• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Group C: Slovenia, Denmark, Serbia, England

I think it depends on the draw. I think until the semi finals there is no one England couldn't beat with that back 4 if the draw pans out as expected (which it admittedly rarely does)

Trippier
I mean it's not just that, it's the fact that you're relying on midfielders/strikers to never have an off day, which also doesn't happen for anyone.

England should probably walk this but they're not bringing the most optimal overall team - forwards are great obviously, but defensively it falls apart.

I also want them to go out in a way that is emotionally painful - maybe penalties again, hopefully before the final though.

I mean it's not just that, it's the fact that you're relying on midfielders/strikers to never have an off day, which also doesn't happen for anyone.

England should probably walk this but they're not bringing the most optimal overall team - forwards are great obviously, but defensively it falls apart.

I also want them to go out in a way that is emotionally painful - maybe penalties again, hopefully before the final though.
Haha I don't know, I really don't think it's that bad, not top class though obviously. Guehi is a good player, still young and probably on the verge of a big move. Konsa I thought has played well in his limited caps for England. Did well against Belgium especially I thought. Unknown quantities though at this level. Looks like Stones will play though anyway.

Would It not make much more sense if Southgate called up Tarky and Branthwaite and played them in front of Pickford. Surely a stable defence like that is miles better than playing a new completely untested partnership. And tarky and Branthwaite are surely the same at level at worst as the likes of guehi and konsa both of which played in teams who conceded more goals last season

He was so embarrassingly bad this season for Newcastle. Personally think Shaw will start if he’s anywhere near capable of running.
Yeah I think that's the plan. They currently expect Shaw to be able to have some involvement in the Denmark game. Hopefully he's ready to start for the KO phase. Bit of a gamble though

They've both played there in the past. But what the hell play them as centre backs
I mean they have, TAA's had more success, but it's not their strong positions at all and for the same defensive reasons. If you're chasing a game - sure, lash them on to run at people, but otherwise it's even less defensive security.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back