Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Goats squad analysis thread 2018/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure we should have got rid of Sandro and Bolasie myself. I suppose they're on massive wages for what would be fourth or fifth choice wingers.

Maybe we should have kept Vlasic but then it would be a wasted year for him.

58354FA8-54DA-482E-B523-FEC932C8CFD2.webp

Wouldn’t mind seeing this for big parts of the season (obviously with rotation and inclusion of the players who i couldn’t fit in). Certainly a much nicer squad than we had this time last year! Would still like to see a top midfielder in there and a striker good enough to see Tosun reduced to the bench - but all in good time.

Manager : Marco Silva

GK
Jordan Pickford
Maarten Stekelenburg
João Virginia

RB
Séamus Coleman
Jonjoe Kenny

LB
Leighton Baines
Lucas Digne

CB
Yerry Mina
Kurt Zouma
Mason Holgate
Phil Jagielka
Michael Keane

DM/CM/AM
Morgan Schneiderlin
Idrissa Gueye
Beni Baningime
Tom Davies
James McCarthy
André Gomes
Gylfi Sigurðsson
Kieran Dowell

Widers
Richarlison
Bernard
Theo Walcott
Ademola Lookman

ST
Cenk Tosun
Dominic Calvert-Lewin
Oumar Niasse

Total players: 27
Players culled so far: 19
Players purchased so far: 7

Players Out :
Robles, Garbutt(Loan), Mori, Rooney, Klaassen, Tarashaj(Loan), Onyekuru(Loan), Williams, Robinson(Loan), Mirallas(Loan), Connolly(Loan), Vlasic(Loan), Martina(Loan), Besic(Loan), Bolasie(Loan), Sandro(Loan), Pennington(Loan), Browning(U23), Galloway(U23).

Analysis to follow.

We started the window off with 39 players, in that time we have sold 4 players, loaned out 13 players and demoted 2 to the U23s.

We purchased 5 players and loaned 2.

We ended the window with 27 players, which is a much healthier number than 39, with that many players, provided we get some half decent cup runs, most players should get some game time. But lets see if the window brought improvement.

GK
Pickford is number 1, he was number 1 at the start and he hopefully will be for a while, we sold Robles, retained Stek, we replaced Robles with the young boy from Arsenal, Virginia. Time will judge whether that was astute business, he comes very highly rated, but its difficult to say whether hes an improvement on Robles, who was a decent steady Keeper all in all.

Improvement: Maybe

RB
Nothing new here, we retained Coleman and JJK and loaned out Connolly and Martina, you would presume Martina isnt coming back, hope more than anything, Connolly will hopefully improve with another loan out, I like the boy, hes got potential.

Improvement: Equal

LB
We retained Baines, we loaned out Garbutt, who again you would presume isnt part of our long term plans, Galloway I would think will mostly play for the U23s and we of course bought Digne and Robinson like Connolly will hopefully benefit from a loan.

Improvement: Yes

CB
Keane, Jags, Holgate were retained, Williams was loaned out, he will be out of contract at the end of the loan, so wont be returning, Mori was sold for a very small profit, Pennington was loaned out, Browning will drop to the U23s, we of course bought Mina and loaned Zouma from Chelsea.

Improvement: Yes

CM
We retained Morgan, McCarthy, Gana, Iceland, Davies, Beni and Dowell, we loaned out Besic, sold Rooney and loaned Gomes. Did we improve? Its hard to say, Gomes is potentially a very good player, but hes had his problems and hes struggling to get fit also currently, I would probably have to say.

Widers
We retained Walcott and Ratfink, we loaned out Bolasie, Vlasic and Mirallas, we bought Rico and got Bernard in on a free.

Improvement: YES

Strikers
We retained Tosun, Niasse and DCL, Sandro was, of course, loaned out.

So in my humble opinion, no area of the squad was weakened, we improved our LBs, our CBs and our Widers, we lost nobody in the window we wished to retain and we gave ourselves a squad able to compete. All in all a very pleasing window for me, improvements made, trash taken out and a vast improvement on windows previously.

Tune in around December when I will be taking a brief look at what areas we need to focus on for the winter window, thanks for reading.

But three of those are injured so we have 2 CM’s. I only discuss the present not the future.
Wrong. We have Snides, Gana, Davies right now, with Gomes supposedly back this week.

Really wise. Only think about the present, never the future.

Would be great if we treated all of our youth players with that attitude.

Wrong.

Gana is injured.
Oh, for 3 days? Lets line up a replacement then! Marco Silva "“It is possible he [Idrissa Gueye] won’t be available for the match,” Sounds serious...

BTW, thank you for helping me prove my point of just how pointless it is to keep Beni rather than loan him out. As you said, we are at our MOST injured time of the entire season for our midfielders, and yet Beni cant even get on the bench...

How does he get any playing time with Gana and Gomes available in the next few days?

Oh, for 3 days? Lets line up a replacement then! Marco Silva "“It is possible he [Idrissa Gueye] won’t be available for the match,” Sounds serious...

BTW, thank you for helping me prove my point of just how pointless it is to keep Beni rather than loan him out. As you said, we are at our MOST injured time of the entire season for our midfielders, and yet Beni cant even get on the bench...

How does he get any playing time with Gana and Gomes available in the next few days?

Beni is injured that's probs why...

You're coming across as a right idiot here.

Beni is injured that's probs why...

You're coming across as a right idiot here.
Hahahahaha, your delusion of grandeur is quite something. You've seriously advocated keeping 19 center mids, keeping players who have no hope of seeing any meaningful game time, you have ACTUALLY admitted that you dont think about the future when making decisions, and now resorted to calling people names because you've been found out.

Just pack it in, its about that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back