque called him up for the friendly prior to the World Cup. He had followed Deulofeu throughout the season at Everton and had been able to evaluate his performances as being at a high level."

Martinez didn't hide the fact that 'ideally we would've liked Gerard to continue for another season at Everton.'

"For Deulofeu, he would've enjoyed greater prominence staying than he is likely to encounter with the competition that awaits him at Barcelona. At Everton he would've been amazing and another year in the Premier League would've finished preparing him for the jump to Barcelona. But they (Barcelona) didn't want it, I guess because Luis Enrique, who knows him well, knows his worth."

"The best thing that Gerard has gained during his time at Everton has been his ability to learn, to be integrated into a system, a team, play less individually and to earn the respect of his teammates who didn't hesitate to give him the ball in tight situations that he unlocked."

The biggest change he noted in the player was his consistency, more or less playing at the same level throughout a match. "Before, his genius appeared during certain stretches of the match and other times he didn't seem involved in the match. He has also significantly improved his fitness. The Premier League is demanding in that respect, not enough to have pace if you don't have strength as well. This was something that happened to Jesus Navas as well who evolved."

In the rest of that interview, he thinks Lukaku will do well at Athletico?? That`s two of Evertons staff now saying that!

Here we go a quick copy and paste.

As well as Deulofeu, Martinez will be without another of his star performers last season, with striker Romelu Lukaku heading back to parent club Chelsea after scoring 15 goals while on loan with Everton.

However, it is believed the Belgian international could follow Deulofeu in heading to Spain, with champions Atletico Madrid tipped to sign him as part of a deal that will see Diego Costa join Jose Mourinho's side.

"Romelu is a bit like Gerard, a great player but a youngster, he arrived in Liverpool without much tactical discipline, but he has improved a lot, without losing any of his physical or technical assets," said Martinez.

"If he ends up going to Atletico, knowing the work of (Atletico coach) Diego Simeone, it will be good for Simeone and for Atletico. I also think his characteristics will suit Simeone, and vice-versa."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back