Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why aren’t we building the side around our best player?
giphy.gif

;)

You think Sigurdsson is our best (midfield/attacking) player?

He clearly is mate, IF he is played in the best position for him and we don't try shoehorning him in as left back cover for 80+ minutes.

Every single one of his good games - or periods in games, has come when he's been allowed to come central and with Rooney off the field or playing positioned as a deep midfielder.

We as a club have a really good habit of playing players out of position just to accommodate other players, and we have a great record now too of playing players who actually help destroy each others game - rather than play players who compliment each others game

Yeh. Please don’t say someone like Lookman, it’s all potential at the minute not output.

Look(man) mate, I think when you look at the midfield and forwards then you can pick a few regulars out;

Gana - positional sense, not great and cant pass.
McCarthy - Good positioning, great tacking, ok passing (usually) but balsa wood
Bolasie - Puppet on a string...useless at everything.
Lennon - defensive winger
DCL/Lookman/Vlasic - 'Potentially' our best players in the coming years
Rooney - Too old now to play against the top sides...would be decent off the bench or against bottom half sides

So, I think we actually need to sell most of our midfield and attack...

This is a left field comment but I wouldn't mind seeing Sigurdsson as the box to box player in the centre...he can pass, tackle and put in the yards...

He'd be 1st name on the team sheet for me in that position.

He's not amazing on the left...hasn't got the playmaking skill or the tricks to be number 10...box to box for me.

Look(man) mate, I think when you look at the midfield and forwards then you can pick a few regulars out;

Gana - positional sense, not great and cant pass.
McCarthy - Good positioning, great tacking, ok passing (usually) but balsa wood
Bolasie - Puppet on a string...useless at everything.
Lennon - defensive winger
DCL/Lookman/Vlasic - 'Potentially' our best players in the coming years
Rooney - Too old now to play against the top sides...would be decent off the bench or against bottom half sides

So, I think we actually need to sell most of our midfield and attack...

This is a left field comment but I wouldn't mind seeing Sigurdsson as the box to box player in the centre...he can pass, tackle and put in the yards...

He'd be 1st name on the team sheet for me in that position.

He's not amazing on the left...hasn't got the playmaking skill or the tricks to be number 10...box to box for me.

I haven’t the energy to read all that - are you agreeing or disagreeing he’s our best player?

He clearly is mate, IF he is played in the best position for him and we don't try shoehorning him in as left back cover for 80+ minutes.

Every single one of his good games - or periods in games, has come when he's been allowed to come central and with Rooney off the field or playing positioned as a deep midfielder.

We as a club have a really good habit of playing players out of position just to accommodate other players, and we have a great record now too of playing players who actually help destroy each others game - rather than play players who compliment each others game

Its obvious he's the best player of the forward bunch...

But see my last comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back