Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Goats squad analysis thread 2018/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, I'm going to have to ask, the squad numbers released today and no Browning nor Galloway in the list, can we really include them in the squad totals?

Probably not, any other year I would have removed them by now, but with me doing running totals and stuff I dont wanna mess the numbers up, they certainly wont make the end of the month squad list I will do. They will either be punted or play for the U23s.

Certain players I added expecting them to be punted.

Probably not, any other year I would have removed them by now, but with me doing running totals and stuff I dont wanna mess the numbers up, they certainly wont make the end of the month squad list I will do. They will either be punted or play for the U23s.

Certain players I added expecting them to be punted.

Can we not punt them from the list and add them as two more outs since they're exiled pleaseeeee

Can we not punt them from the list and add them as two more outs since they're exiled pleaseeeee

Request granted.

Manager : Marco Silva

GK
Jordan Pickford

Maarten Stekelenburg

RB
Séamus Coleman
Jonjoe Kenny
Callum Connolly

LB
Lucas Digne

Leighton Baines

CB
Michael Keane

Phil Jagielka
Mason Holgate
Matthew Pennington

DM/CM/AM
Muhamed Bešić
Morgan Schneiderlin
James McCarthy [+]
Idrissa Gueye
Gylfi Sigurðsson
Tom Davies
Beni Baningime
Kieran Dowell

Widers
Richarlison
Yannick Bolasie
Theo Walcott
Ademola Lookman

Strikers
Cenk Tosun
Oumar Niasse
Sandro Ramírez
Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Total players : 27
Players culled so far : 14
Players purchased so far : 2

Players sold/loaned :
Robles, Mori, Garbutt, Williams, Rooney, Klaassen, Tarashaj, Onyekuru, Robinson.

TBC Mirallas, Martina, Vlasic, Galloway, Browning

Request granted.

Manager : Marco Silva

GK
Jordan Pickford

Maarten Stekelenburg

RB
Séamus Coleman
Jonjoe Kenny
Callum Connolly

LB
Lucas Digne

Leighton Baines

CB
Michael Keane

Phil Jagielka
Mason Holgate
Matthew Pennington

DM/CM/AM
Muhamed Bešić
Morgan Schneiderlin
James McCarthy [+]
Idrissa Gueye
Gylfi Sigurðsson
Tom Davies
Beni Baningime
Kieran Dowell

Widers
Richarlison
Yannick Bolasie
Theo Walcott
Ademola Lookman

Strikers
Cenk Tosun
Oumar Niasse
Sandro Ramírez
Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Total players : 27
Players culled so far : 14
Players purchased so far : 2

Players sold/loaned :
Robles, Mori, Garbutt, Williams, Rooney, Klaassen, Tarashaj, Onyekuru, Robinson.

TBC Mirallas, Martina, Vlasic, Galloway, Browning

Woo thank you, just looks more realistic now come Wolves.

Woo thank you, just looks more realistic now come Wolves.

The whole thing highlights to me what a great job Brands has done so far, im not sure people really appreciate how hard it would have been to get rid of Williams and Klaassen for 2, considering their wages.

Hes shed a LOT of utter tosh and got the wage bill to an acceptable level, whilst not leaving us short, bar of course CB, which im pretty sure he will address in the next few days.

But it also highlights just how much more work he has ahead of him, as he says, its a long term job, im sure nobody sensible expected him to sort this mess of a squad within his first window, but I like his ruthlessness and our future appears to be in very safe hands. The proof of course will be in the CB pudding.

The whole thing highlights to me what a great job Brands has done so far, im not sure people really appreciate how hard it would have been to get rid of Williams and Klaassen for 2, considering their wages.

Hes shed a LOT of utter tosh and got the wage bill to an acceptable level, whilst not leaving us short, bar of course CB, which im pretty sure he will address in the next few days.

But it also highlights just how much more work he has ahead of him, as he says, its a long term job, im sure nobody sensible expected him to sort this mess of a squad within his first window, but I like his ruthlessness and our future appears to be in very safe hands. The proof of course will be in the CB pudding.

I think last Summer with all the signings really spoiled people and they're expecting under Mosh that will be the status quo. To me this window was all about getting rid of the absolute dirge we've stockpiled over the years. We definitely still need a couple of bodies in but I think even just having less players on the training pitch will improve our performances. Must be so difficult trying to teach 30 odd players the tactics even though most won't be needed. If you take a look at the list it's taking shape:

GK
Jordan Pickford

Maarten Stekelenburg Replace eventually, fine for this Summer.

RB
Séamus Coleman
Jonjoe Kenny
Callum Connolly
Fine.

LB
Lucas Digne

Leighton Baines Fine, one year more experience for Robinson to see if he can replace Baines as back-up next season.

CB
Michael Keane

Phil Jagielka
Mason Holgate
Matthew Pennington 2 starters needed, Holgate to rotate and I think next season Feeney and/or Gibson will be an able 4/5th choice.

