Goats squad analysis thread 2024/5

I'd keep Lonners. He's basically a GK coach at this point and the soundest fella of all time. Tyrer will be on loan again and Big Shandys a better keeper than Crellin

Gana extended is a no-brainer
Does Coleman get extended for the squad ? No doubt he stays in some capacity.
DCL extend would be good

Danjuma is gone you'd think unless we come into some cash.
Dele for sure is gone.
Gomes ? well, we don't get much out of him do we ? Even on reduced wages.
Harrison....depends how much I guess, he has his moments and works hard.
Young for cheap squad filler ?

Would be good to move on and replace Maupay (modest value), Holgate (no value) and Keane (little value) but won't easy.

Just curious about some UA players who have been regularly linked to the senior squad, the likes of Tyler Onyango, Lewis Warrington and Mackenzie Hunt. What's the criteria? Not a critique, but looking to understand. Thanks!

Warrington & Hunt are out of contract this summer.

Manager : Sean Dyche

Goalkeepers (3)
Jordan Pickford (HG)
João Virgínia (HG)
Andy Lonergan (HG) *

Right Backs (3)

Séamus Coleman *
Nathan Patterson
Ashley Young (HG) *

Left Backs (1)

Vitaliy Mykolenko

Centre Backs (5)
James Tarkowski (HG)
Michael Keane (HG)
Ben Godfrey (HG)
Jarrad Branthwaite (UA)
Mason Holgate (HG)

Midfield (6)
Amadou Onana
James Garner (HG)
Idrissa Gueye *
Abdoulaye Doucouré
André Gomes *
Dele Alli (HG) *

Wide Forwards (4)

Dwight McNeil (HG)
Jack Harrison (HG) *
Arnaut Danjuma *
Lewis Dobbin (UA)

Strikers (4)
Dominic Calvert-Lewin (HG)
Youssef Chermiti (UA)
Beto
Neal Maupay

Total players: 26

Players purchased so far:

Players culled so far:

Non-HG players: 12
Home-grown players: 12
Underage players: 2

* = Contract or loan to expire
It looks a bit bleak really, and that’s before the mass exodus.

I think we’ll be so strapped for cash the likes of Coleman and Young will be getting new one year deals if they’ll sign them. Gana of course gets a new one.

That leaves Harrison, Danjuma, Dele, Gomes and Lonergan all to leave. We’d need two wingers and a centre mid to replace them ideally.

Unfortunately, I’d be amazed if we don’t sell both Branthwaite and Onana this summer. We’ve got to get the signings right, simply can’t afford any expensive flops.

Oh and Maupay and Holgate can both be fired out of a cannon, squeeze as much out of Brentford for Neal as we can.

Wages saved will be significant;
Gomes £120k
Dele £100k
Coleman £60k (maybe offer him 1 yr as player/coach but on hugely reduced terms, say £30k)
Onana £50k
Harrison £60k
Danjuma £60k
Doucoure is in the last year of his contract and was linked with Saudi teams last summer. I’d be inclined to sell him if they offered £10m or more. He’s apparently on £75k a week.

That frees up £500k a week, £26m a year. We should be able to raise a minimum of £65m for Maupay, Onana and Doucoure combined.

We would then be able to add to the squad. If Onana is sold before June 30th then we are in a better position to say to Branthwaite we want him to stay for 1 more season. New accounts start from July 1st, with new financial rules seemingly being based on spend/turnover. Whilst massively benefitting top 6 teams, this also helps Everton as new revenue starts to come in from the stadium move. If we can make some smart signings this summer ( I know, I know!), then we might finally be able to move forwards.

It looks a bit bleak really, and that’s before the mass exodus.

I think we’ll be so strapped for cash the likes of Coleman and Young will be getting new one year deals if they’ll sign them. Gana of course gets a new one.

That leaves Harrison, Danjuma, Dele, Gomes and Lonergan all to leave. We’d need two wingers and a centre mid to replace them ideally.

Unfortunately, I’d be amazed if we don’t sell both Branthwaite and Onana this summer. We’ve got to get the signings right, simply can’t afford any expensive flops.

