Gerard Deulofeu - Once a Blue, always a Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lukaku, Mirallas & Barkely notwithstanding, most Spanish clubs have a higher technical level across their squads - so in addition to being virtually unplayable each & everytime he played, Martinez' use of him didn't make much sense. Early on all I could think was that Roberto was trying to strategize how best to keep him longer than one season. Plus, Roberto always has come across as more intelligent than rash or emotional (Emery/Lucho) about squad selection which also begged the question of why not play him more.

McGeady was a late addition and benefited only because Geri had gotten injured otherwise Deulofeu was really finding his form at the time. I give Sevilla a bit more latitude because they don't have the revenue of Everton & Premiership TV money - they have to succeed in Europa league and scrap for every nickel

I keep thinking about how excited the player was to arrive back in Barcelona and attend his first training after a fairly successful spell with Everton - then barely play in preseason and get shipped back out on loan...All while Munir, Adama & Sandro all got more chances than him. I think he's deserved better and I'm certainly not alone in thinking this
Virtually unplayable? Must have watched a different Everon then last season. Although Deulofeu had undoubted quality, he or me was also the most frustrating player in our squad. Clearly you could see bags of talent and potential shining through. Would love to have him back on a perm though. Young players need time to develop and I'm confident he will progress into a very good player, but to call him virtually unplayable after a few good spells in a couple of games is taking it a (fair) bit too far imo.

Lukaku, Mirallas & Barkely notwithstanding, most Spanish clubs have a higher technical level across their squads - so in addition to being virtually unplayable each & everytime he played, Martinez' use of him didn't make much sense. Early on all I could think was that Roberto was trying to strategize how best to keep him longer than one season. Plus, Roberto always has come across as more intelligent than rash or emotional (Emery/Lucho) about squad selection which also begged the question of why not play him more.

McGeady was a late addition and benefited only because Geri had gotten injured otherwise Deulofeu was really finding his form at the time. I give Sevilla a bit more latitude because they don't have the revenue of Everton & Premiership TV money - they have to succeed in Europa league and scrap for every nickel

I keep thinking about how excited the player was to arrive back in Barcelona and attend his first training after a fairly successful spell with Everton - then barely play in preseason and get shipped back out on loan...All while Munir, Adama & Sandro all got more chances than him. I think he's deserved better and I'm certainly not alone in thinking this
I'm a big Geri fan but calling him "virtually unplayable each and every time he played" is hyperbole at its finest.

especially when he came back from injury it took him a while to refind his form, he was clearly nervous that his hamstring was going to go again and he seemed to have forgotten all the defensive work he had started to put in. No slight on the lad, Barkley was doing much the same but you only had to watch the Spurs game when they both came on as late subs to hlep win us the game and neither could play a simple pass to the other to realise why they were reintroduced slowly.

But I too am sad to see how his season has panned out, would have been much better for all I think if he'd stayed with us a second season.

I'm a big Geri fan but calling him "virtually unplayable each and every time he played" is hyperbole at its finest.

especially when he came back from injury it took him a while to refind his form, he was clearly nervous that his hamstring was going to go again and he seemed to have forgotten all the defensive work he had started to put in. No slight on the lad, Barkley was doing much the same but you only had to watch the Spurs game when they both came on as late subs to hlep win us the game and neither could play a simple pass to the other to realise why they were reintroduced slowly.

But I too am sad to see how his season has panned out, would have been much better for all I think if he'd stayed with us a second season.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion on player assessment...I think mine echoed that of the club when they recalled him as was rumoured since Dec/Jan of last season

Yeah, in retrospect, maybe Everton would've been a better choice but the danger then, for a Barcelona fan, is that he'd get accustomed to the English game & adulation which could've complicated his eventual return. But the truth is he needed more experience with less space in front of him, his abilities in space were already well developed - in the Primera he'd have to learn to play his way out of bunkered defenses and open things up for his teammates

But concur on feeling bad for him. As I always say, he ironically has been one of the club's players I've liked the least but I don't like seeing our youth players so poorly handled. Plus, I think his upside is genuinely off the charts

Everyone is entitled to their opinion on player assessment...I think mine echoed that of the club when they recalled him as was rumoured since Dec/Jan of last season

Yeah, in retrospect, maybe Everton would've been a better choice but the danger then, for a Barcelona fan, is that he'd get accustomed to the English game & adulation which could've complicated his eventual return. But the truth is he needed more experience with less space in front of him, his abilities in space were already well developed - in the Primera he'd have to learn to play his way out of bunkered defenses and open things up for his teammates

But concur on feeling bad for him. As I always say, he ironically has been one of the club's players I've liked the least but I don't like seeing our youth players so poorly handled. Plus, I think his upside is genuinely off the charts
He had started to develop that a bit with us, he did well against Stoke who were packing the box and looked to be doing the same vs Fulham before his hamstring went.

Although he had his best game in an Everton shirt was in an open game against Newcastle last March, wish he was playing for us against them on Sunday - Geri probably does too.

He had started to develop that a bit with us, he did well against Stoke who were packing the box and looked to be doing the same vs Fulham before his hamstring went.

Although he had his best game in an Everton shirt was in an open game against Newcastle last March, wish he was playing for us against them on Sunday - Geri probably does too.

I enjoyed, very much, several of his performances in an Everton shirt. I was very happy for him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back