DM/CM/AM
Muhamed Bešić
Morgan Schneiderlin
James McCarthy [+]
Idrissa Gueye
In terms of DM's I think we need one top quality addition here.

Gylfi Sigurðsson
Tom Davies
Beni Baningime
Kieran Dowell
We're a little light here if Silva wants his midfield 3 to be a number 6 and two others. 1 addition is a must, eventually a second.

Widers
Richarlison
Yannick Bolasie
Theo Walcott
Ademola Lookman Need another winger IMO and hopefully Onyekuru back next season with a work permit - sorted for absolutely ages.

Strikers
Cenk Tosun
Oumar Niasse
Sandro Ramírez
Dominic Calvert-Lewin I'd say eventually we need a top class striker but I do like Tosun and we all know I love my boy.

So in this window + January we're desperate for 2x CB's and a CM for me. The rest we can get by till next season where the cull should be a lot less drastic.

I think last Summer with all the signings really spoiled people and they're expecting under Mosh that will be the status quo. To me this window was all about getting rid of the absolute dirge we've stockpiled over the years. We definitely still need a couple of bodies in but I think even just having less players on the training pitch will improve our performances. Must be so difficult trying to teach 30 odd players the tactics even though most won't be needed. If you take a look at the list it's taking shape:

GK
Jordan Pickford

Maarten Stekelenburg Replace eventually, fine for this Summer.

RB
Séamus Coleman
Jonjoe Kenny
Callum Connolly
Fine.

LB
Lucas Digne

Leighton Baines Fine, one year more experience for Robinson to see if he can replace Baines as back-up next season.

CB
Michael Keane

Phil Jagielka
Mason Holgate
Matthew Pennington 2 starters needed, Holgate to rotate and I think next season Feeney and/or Gibson will be an able 4/5th choice.

DM/CM/AM
Muhamed Bešić
Morgan Schneiderlin
James McCarthy [+]
Idrissa Gueye
In terms of DM's I think we need one top quality addition here.

Gylfi Sigurðsson
Tom Davies
Beni Baningime
Kieran Dowell
We're a little light here if Silva wants his midfield 3 to be a number 6 and two others. 1 addition is a must, eventually a second.

Widers
Richarlison
Yannick Bolasie
Theo Walcott
Ademola Lookman Need another winger IMO and hopefully Onyekuru back next season with a work permit - sorted for absolutely ages.

Strikers
Cenk Tosun
Oumar Niasse
Sandro Ramírez
Dominic Calvert-Lewin I'd say eventually we need a top class striker but I do like Tosun and we all know I love my boy.

So in this window + January we're desperate for 2x CB's and a CM for me. The rest we can get by till next season where the cull should be a lot less drastic.

Yeah I agree with most of that, we defo need 2 CBs, I mean ive still got a very, very small glimmer for Keane, very, very small and Holgate could certainly be a goer, maybe he might need another 12months before hes nailing down a start tho.

Im very happy with the fullbacks, for me JJK hasnt been amazing, but theres defo potential there and hes a very able back up, on the wings our options are very good, no depth at all tho. The midfield is just an utter mess, im torn between whether we need a DM or a number 8, I mean clearly we need both, but I honestly dont know which need is more pressing.

Also up top im not totally convinced we have enough quality, but if we get at least 1 CB in and at least 1 DM/CM, of real quality, we can certainly field a very decent first 11.

We clearly dont have a squad able to damage the top 6, as it stands, but it looks good enough to compete for sure, thats all you can ask for at this point.

I mean expecting only to compete after spending almost 350m in 2 years, Everton ladies and gents.

Mirallas given the number 8 makes me nervous. Wish we would make a decision with him like. Wouldn't be bothered if we kept him because for me he could play up front as a second striker if needed. Wouldn't mind offloading him either.

I agree that removing the Koeman tat will take a few windows yet. However, your claim that he's done a great job in shifting out Klaassen and Williams makes no sense. You dont know what the terms were. Anyone could shift players out if the club are willing to continue to pay a massive slice of the wages and offer a club loaning them a cut price deal at the end of it if they wanted to keep them for good.

Should Joe Williams not be added as he has been given a squad number?

Personally I will be shocked if he gets game time, im currently keeping an eye on him and others. I suppose it will depend if Besic is retained, if Beni goes on loan, but for now I wont be adding him.

I agree that removing the Koeman tat will take a few windows yet. However, your claim that he's done a great job in shifting out Klaassen and Williams makes no sense. You dont know what the terms were. Anyone could shift players out if the club are willing to continue to pay a massive slice of the wages and offer a club loaning them a cut price deal at the end of it if they wanted to keep them for good.

Think most people are happy to see them moved on Dave.

I have faith that Marcel did the best deal he felt he could get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back