2017/18 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because the form of his life came from outside left with Swansea last year. When he struggles, it's not down to his position in my opinion. It's a combination of him just not playing well and the team struggling overall.

Agreed, and also having to spend most of his time tracking back to cover for the liability of a right back currently being picked at left back! Even (!!!) at Swansea he didn't have to do that - he spent most of his time in the top half of the pitch where he is most effective!

Agreed, and also having to spend most of his time tracking back to cover for the liability of a right back currently being picked at left back! Even (!!!) at Swansea he didn't have to do that - he spent most of his time in the top half of the pitch where he is most effective!

This. He isn't a player who runs games in midfield.

He's quality in the final third. He tracks back and works hard but that doesn't mean he should be playing as a left back which he has had to do for most of the season defensively.

If Walcott comes in, it's imperative that we start to play with two wingers - simply to stretch the game a bit. Get Gylfi in between them and then tbh I couldn't really care less who plays behind him as they're all as crap as each other.

'A few times' being key here, he is in a new team that are playing terribly. IMO if you play him as our number 1 AM with positive players ahead of him, we will get the most out of him. He will have more space due to the movement ahead and will be able to influence the game more than what he is now. He is obviously a high quality player, look at the goals he scores and what he offers for Iceland and what he did last season at Swansea. He is practically playing as a LH DM at the minute with arguably our worst player behind him.

For me a top quality player should be able to show that quality wherever they play, he's scored the odd good goal, his set-pieces (something he is supposed to be boss at) are inconsistent.

At the end of the day he is supposed to be our main player, the player who should be making us tick, the problem, he goes hiding.

He's played a fair few games for us now, and I'm still waiting to see this 'top quality' player, apart from the odd good goal, I've yet to say to myself after a game watching him "how boss was Sigurdsson then"

Last edited:
For me a top quality player should be able to show that quality wherever they play, he's scored the odd good goal, his set-pieces (something he is supposed to be boss at) are inconsistent.

At the end of the day he is supposed to be our main player, the player who should be making us tick, the problem, he goes hiding.

He's an AM playing LM in a defensive role, by your logic, if Utd buy Sanchez they should be able to play him LB and still expect him to be their best player. Our problem is we already have too many players out of position and it's all down our left side, the team has no balance. You can't expect a player to be able to operate as a playmaker from a defensive position in a poor team, that's why it's not working.

He's played a fair few games for us now, and I'm still waiting to see this 'top quality' player, apart from the odd good goal, I've yet to say to myself after a game watching him "how boss was Sigurdsson then"

If you ever played some team sport on competetive level you should know if your team is a crap and play like a crap, you can't be magician and turn it to a fairytale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back