Oh and Maupay and Holgate can both be fired out of a cannon, squeeze as much out of Brentford for Neal as we can.

There is no reason that Ashley Young should get a new deal at the age of 39. 39 year olds categorically cannot play Premier League football, even as “emergency backup” (he wouldn’t be, he’d play most games)

Same goes for Coleman who can no longer play 2 games of football without ending up injured. Both players would be a complete waste of a wage.

There is no reason that Ashley Young should get a new deal at the age of 39. 39 year olds categorically cannot play Premier League football, even as “emergency backup” (he wouldn’t be, he’d play most games)

Same goes for Coleman who can no longer play 2 games of football without ending up injured. Both players would be a complete waste of a wage.
Completely agree. I’ll be amazed if we let them both go though.

Wages saved will be significant;
Gomes £120k
Dele £100k
Coleman £60k (maybe offer him 1 yr as player/coach but on hugely reduced terms, say £30k)
Onana £50k
Harrison £60k
Danjuma £60k
Doucoure is in the last year of his contract and was linked with Saudi teams last summer. I’d be inclined to sell him if they offered £10m or more. He’s apparently on £75k a week.

That frees up £500k a week, £26m a year. We should be able to raise a minimum of £65m for Maupay, Onana and Doucoure combined.

We would then be able to add to the squad. If Onana is sold before June 30th then we are in a better position to say to Branthwaite we want him to stay for 1 more season. New accounts start from July 1st, with new financial rules seemingly being based on spend/turnover. Whilst massively benefitting top 6 teams, this also helps Everton as new revenue starts to come in from the stadium move. If we can make some smart signings this summer ( I know, I know!), then we might finally be able to move forwards.
I thought Doucoure was our top earner?

Either way, I agree that anyone with only 1 year left should either sign a new contract (if they are in the plans) or be sold off this summer. We can't let valuable players just leave the club without fetching a fee.

Players with 1 year left include:
Dom, Doucs, Godfrey, Keane, Dobbin, Virginia and Onyango.

Release:
Longeran
Young
Gomes
Alli

End of Loans:
Harrison
Danjuma

Sell:
Holgate
Maupay

Give Gueye a 1yr extension
Move Coleman into a coaching role

That leaves us needing:
Left Back
Right Back
Left Wing
Right Wing

With a distinct lack of pace and the inability to cross the ball to one of the best headers of the ball in the top flight (DCL) we need to look at getting players who can do this. The Championship is full of talent. As are the European second tier leagues.

Best of luck to Kevin Thelwell. This is a HUGE Transfer window as we need a squad to transition from our battlers to having a more fluid identity when it comes to transitioning from Def to Att and vice versa. Whether we go with Ball Retention or fast counters is dependant on who we can recruit. But we need a squad that will get us mid table, hopefully comfortably, and into the new Stadium where the draw of that alone should attract a better level of player again.

Release:
Longeran
Young
Gomes
Alli

End of Loans:
Harrison
Danjuma

Sell:
Holgate
Maupay

Give Gueye a 1yr extension
Move Coleman into a coaching role

That leaves us needing:
Left Back
Right Back
Left Wing
Right Wing

With a distinct lack of pace and the inability to cross the ball to one of the best headers of the ball in the top flight (DCL) we need to look at getting players who can do this. The Championship is full of talent. As are the European second tier leagues.

Best of luck to Kevin Thelwell. This is a HUGE Transfer window as we need a squad to transition from our battlers to having a more fluid identity when it comes to transitioning from Def to Att and vice versa. Whether we go with Ball Retention or fast counters is dependant on who we can recruit. But we need a squad that will get us mid table, hopefully comfortably, and into the new Stadium where the draw of that alone should attract a better level of player again.
If Onana leaves we also need some CMs, hell even if he doesnt we probably need a player there for sure.

So for me we need at least

1 RB
1 LB
1 CM
2 wide forwards

And thats even before we start addressing the potential gap in defence a potential JB sale would create.