Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly, some good points at the start but very clearly bias exaggerated opinion towards the end.

Everybody is bias, but at least I logically explain myself and also provide facts, statistics & video's.

Siggy is the only premiere league player that can stop Salah? He can play as well as a centerback? Incredible

I said ''the only Playmaker.'' Not player.

Gylfi is not strong or fast enough to defend as well as a CB. I said that he can defend as well as a PL fullback.

But for Swansea he was better defensively than both Olsson & Naughton, and now he is currently better defensively than Martina.

Can KDB/Coutinho/Eriksen/Ozil/Fabregas/etc defend nearly as well as Sigurdsson? No.

Not even Barkley defends as well as Sigurdsson, which I find incredible.

At this stage last season, Barkley only had 12 tackles & interceptions for Everton in the PL.

Sigurdsson has 50 tackles & interceptions so far in the PL. 10 more than what Barkley finished 16/17 with.

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion. I've watched KDB very closely & he does a few things better.

But I find it laughable to consider him an ''overall better player'' than Gylfi

You'll struggle to find anybody better than Gylfi at free kicks, corners, penalties or set pieces in general.

You'll struggle to find anybody throughout history with a better weak foot, long distance shooting, crossing or passing.

You'll struggle to find a Playmaker throughout history capable of playing as many positions or roles.

Gylfi is injury free, doesn't dive into tackles, and rarely gets seriously fouled.

KDB is an incredible player, but he relies on pace & power. What will happen to him when he loses it in 3-5 years?

Gylfi is already 28 years old and is still improving every single day. You cant say the same about the other Playmakers.

KDB/Eriksen/Coutinho and other smaller players heavily rely on pace.

They will not age nearly as well, nor will they continue to improve around Sigurdsson's age.

Laudrup & Zidane are perfect examples of players that continued to improve by age.

They were better players at 35-36 years old than what they were at 28-29. I think the same will happen to Sigurdsson.

Smaller players that heavily rely on physical attributes will rarely improve with age.

See Michael Owen or even Wayne Rooney today. Players that are shadows of their former selves after losing their pace.

Eriksen is already fading. He is much slower than what he used to be, he doesn't impress me nearly as much as he did earlier in his career.

He might be better defensively & a little stronger now, but he is now slower, less creative & much more predictable.
I honestly can't tell if this is a wind up or not so this is my last response but to suggest KDB relies on pace/power and not technique is just laughable really. One of the best technical players around on either foot.

I've watched Eriksen since he was 17 playing for Denmark & Ajax's youth team.

I've watched Gylfi since he was 18-19 playing for Iceland & Reading's youth team.

They're very similar players.

Both footed Scandinavian Playmakers capable of playing in the middle or the wings = Not the same at all?

Eriksen is faster in acceleration, Gylfi is faster in full sprint.

Gylfi is stronger, but Eriksen is harder to get the ball off of.

They're both good on their left, but Gylfi's is on a completely different level.

Eriksen can shoot, cross & pass faster.

Gylfi can shoot, cross & pass better.

Eriksen might be good on his left, but he cant cross, shoot or pass nearly as well as Sigurdsson's.

People also like to point out that Sigurdsson is a ''set piece merchant'' but fail to acknowledge that 6 of Eriksen's last 7 assists in 2016/17 were all from set pieces.

Eriksen only registered 1 open play assist in the last 16 apps of 16/17.

They're clearly a lot more similar than people suggest. As an outright winger I would prefer Eriksen, as an overall player I will always prefer Sigurdsson.

Set pieces, heading, defensively, both feet, positions/roles, Sigurdsson offers things that Eriksen & most Playmakers never will.

Do you even watch Spurs? Do you know any Spurs fans? Tell them this and they will laugh in your face.

Eriksen is absolutely not key to the way Spurs retain the ball, and he does not spread the ball all over the pitch.

Eriksen doesn't win back possession or ''release'' players with his passes. He makes simple back passes to the keeper/back 4/DM's and lets them do the rest.

I made a highlight video of every single assist Eriksen registered last season, and you will be incredibly surprised over how many of them are ''tom carroll assists''

Kane/Son/Alli individually create most of Spurs goals.

Spurs beat Leicester 6-1 last season WITHOUT Eriksen.

They obviously don't rely him to create chances, retain possession or spreading the ball.

