Heavy Squad Rotation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saaby

Player Valuation: £10m
I feel like I can never predict the team we play anymore. Im not talking about europe im mainly talking about the league. Although it could be a positive decision to rotate the squad I think we are rotating and changing it constantly. How do we expect to build on confidence and form when we have a different team every week. What is your opinion on our squad rotation ?

I feel like I can never predict the team we play anymore. Im not talking about europe im mainly talking about the league. Although it could be a positive decision to rotate the squad I think we are rotating and changing it constantly. How do we expect to build on confidence and form when we have a different team every week. What is your opinion on our squad rotation ?
I barely even know what formation we are playing let alone whose gonna line up from week to week. I dont think the players do either judging by some of the very ropey performances we are putting in.

I barely even know what formation we are playing let alone whose gonna line up from week to week. I dont think the players do either judging by some of the very ropey performances we are putting in.
Yeah I agree with you there , last year it was so easy to predict who was going to lineup and we were great most of the times , big contrast to this year so far

Different players have different abilities and each bring something different. Some players may be vital against certain types of opposition, whereas some may be a weak spot.

But the main reason we've changed our lineups so regularly this season is because of the injuries we've had.

We've had players dropping like flies in games, it's pretty hard not to change from game to game with the injury situations we've suffered so far this season.
I injuries did play a part , but did we need to cater for eto , barkley and naisnith in the same line up if it doesnt work. Now that mirallas is back we have a natural wide player who can exploits the wings but barkley is still played out wide.

It's only the attacking positions I think. The back four is usually Coleman - Jags - Stones - Baines when all are fit. McCarthy and Barry are 1st choice in the two holding midfield positions.

Further forward, Lukaku is nearly always the striker of choice. Behind him though it's not been easy. Barkley and Mirallas have both missed big chunks of the season so far. Pienaar rarely seems fit either. They're probably the first choice attacking midfielders and they've been disrupted a lot, hence why we've seen guys like Naismith and McGeady play more than we'd expect.

I injuries did play a part , but did we need to cater for eto , barkley and naisnith in the same line up if it doesnt work. Now that mirallas is back we have a natural wide player who can exploits the wings but barkley is still played out wide.

Mirallas has been back for what 3 games, Barkley, Eto'o and Naismith have started 1 of those games together. We've been hit hard in crucial areas and its played a major part in who's picked and where their played.

Fatigue is huge these days, payers are more finley tuned, which leads to more muscle type strains & injuries.

This is why we have squads these days, and not in the past.

I don't think we've rotated at all tbh. If they are fit, then Howard, Baines, Jags, Coleman, Barry, McCarthy, Mirallas and Lukaku WILL start virtually every league match. The other 3 places nobody has nailed down (Distin has one now I guess).
Agree 100%. Especially in the centre midfield department where it was most easy to rotate but where Martinez has only acted when Barry and McCarthy have completely broken down.

Scandalous comment he made in the press conference this morning regarding McCarthy's situation:

"It's just been the amount of games he's had to play and he's a very young man, already very experienced and I think we could maybe find the right formula for him to have the right training exposure but it is something that we want to eradicate."

Yes, well that was YOU playing him in all those games, Roberto.

FFS, you'd think someone else was forcing McCarthy out on the pitch against his Martinez's will if you took that nonsense at face value. Now he's trying to undo the mess he created needlessly by looking at a training regime to cut the work load down for McCarthy. Talk about locking the stable door after the horse has bolted.

Agree 100%. Especially in the centre midfield department where it was most easy to rotate but where Martinez has only acted when Barry and McCarthy have completely broken down.

Scandalous comment he made in the press conference this morning regarding McCarthy's situation:

"It's just been the amount of games he's had to play and he's a very young man, already very experienced and I think we could maybe find the right formula for him to have the right training exposure but it is something that we want to eradicate."

Yes, well that was YOU playing him in all those games, Roberto.

FFS, you'd think someone else was forcing McCarthy out on the pitch against his Martinez's will if you took that nonsense at face value. Now he's trying to undo the mess he created needlessly by looking at a training regime to cut the work load down for McCarthy. Talk about locking the stable door after the horse has bolted.

Well said. Very well said indeed.

Whilst part of the problem has been Gibson taking so long to get back to fitness only to promptly break again, Martinez also made a mistake by not using Besic effectively in the first part of the season. Right at the start, when Barry was obviously unfit (Leicester, Arsenal, Chelsea) Besic should have been starting - he looked sharp and impressive in pre-season. The moment all three of them were fit the third one should be coming on to replace one of the other two with 20 minutes to go in almost every game, and they should be sharing the starts out more equally.

I'm not advocating rotation for rotation's sake, but I do think that sharing the load is important in keeping players fit and healthy. We should be able to spot around 15 to 20 league games on the schedule in which we can confidently start Besic in CM. I also think we should be actively pursuing Delph as a replacement for Gibson, but that's a topic for another thread.

I remember an interview last season, or maybe over the summer from one of the players. (I'm sure it was Naismith) He more or less said that they know who will start two games ahead, and that's pretty rigid barring injuries. (So the squad already know who starts v Hull and City)

Status
Not open for further replies.