Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's an AM playing LM in a defensive role, by your logic, if Utd buy Sanchez they should be able to play him LB and still expect him to be their best player. Our problem is we already have too many players out of position and it's all down our left side, the team has no balance. You can't expect a player to be able to operate as a playmaker from a defensive position in a poor team, that's why it's not working.

But he hasn't always played from a defensive position for us, he has played the majority of his games for us in an attacking role, whether in the middle, or coming in from the left, and it's all about opinions, but I'm still yet to see this 'top quality' player.

If you ever played some team sport on competetive level you should know if your team is a crap and play like a crap, you can't be magician and turn it to a fairytale

I played footy at a decent level, and in the few teams I played for there was always a player who stood out, made the team tick when we weren't playing well, took the game by the scruff of the neck, now those players did have bad games now and again, but the majority of the time they were always up for it. The problem with Sigurdsson is that when things aren't going well, he hides.

At the end of the day it's all about opinions, and I'll say it again, I'm still yet to see this top quality player.

But he hasn't always played from a defensive position for us, he has played the majority of his games for us in an attacking role, whether in the middle, or coming in from the left, and it's all about opinions, but I'm still yet to see this 'top quality' player.

I'd say he has spent more of his time with us in our half than he has in the opposition half, we will never know just how good he can be unless a manager comes in and plays him in his actual position. We must be the only team in the league who can sign a attacking central player for that much and play them out wide.

I'm just hoping that someone does give him that chance as I believe our performances will increase if we do. I agree that he isn't influential the way we play now, so he does look an average player. I think most players in that situation would though.

He’s a top quality premier league midfielder who gets goals at this and also international level.

Some of you are absolutely mental.

It's unreal. Someone seriously suggested playing Dowell instead of him. That's a 20 year old kid who's the 5th highest rated player on the 15th best team (actually worse on GD) in the Championship that hasn't won a game in the league since early December. There are simply no words. You'd think he never played before he came here. You'd think he never scored against the big 6. But seriously, that country of 330K people that kicked England's butt out of the Euros would've been better off with Kieran Dowell leading it instead. No question.

Opinons are fine, but Sigurdsson opinions are the worst. He can't score, he can't set guys up, he doesn't hustle, all stuff that can objectively be proven wrong, but...uh...he was 45M and he doesn't hold the ball like Ross Barkley, who has since turned into Gareth Bale flying down the pitch scoring for fun. It's a joke.

But my eyes tell me different. This is literally moneyball right before our eyes. It's the scene with the scouts chewing tobacco in the conference room all over again. The dude is class. He works his tail off. We'd be in the drop without him.

He's one of those players who can produce moments of brilliance, and he already has at Everton. You pay premiums for that alone.

I played footy at a decent level, and in the few teams I played for there was always a player who stood out, made the team tick when we weren't playing well, took the game by the scruff of the neck, now those players did have bad games now and again, but the majority of the time they were always up for it. The problem with Sigurdsson is that when things aren't going well, he hides.

At the end of the day it's all about opinions, and I'll say it again, I'm still yet to see this top quality player.
I agree he to often fall in shade if things don't go right, but in these circumstances and with Faty game opinions you will have to wait to see best of him

For me a top quality player should be able to show that quality wherever they play, he's scored the odd good goal, his set-pieces (something he is supposed to be boss at) are inconsistent.

At the end of the day he is supposed to be our main player, the player who should be making us tick, the problem, he goes hiding.

He's played a fair few games for us now, and I'm still waiting to see this 'top quality' player, apart from the odd good goal, I've yet to say to myself after a game watching him "how boss was Sigurdsson then"

With the best will in the world though that's simply not true though is it? Hopefully we aren't buying Walcott to play left back, we didn't buy Pickford to play centre forward etc etc! He was bought, you would hope (?) to do what he did for Swansea and does for Iceland, not spend most of his time tracking back to protect a dodgy (at best) right back currently masquerading as a left back. According to the statistics, and I accept there are lies damn lies and statistics, he pretty much consistently covers more ground than any other player in the team largely due to the spaces left when said RB come LB goes AWOL or concedes possession!

With the best will in the world though that's simply not true though is it? Hopefully we aren't buying Walcott to play left back, we didn't buy Pickford to play centre forward etc etc! He was bought, you would hope (?) to do what he did for Swansea and does for Iceland, not spend most of his time tracking back to protect a dodgy right back. According to the statistics, and I accept there are lies damn lies and statistics, he pretty much consistently covers more ground than any other player in the team largely due to the spaces left when said RB come LB goes AWOL or concedes possession!

Obviously I should have made it more clear, I meant it more as being able to show that quality in the forward positions (obviously not as a defender etc) also, everyone seems to be going on as if all season he's been playing this defensive role, tracking back to cover a dodgy right-back playing at left-back, he hasn't, he's had plenty of games playing more of an attacking position, he's also played games through the middle, and I'm still yet to see this top quality player.

I'm still of the belief that he and Rooney shouldn't be on the same pitch together unless Rooney is played deep with only one defensive midfield partner. We have to bring in players that can keep possession and get about the pitch. Bolasie (while effective at times) is more of an outlet to relieve pressure than a player that will help you maintain the ball. Drop Rooney when we need more steel in the middle of the park. Play him when we can get away with one defensive midfielder. Sigurdsson shouldn't play every game either, but I don't see him being dropped ffs.

I'm still of the belief that he and Rooney shouldn't be on the same pitch together unless Rooney is played deep with only one defensive midfield partner. We have to bring in players that can keep possession and get about the pitch. Bolasie (while effective at times) is more of an outlet to relieve pressure than a player that will help you maintain the ball. Drop Rooney when we need more steel in the middle of the park. Play him when we can get away with one defensive midfielder. Sigurdsson shouldn't play every game either, but I don't see him being dropped ffs.

Would've been cover for Barkley if he'd stayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back