Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Goats squad analysis thread 2018/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well in that case the answer is Ross Barkley, who improved significantly and then regressed almost as significantly before being sold.

I think the point GSG was trying to get to is how many players have we sold at their peak with us. Fellaini and Lescott both fit that profile. Lukaku too. Arteta would maybe fit that...he wasn't too far from peak Everton Arteta.

Arteta was past his peak when we sold him, it's why no one was really that bothered at the time.

Arteta is my all time favourite but he was well past his best.. I was personally happy to see him get a chance to have some silverware in his cupboard before he hung up his boots. Was fair for him and allowed us to lose the Arteta money in "other expenses".

Uh Lukaku?

Nah, can't bring myself to agree with that...or Stones, both started off pretty well to begin with. Felli's about as close as it gets as his start with us was pretty inauspicious.

I think the point GSG was trying to get to is how many players have we sold at their peak with us. Fellaini and Lescott both fit that profile. Lukaku too. Arteta would maybe fit that...he wasn't too far from peak Everton Arteta.

What I was mainly trying to throw out there is how well (or not) our coaching seems to be on an individual level when you actually delve in to it. There's not one person that really springs to mind that went from being pretty poor to making a large improvement as an individual in their position and then us selling them for a large sum of money. Lescott started fine, Arteta wasn't a mess, Rooney was gifted from the word go, why Real took Gravesen is anyone's guess. It's not easy to answer and makes me raise an eyebrow; it's not something I'd ever really questioned that closely until last night.

We make improvements as a team here and there but I can't recall one player making significant individual improvements that made you take a step back...especially when it comes to reading the game and making decisions. Player development, basically... Not attempting to pull a sourpuss here, but it's genuinely vexing me. Someone set me straight.

Last edited:

Nah, can't bring myself to agree with that...or Stones, both started off pretty well to begin with. Felli's about as close as it gets as his start with us was pretty inauspicious.

What I was mainly trying to throw out there is how well (or not) our coaching seems to be on an individual level when you actually delve in to it. There's not one person that really springs to mind that went from being pretty poor to making a large improvement as an individual in their position and then us selling them for a large sum of money. Lescott started fine, Arteta wasn't a mess, Rooney was gifted from the word go, why Real took Gravesen is anyone's guess. It's not easy to answer and makes me raise an eyebrow; it's not something I'd ever really questioned that closely until last night.

We make improvements as a team here and there but I can't recall one player making significant individual improvements that made you take a step back...especially when it comes to reading the game and making decisions. Player development, basically... Not attempting to pull a sourpuss here, but it's genuinely vexing me. Someone set me straight.

I dunno. I think Lescott moving from left back to a top center back shouldn't be sniffed at. Baines was good when he got here but developed into one of the best LB's in Europe. I think Jagielka definitely improved from when he arrived to his peak. Coleman definitely did as well. I'm sure I could come up with others. I mean Distin actually learned how to play the ball on the deck...even if he went badly gash there at the end.

Great question but hard to sort out. Did Spurs develop Harry Kane, or is the credit given to Orient, Millwall, Norwich, and Leicester?

Pienaar - from his first start away at Bolton to when he went to Spurs he had significantly improved as a player in adapting to the demands of the Oremier League.

It’s a bit unfair that you are including that we had to have sold them on at their peaks. Baines went from Wigan leftback to one of the best in Europe. I’m sure we could have sold him around 2010-12 if we’d wanted to. Coleman from 60k Irish league player to best right back in the prem. Jagielka from championship midfielder to England international, Lescott from championship centreback to England international and then league winner, John Stones from Barnsley right back to England international. There’s loads of examples. Holgate is currently coming along well.

What I will say is that player development seems to have stalled somewhat since Moyes left with several good prospects not really kicking on as they should (Barkley Besic Deulofeu). I don’t think anyone can knock us though for player development. It’s an easy one to criticise, anyone who does become good you can just say were good anyway and anyone who doesn’t you can blame the club.

Loads of examples have been given - it sounds like you're defining player development as turd polishing and we all know that cannot be done. Asking for examples of someone pretty poor becoming a strong player is a very marginal viewpoint as that hardly happens anywhere [name me an example from another club?]. Even then we have an example of it with Coleman - he arrived as an athlete who couldn't play premiership football. Player development at prem level is all about taking good players and making them better.

Arteta was a technically excellent player from day one, yet he was let go from Rangers and couldn't get a game for Real Soceidad. In three years with us he was top 10% midfielder in the prem - how is that not development?

Laughin' when we publish our first Premier League match day squad including Martina, Williams, Schneiderlein and Bolasie.

We're actually going to have the same team as last year with may be one or two changes. Wow.

The way I see it atm, we have our starting XI, you line up one backup for each position and then you name one player for each position e.g. Hewelt, Martina, Mccarthy/vlasic and dcl.

That gives you 25 players and anyone who doesn't fit in that 25 needs to be sold or loaned dependant on age.

So atm

Pickford
Stek

Coleman Keane jagielka baines
Kenny Holgate Williams Robinson

Gueye Schneiderlin
Davies Besic

Walcott Siggurdsson richarlison
Bolasie Lookman Sandro

Tosun
Niasse
So that gives us our 22 atm (yes I know some will say some are higher in the pecking order etc.) so you add in the four I mentioned above and anyone else needs to be shipped out. Every time we buy someone e.g. Digne we need to look to ship out Robinson.

We just need buyers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back