Passes per assist/chance is the most accurate assessment regarding the efficiency of a player.

The whole point of playing more matches & more minutes rather being benched is because you get more passes per match.

When you're on the bench you cant create chances/assists because you're getting less passes per match.

So obviously having more passes & creating less chances is a negative trait.

Gylfi averages 24 passes per match this season, 27 passes last season & 35-37 in seasons prior.

Eriksen averages 48-55 passes per match, giving him literally twice as many chances to contribute with vastly better team mates.

Thus, pass for pass Gylfi is on a completely different level.

Eriksen has 3 more assists with 2350 more passes. Gylfi would've created 18-20 assists with that amount.

Regarding the ''moving the ball around the field'' Have you ever seen Gylfi play for Iceland or even Swansea? His distribution & ability to spread the ball around the pitch is on another level IMO.

KDB is a great player, but is far from being flawless. As an overall player I would not prefer him over Gylfi.

However, he is the only player in my excel spreadsheet to beat Gylfi on passes per chance/assist.

fG20CawHTCiAMrbKgm9Okw.png

KDB had 43.6% more passes last season, so he had a lot more chances to create while Sigurdsson was forced to defend. Not to mention that Gylfi was playing out of position, exactly like he is doing now.

I don't think any Playmaker in the world besides Gylfi could've saved Swansea last season, or could save them right now.

KDB is a great player, but how well would he do alongside Nathan Dyer & Wayne Routledge?

How well would Sigurdsson do alongside Sane & Sterling? Or Mane/Salah? I think he would do much better.

He isn't a ''Coutinho'' or a KDB is the sense that he will dribble past players.

But there is no a chance in hell those players can shoot, cross or pass like Sigurdsson. Both feet.

You people LOVE to criticize how slow Gylfi is, but you completely fail to acknowledge what he can do that those players cant.

Gylfi is slower, yes. But miles better than those players at heading, tackling, intercepting, man marking, being an extra body in the box.

Name a single Playmaker that could've shutdown Salah like Gylfi did?

The only moment Salah had in the derby was when Gylfi didn't mark him. Every other moment in the match Gylfi had him in his pocket.

Gylfi can play ST/CF/LW/RW/AM/CM/DM & defend as well as a fullback. That's pretty good for a weak/slow player.

He more than makes up for his lack of speed with his overall ability. I find it hilarious that some of you claim Eriksen is ''overall'' better when there probably has never existed a single player capable of shooting, crossing or passing on both feet as well as Sigurdsson.

Then you add on his defensive ability, his penalties, corners, free kicks & set pieces. His variety of roles & positions, lack of injuries, high football IQ.. It's a mismatch.

One failed backheel, and maybe 2-3 bad set pieces at best?

Be great if you could just summarise that into a paragraph mate

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion. I've watched KDB very closely & he does a few things better.

But I find it laughable to consider him an ''overall better player'' than Gylfi

You'll struggle to find anybody better than Gylfi at free kicks, corners, penalties or set pieces in general.

You'll struggle to find anybody throughout history with a better weak foot, long distance shooting, crossing or passing.

You'll struggle to find a Playmaker throughout history capable of playing as many positions or roles.

Gylfi is injury free, doesn't dive into tackles, and rarely gets seriously fouled.

KDB is an incredible player, but he relies on pace & power. What will happen to him when he loses it in 3-5 years?

Gylfi is already 28 years old and is still improving every single day. You cant say the same about the other Playmakers.

KDB/Eriksen/Coutinho and other smaller players heavily rely on pace.

They will not age nearly as well, nor will they continue to improve around Sigurdsson's age.

Laudrup & Zidane are perfect examples of players that continued to improve by age.

They were better players at 35-36 years old than what they were at 28-29. I think the same will happen to Sigurdsson.

Smaller players that heavily rely on physical attributes will rarely improve with age.

See Michael Owen or even Wayne Rooney today. Players that are shadows of their former selves after losing their pace.

Eriksen is already fading. He is much slower than what he used to be, he doesn't impress me nearly as much as he did earlier in his career.

He might be better defensively & a little stronger now, but he is now slower, less creative & much more predictable.

And here we have previously banned nutjob @SiggyTheBlue who once claimed sigurdson was better than messi

I've watched Gylfi since he was 18-19 playing for Iceland & Reading's youth team.

