Transfer Rumour Harry Winks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great isn’t it when we can’t get rid of our dross but spurs want £20M for theirs and buy our best player for 50? I know our hands are tied financially but come on Everton stop acting like we’re definitely relegated this season.
I'd like to know who the driving force behind this is.

Assessment from a Spurs fan:

"Spurs fan here - watch every Spurs match and go to a fair share, so I thought I'd give my opinion on Winks in case anybody is interested.

Winks can be frustrating because he does have a lot of the attributes you'd want. He works hard, has a good engine, he's passionate, he is a very good passer of the ball, and he's not afraid to get stuck into a challenge. If you can get him playing to the best of his ability, he'd actually be a very good signing I think. He had a spell of about 18 months under Poch where he actually did dictate the tempo of games on a regular basis - he was the one the ball went through more often than not and he always used it well. He was also a fairly effective shield for the back four.

The problem with Winks is consistency and confidence - he doesn't really do well when he's in and out of the team. You also need to get the right mix of midfielders around him because he's not equipped to take games by the scruff of the neck alone. He's also not the quickest and not the best in the air. So he's never going to be a superstar.

In summary, get him playing regularly with the right midfielders next to him (one more defensive and one more attacking) and he can actually be a really effective player that really helps the team to tick. But if you don't use him in the right way then he can quickly become ineffective and really frustrating. If you do buy him then fingers crossed you get the best from him - he's a great lad and he'll bleed for the shirt."

:dodgy:

It will be Frank, he has made no secret previously about a preference for a 'homegrown' team of players.
I never got the impression Alli was FLs choice and this one sounds like it might be part of a done deal with Richarlison that's been done over his head.

if it’s a loan, I can stomach it. if we pay anything even close to 20mil then it’s just another overpriced ‘big club’ outcast that’s crippled us over rhe last few years in the transfer window
so many of our current midfielders and rhe ones were linked to desperately need to play in a 3, but every manager refuses to play it

"Spurs fan here - watch every Spurs match and go to a fair share, so I thought I'd give my opinion on Winks in case anybody is interested.

Winks can be frustrating because he does have a lot of the attributes you'd want. He works hard, has a good engine, he's passionate, he is a very good passer of the ball, and he's not afraid to get stuck into a challenge. If you can get him playing to the best of his ability, he'd actually be a very good signing I think. He had a spell of about 18 months under Poch where he actually did dictate the tempo of games on a regular basis - he was the one the ball went through more often than not and he always used it well. He was also a fairly effective shield for the back four.

The problem with Winks is consistency and confidence - he doesn't really do well when he's in and out of the team. You also need to get the right mix of midfielders around him because he's not equipped to take games by the scruff of the neck alone. He's also not the quickest and not the best in the air. So he's never going to be a superstar.

In summary, get him playing regularly with the right midfielders next to him (one more defensive and one more attacking) and he can actually be a really effective player that really helps the team to tick. But if you don't use him in the right way then he can quickly become ineffective and really frustrating. If you do buy him then fingers crossed you get the best from him - he's a great lad and he'll bleed for the shirt."

Yep, that's basically my perception of the lad. He's a better player than most people on here would give him credit for but I'm v sceptical as to whether he's the sort of number 6 we need. Essentially he's Gareth Barry without the defensive nous and with the added bonus of some well-documented confidence issues.

Still, don't think he merits anything like the sort of hysteria in this thread

Key paragraph there, we saw what confidence did for Iwobi second half of the season, if we get him in on loan and get a ‘destroyer’ type with say Doucoure or getting Gallagher and it could work

Really looking forward to Winks coming, its a good move from us, needless to say a lot of fans will be on his back from day one, like Iwobi and will go out the way to shatter him having learnt nothing from last season and the differance a positive crowd can have over a negative one.
Its good work from Frank and he walks into our side easily

Really looking forward to Winks coming, its a good move from us, needless to say a lot of fans will be on his back from day one, like Iwobi and will go out the way to shatter him having learnt nothing from last season and the differance a positive crowd can have over a negative one.

In respect to the forum, no one’s arsed on your opinion on anything Everton related. Snake.

Oh look! A contrarian!

I never got the impression Alli was FLs choice and this one sounds like it might be part of a done deal with Richarlison that's been done over his head.
Richarlison is being linked with Chelsea today, and tbh I don't think Spurs is the right move for him, he doesn't fit the team there and a lot of their fans don't want him either. I don't know about Ali, i have seen things that said Frank had no say and other things that said he was aware. He is also meant to have been Alli's playing idol growing up, so who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.