Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Goats squad analysis thread 2018/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Early days yet, I mean Silva said he wanted to play 4-3-3, yet hes mostly played 4-2-3-1, not a massive difference between the 2 in fairness, but this isnt a tactical analysis thread, its a squad thread.

For this season we will probably mostly stick with the 4-2-3-1, at least until he can get a number 6 hes comfortable with.

Be interesting to see how we evolve in time tho, I mean hes got to try and fit Gomes and Iceland into a team yet, you would assume he would want both playing, maybe if Gomes is what I hope he is he might try the 4-3-3, with Iceland and Gomes as the 8s, maybe Gana as the 6.

But as I say early days and we do have options all over the pitch, I for 1 am very pleased with the squad make up, of course we could do with more quality in certain areas, but at least we have depth in some areas and when everybody is fit we should have people able to come off the bench to change games.

I remember Martinez favored a 4231 in defense that shifted to 343 in attack, with Barry holding deep (in part because he wasn't quick enough to join the attack and remain faithful to his defensive duties.)

The Silva 433* (or whatever the attack actually is) seems to be a 442 defensively, with Siggy and Tosun up top in the "Barry" role (press, but stay close to their attacking positions, since both are too slow of foot to rejoin the attack, and Silva needs them in position). The two wingers and two midfielders are a flurry of energy around these two "sitting" pressers in Tosun in Siggy.

Regarding Gomes, I can see him replacing Schneiderlin but then I guess we need to see what Silva does with the FB to guess what he'll do with the deep midfielder. Richarlison's energy is nice complement to Baines' craft (and I think he'll see a lot of action this year, before bowing out to Digne), but Seamus and Walcott still seem to be settling (although productive for a pair not yet settled)

All in all, it's interesting, albeit a discussion for a thread I can't be arsed to find.

I remember Martinez favored a 4231 in defense that shifted to 343 in attack, with Barry holding deep (in part because he wasn't quick enough to join the attack and remain faithful to his defensive duties.)

The Silva 433* (or whatever the attack actually is) seems to be a 442 defensively, with Siggy and Tosun up top in the "Barry" role (press, but stay close to their attacking positions, since both are too slow of foot to rejoin the attack, and Silva needs them in position). The two wingers and two midfielders are a flurry of energy around these two "sitting" pressers in Tosun in Siggy.

Regarding Gomes, I can see him replacing Schneiderlin but then I guess we need to see what Silva does with the FB to guess what he'll do with the deep midfielder. Richarlison's energy is nice complement to Baines' craft (and I think he'll see a lot of action this year, before bowing out to Digne), but Seamus and Walcott still seem to be settling (although productive for a pair not yet settled)

All in all, it's interesting, albeit a discussion for a thread I can't be arsed to find.

No its fine to discuss it in here, im sure as the season goes on I will be taking a closer look at things.

None of those players can replace Morgan.

I get that you dont like him, hell hes defo not my favourite player, but until hes replaced, he stays, Beni isnt a replacement, hes a young lad with potential, but until he proves it, hes not a first 11 player.

That might change in Jan, so we take a look then.

I see Beni as more of replacement for Gana than anything. Defo not in the Morgan role.

No its fine to discuss it in here, im sure as the season goes on I will be taking a closer look at things.

I've really said all I know, but I was thinking this morning how the business of the midfield 4 (2 wingers, 2 CM) in defense seems to favor a "static" (or "stay at home" to borrow Yank sport parlance) front 2 and "static" back 4. I think this works great for the highly skilled Baines, Tosun, and Sigurddson, each of who benefits from not have to leg it too much, but I don't know that it fits Coleman. I'll be interested to see if this gets "flipped" so that Coleman is aggressive and Walcott is crafty, but I'm not sure that fits these two any better. Or maybe Coleman can shift out of the RB but a CM drop deep and one of the CBs slide right to cover?

of course, something Silva seems to be doing is a lot of swapping too, so as long as players know their roles, they can swap between similar roles (or so it seems to me after two matches)

Anyway, what is seems to me is we have this defensive shape:

CF #10
(stay at home/press high) (stay at home/press high)

