• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Group C: Slovenia, Denmark, Serbia, England

You need pace to win games.
I would agree if it wasn't for how Southgate sets up, nobody is allowed to run with the ball and the first option for a pass must always be backwards and sideways. It's very slow going. Neither of them make the starting eleven anyway, but I'd have Grealish come on and win free kicks in dangerous areas late in the game.

Hard to see who’d make the best partner for Stones, maybe Guehi as I think Dunk or Konsa could be error prone in big situations.
Branthwaite. But of those taken, has to be Guehi. Konsa only makes sense to me to take as emergency RB cover but he’s already got Walker, Gomez, and Trippier. Dunk is going to be a liability if he plays.

This could be like Euro 2000, where England are great in attack but go home very early because of defensive issues.

This squad is so unbalanced, it's unreal. A silly amount of forwards, most of whom won't get game time, and defenders who offer calamity and inexperience Stones will rightly be our number one centre back, but he has limited game time this season. To leave out Branthwaite (clearly a star in the making who has had a brilliant season, been instrumental in one of the PL's best defences, and is capable of scoring goals) and take someone like Dunk who has blatantly cost England goals on multiple occasions is just objectively wrong.

And as for Grealish not going - he's a proven player at international level and literally set up a goal in his last appearance. That overrides his lack of game time, considering players like Watkins, who has done nothing to show he can cut it at this level is straight in the squad.

Oh aye mate, the whole ingerlund thing does my swede in.

I’m still amazed by waistcoat and his selection/omission of Branthwaite.

We are all upset so we need to be careful here we aren't jumping to any conclusions and just ripping into Southgate for little to no reason. I'm sure there are reasons, we just need to try to see things from Gareth's point of view, calmly without resorting to insults or put downs.

2 hours later...

I still can't stick my head that far up my ass to see it how he has. :hayee:

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back