Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Groucho's Fact Hunt

How did they find that out ?. Serious question
They looked at the VAR panel, and found the following facts...

1) Its decisions all go to the red team,
2) There are no moose on the panel.
3) This must be because moose can't see the colour red or there would be moose on the panel.

QED Ernest, QED.

or maybe back in the day some research biologist cut open an eye and looked at the different rods, cones etc and worked it out.

I go with the VAR explanation - much more likely.

How did they find that out ?. Serious question

These days is actually possible to determine colorvision status via a quick DNA test from shed hair, skin or any tissue that contains DNA. There are genes that make these light-sensitive proteins. Each light-sensitive protein is capable of picking up a particular wave of light: red, green, or blue. These light-sensitive proteins are found in the cells in the back of the retina called "cones." In humans we have all three genes, and thus three types of cones that detect red, green, and blue, respectively, and thus trichromatic ("normal" color) vision (though red-green colorblindness can occur, especially in males). Most mammals that are not primates, such as deer, squirrels, etc., do not have the genes to make all three light-sensitive proteins, so they are dichromatic--they have two of the three genes and thus only two types of cones in their retina, which pick up two colors, usually green and blue. Their dichromacy doesn't enable them to see a full palette of colors and especially red.

Sorry for the pedantry...my colleagues and I have worked on this exact question in lemurs regarding di- versus tri-chromacy, since it turns out that some lemurs are dichromatic and some are trichromatic even if they are members of the same species.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back