Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Only people praising him are those with an agenda against Rooney, good player but the reality is he's been absolute chobb
To be fair so have most of the team.

I'm all for the lad, he'll be a good player and I've certainly got no anti-Rooney agenda.

I'd like to see the squad used correctly, and not see Koeman try to cram all the players he likes into the side regardless of balance.

Sigurdsson is genuinely a very, very good player. That hasn't disappeared overnight.

However, he's playing slightly out of position with the wrong personnel around him. He's not a Ross Barkley - he doesn't naturally improve everyone around him because he's not that type of player.

He has been brought into a side that is built to play the exact opposite way he needs to get the best out of him. He needed a Giroud - someone to hit with a quick ball, hold play and give clever return balls to advance him up the pitch with his face to goal to pick out runners, or dive into spaces and shoot from the edge of the box.

He's not a player who can come deep and carry the game, like Barkley can. As such, there's a gaping hole between the very deep Schneiderlin and Gana and the abundance of "number tens" on the edge of the box - Rooney is dropping into that gap instead of a player naturally owning that space, like Barkley would.

As such, Sigurdsson is constantly in no man's land. So that's the excuse and valid reason he's been terrible. But he's also meant to be a £45m player now, and for that money you want a player who grabs the game by the scruff of the neck and makes the game his. Rooney, at the very least, is trying to do that every week - Sigurdsson isn't.

We overpaid. He's a very good player, but we overpaid. He was always going to be a downgrade on Barkley, but the circumstances have made that even more true.

Ross Barkley isn't in Siggy's league. The last thing we need is Ross on the ball for 45 minutes 50 yards from goal messing around with it. Bad enough that we've got the ball 30 yards from the goal and we are producing nothing.

Now if Ross would ever play farther up the pitch...

Regardless, think it was obvious last night that Sigurdsson was our primary creative threat, just had too few opportunities. Free kicks were dangerous, corners the same, but there is no one there to finish. Had a few mediocre touches in the first half. His one touch pass to spring Vlasic was lovely, but his opportunities to provide the same were limited by the lack of movement of others as well as the lack of a true CF.

He's far from the issue, though.

We looked our best when Rooney was playing wide left ironically as he was out of the way from everyone else in the middle.

My guess is that we'll see Rooney on the bench an a very different Sigurdsson Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back