LM CM CM RM
(busy all directions in press) (holding/pressing) (busy all directions in press) (busy all directions in press)

LB CB CB RB

*Oh, well looked more sensible before it dropped formatting

I've really said all I know, but I was thinking this morning how the business of the midfield 4 (2 wingers, 2 CM) in defense seems to favor a "static" (or "stay at home" to borrow Yank sport parlance) front 2 and "static" back 4. I think this works great for the highly skilled Baines, Tosun, and Sigurddson, each of who benefits from not have to leg it too much, but I don't know that it fits Coleman. I'll be interested to see if this gets "flipped" so that Coleman is aggressive and Walcott is crafty, but I'm not sure that fits these two any better. Or maybe Coleman can shift out of the RB but a CM drop deep and one of the CBs slide right to cover?

of course, something Silva seems to be doing is a lot of swapping too, so as long as players know their roles, they can swap between similar roles (or so it seems to me after two matches)

Anyway, what is seems to me is we have this defensive shape:

CF #10
(stay at home/press high) (stay at home/press high)

LM CM CM RM
(busy all directions in press) (holding/pressing) (busy all directions in press) (busy all directions in press)

LB CB CB RB

*Oh, well looked more sensible before it dropped formatting

Agree with the swapping, it hasnt really "worked" yet as such, but it will no doubt.

Agree with the swapping, it hasnt really "worked" yet as such, but it will no doubt.

I'm terribly aroused by what I've seen so far, but we'll see if there's any stamina in the action when we take on a cold shower of away fixtures beginning next month at Arsenal

Everton Away:
Sep 23 Arsenal
Oct 6 Leicester
Oct 27 Manchester United
Nov 11 Chelsea
Dec 1 Them Lot
Dec 15 City

*sorry, that should read
23 Sep Arsenal
6 Oct Leicester
27 Oct United
11 Nov Chelsea
1 Dec Them Lot
15 Dec Guard of Honor for PL Champions

I'm terribly aroused by what I've seen so far, but we'll see if there's any stamina in the action when we take on a cold shower of away fixtures beginning next month at Arsenal

Everton Away:
Sep 23 Arsenal
Oct 6 Leicester
Oct 27 Manchester United
Nov 11 Chelsea
Dec 1 Them Lot
Dec 15 City

*sorry, that should read
23 Sep Arsenal
6 Oct Leicester
27 Oct United
11 Nov Chelsea
1 Dec Them Lot

Christ, thats some run of fixtures that.

Everton Away:
Sep 23 Arsenal
Oct 6 Leicester
Oct 27 Manchester United
Nov 11 Chelsea
Dec 1 Them Lot
Dec 15 City

*sorry, that should read
23 Sep Arsenal
6 Oct Leicester
27 Oct United
11 Nov Chelsea
1 Dec Them Lot

The first three games of that run not really that tricky. Would expect us to pick up points

The first three games of that run not really that tricky. Would expect us to pick up points

Arsenal are in transition and aren't good yet, but they aren't bad
Leicester aren't great but can be difficult at home
and hopefully Mourinho will have set all the charges and have the trigger in his hand, ready to detonate mid-October

But given how Everton have matched up against these in recent years, I'll assume nothing and take all the points that are given; more to the point, this stretch will test the squad, and Silva, and the melding of the two

You dont consider Arsenal and Utd away as tricky??????????

I'm chalking it up as 0 points in 6 matches myself, and will be happy with results, and if we grab more than 5 points I'll be quite satisfied

If we succeed against the likes of Soton, Bournemouth, and Huddersfield at home the people will be excited enough to think we can grab 12 or more in that stretch, which isn't happening

I'm more interested in seeing what Silva can do at home against these when the calendar turns

Arsenal are in transition and aren't good yet, but they aren't bad
Leicester aren't great but can be difficult at home
and hopefully Mourinho will have set all the charges and have the trigger in his hand, ready to detonate mid-October

But given how Everton have matched up against these in recent years, I'll assume nothing and take all the points that are given; more to the point, this stretch will test the squad, and Silva, and the melding of the two

Ye, of the three I think Arsenal is the toughest game. United look like they could be in freefall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back