• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Group F: Turkey, Georgia, Portugal, Czech Republic

But to be fair to Bob Martin, the selection (minus Ronaldo) was very much spot on - it seemed like it would be too many offensive players but they'd clearly prepared to be on top from the start. Shame about the mind numbing football with such a talented squad.

We're the Czech Republic, Slovakia is Slovakia... none of this Czechia, Slovak Republic mess. Have to say, it was our first president and all around legendary good guy Havel who designated us Czechia with the UN and stuff.

But, you know, change scary.
To us it's always been Czechia (Чехия), but we don't really say "Republic (of)" in general or common use - realistically we're also Republic of Bulgaria but it's usually left out.

We usually use it for basically specifying what the government type is, at least to my knowledge, commonly - like we just say North Korea, not the full DPRK and stuff like that, unless it's some official document or use case.

We're the Czech Republic, Slovakia is Slovakia... none of this Czechia, Slovak Republic mess. Have to say, it was our first president and all around legendary good guy Havel who designated us Czechia with the UN and stuff.

But, you know, change scary.

To us it's always been Czechia (Чехия), but we don't really say "Republic (of)" in general or common use - realistically we're also Republic of Bulgaria but it's usually left out.

We usually use it for basically specifying what the government type is, at least to my knowledge, commonly - like we just say North Korea, not the full DPRK and stuff like that, unless it's some official document or use case.
I tend to use 'the Republic of Great Britain' in certain circles. It gets a fantastic reaction and the occasional outburst of racist paranoia.

Well, he's got a 39 year old and 41 year old in the team. Both are crucial to Portugal but could suffer in a 3 week tournament playing so many games.
Well, he has the most talent of any side except maybe France. He’s choosing to rely on those players, and as manager it’s his job to not over burden them. Every team has challenges, and talent wise, Portugal are one of the two most fortunate in the tournament.

Well, he has the most talent of any side except maybe France. He’s choosing to rely on those players, and as manager it’s his job to not over burden them. Every team has challenges, and talent wise, Portugal are one of the two most fortunate in the tournament.
That's not true.

They have talent in the squad but no more than England, Spain, France, Germany and probably Italy.

You’re lying to yourself now. Be confident in your boy Dave. He might not mess it up.
I dont think anyone EXPECTS Portugal to win it.

They're 4th favourites.

After watching Ronaldo last night, I don't think he'll hand them a big threat. He looks like he can get to a chance created for him but the zip from his head and boots isn't there anymore.

A serious manager looking to the present as well as the future would have retired Ronaldo and Pepe. But Roberto is not a serious manager...

He'll end up the scapegoat himself when this inevitably goes nipples up.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back