Both footed Scandinavian Playmakers capable of playing in the middle or the wings = Not the same at all?

They're both good on their left, but Gylfi's is on a completely different level.

Eriksen might be good on his left, but he cant cross, shoot or pass nearly as well as Sigurdsson's.

People also like to point out that Sigurdsson is a ''set piece merchant'' but fail to acknowledge that 6 of Eriksen's last 7 assists in 2016/17 were all from set pieces.

They're clearly a lot more similar than people suggest. As an outright winger I would prefer Eriksen, as an overall player I will always prefer Sigurdsson.

Set pieces, heading, defensively, both feet, positions/roles, Sigurdsson offers things that Eriksen & most Playmakers never will.

Do you even watch Spurs? Do you know any Spurs fans? Tell them this and they will laugh in your face.

Eriksen is absolutely not key to the way Spurs retain the ball, and he does not spread the ball all over the pitch.

Eriksen doesn't win back possession or ''release'' players with his passes. He makes simple back passes to the keeper/back 4/DM's and lets them do the rest.

I made a highlight video of every single assist Eriksen registered last season, and you will be incredibly surprised over how many of them are ''tom carroll assists''

They obviously don't rely him to create chances, retain possession or spreading the ball.

Passes per assist/chance is the most accurate assessment regarding the efficiency of a player.

The whole point of playing more matches & more minutes rather being benched is because you get more passes per match.

When you're on the bench you cant create chances/assists because you're getting less passes per match.

Gylfi averages 24 passes per match this season, 27 passes last season & 35-37 in seasons prior.

Eriksen averages 48-55 passes per match, giving him literally twice as many chances to contribute with vastly better team mates.

Eriksen has 3 more assists with 2350 more passes. Gylfi would've created 18-20 assists with that amount.

Regarding the ''moving the ball around the field'' Have you ever seen Gylfi play for Iceland or even Swansea? His distribution & ability to spread the ball around the pitch is on another level IMO.

KDB is a great player, but is far from being flawless. As an overall player I would not prefer him over Gylfi.

However, he is the only player in my excel spreadsheet to beat Gylfi on passes per chance/assist.

KDB had 43.6% more passes last season, so he had a lot more chances to create while Sigurdsson was forced to defend. Not to mention that Gylfi was playing out of position, exactly like he is doing now.

I don't think any Playmaker in the world besides Gylfi could've saved Swansea last season, or could save them right now.

KDB is a great player, but how well would he do alongside Nathan Dyer & Wayne Routledge?

How well would Sigurdsson do alongside Sane & Sterling? Or Mane/Salah? I think he would do much better.

He isn't a ''Coutinho'' or a KDB is the sense that he will dribble past players.

But there is no a chance in hell those players can shoot, cross or pass like Sigurdsson. Both feet.

You people LOVE to criticize how slow Gylfi is, but you completely fail to acknowledge what he can do that those players cant.

Gylfi is slower, yes. But miles better than those players at heading, tackling, intercepting, man marking, being an extra body in the box.

The only moment Salah had in the derby was when Gylfi didn't mark him. Every other moment in the match Gylfi had him in his pocket.

Gylfi can play ST/CF/LW/RW/AM/CM/DM & defend as well as a fullback. That's pretty good for a weak/slow player.

He more than makes up for his lack of speed with his overall ability. I find it hilarious that some of you claim Eriksen is ''overall'' better when there probably has never existed a single player capable of shooting, crossing or passing on both feet as well as Sigurdsson.

Then you add on his defensive ability, his penalties, corners, free kicks & set pieces. His variety of roles & positions, lack of injuries, high football IQ.. It's a mismatch.

Deranged

Didn’t he run the furthest in the prem last season?

Saw some stat saying he ran most distance of any player last season in the league mate - helped he played every minute ofc for Swansea - per 90 his rate was still very high on the list though

...that wouldn’t surprise me at all based on the ground he covered on Monday. Amazing how he just appears in the box time and time again. Be good to see him smash in his first free kick, preferably in the 3rd round FA Cup tie.

Don't even know where to start with this mate, so I'll leave you to it.

LOL @Connor look who it is, our old Twitter mate

He's one of the worst signings we've ever made mate.

I hope we sell him to Barca in Jan.

Errrrrrr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back