Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Group C: Slovenia, Denmark, Serbia, England

He’s good not great. What throws me off the most is why England needs to play with anymore more than Rice holding. You have more talent than everyone else you’re playing right now. Get an attacking mid on, let Jude play the 8 and go at these teams. Palmer not getting an actual go is criminal.
The issue is Rice isn't a pivot. He's just nowhere near good enough on the ball and his passing is very average. This means we can't play out from the back and teams swarm all over us whenever we try. We need to play Wharton or Mainoo in there (i.e. actual footballers that can turn and pick a pass).

England's Euros record. Not exactly stellar

• 2020 (Various): Runners-up
  • 2016 (France): Round of 16
  • 2012 (Poland/Ukraine): Quarter-finals
  • 2008 (Austria/Switzerland): Did not qualify
  • 2004 (Portugal): Quarter-finals
  • 2000 (Belgium/Netherlands): Group stage
  • 1996 (England): Semi-finals
  • 1992 (Sweden): Group stage
  • 1988 (Germany): Group stage
  • 1984 (France): Did not qualify
  • 1980 (Italy): Group stage
  • 1976 (Yugoslavia): Did not qualify
  • 1972 (Belgium): Did not qualify
  • 1968 (Italy) Third place
  • 1964 (Spain): Did not qualify
  • 1960 (France): Did not enter

I hope we see a different England tonight.

But I also think a lot of damage has already been done with the poor performances so far. Even if they turned it on tonight, those fundamental questions will remain and I would still expect them to come back to bite us in future games.

But I also think a lot of damage has already been done with the poor performances so far. Even if they turned it on tonight, those fundamental questions will remain and I would still expect them to come back to bite us in future games.

Not necessarily.

I'd counter than I'd rather have my bad games in the group, than in the knockouts, where there are no second chances.

Whilst we've been very poor, I do understand some logic, theae sides are sitting in and waiting to counter on us.
Southgate should be going all at it, even if they score 2, a full flowing England should outscore them.

I wouldn't expect too much variance here either. Slovenia are typically a low scoring side, well organised at the back with Drsik, Bijol & Oblak... but think alot will underestimate their attacking options, some handy players there Sesko, Sporar work well together.

Equally, England want to be considered the best; so beating Slovenia shouldn't be an issue, if it is... then you'll soon realise you're far from the best.

Imagine picking 2 defensive midfielders against Slovenia? lol. And it is Gallagher rather than mainoo or Wharton, lol. Already through to the last 16, a chance to add an attacking midfielder in beside rice, or put bellingham beside him. Let foden sit behind Kane/watkins and bring Gordon in on the left. Then give palmer a go on the right after an hour and hook saka. Try and get the confidence going with a 3-0 win.

But mr negative Southgate plays it safe again. The man is a major bellend.

Imagine picking 2 defensive midfielders against Slovenia? lol. And it is Gallagher rather than mainoo or Wharton, lol. Already through to the last 16, a chance to add an attacking midfielder in beside rice, or put bellingham beside him. Let foden sit behind Kane/watkins and bring Gordon in on the left. Then give palmer a go on the right after an hour and hook saka. Try and get the confidence going with a 3-0 win.

But mr negative Southgate plays it safe again. The man is a major bellend.
Would've liked to see Wharton start

England's Euros record. Not exactly stellar

• 2020 (Various): Runners-up
  • 2016 (France): Round of 16
  • 2012 (Poland/Ukraine): Quarter-finals
  • 2008 (Austria/Switzerland): Did not qualify
  • 2004 (Portugal): Quarter-finals
  • 2000 (Belgium/Netherlands): Group stage
  • 1996 (England): Semi-finals
  • 1992 (Sweden): Group stage
  • 1988 (Germany): Group stage
  • 1984 (France): Did not qualify
  • 1980 (Italy): Group stage
  • 1976 (Yugoslavia): Did not qualify
  • 1972 (Belgium): Did not qualify
  • 1968 (Italy) Third place
  • 1964 (Spain): Did not qualify
  • 1960 (France): Did not enter
It's why some of us - English people included, I think - are bemused when England think their peers are Germany, Spain, France, and Italy. All of those nations have won the European Championship three times (Germany and Spain) or twice (the other two). They have also won 11 World Cups between them and been in countless finals (Germany alone have been in another four World Cup finals and three Euro finals).

England are rivals to these countries in much the same way Christine Bleakley is rivals with Oprah.*

*courtesy Marina Hyde.

True, but things can change in tournaments, and every side left is flawed in one way or another.

The tournament only starts at the weekend. I wouldn't write England off. Nobody need fear the Dutch or the winner of Italy/Switzerland - though both of those potential England knockout matches could go either way.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back