History

The continent has a lot to answer for. lol

E0AQcJgVIAE2Rry

As it was once said, 'Patriotism is a now complicated matter', but this impromptu rendition of Deutschlandlied is for me one of the better examples of it.

After the Bundestag, sitting in Bonn, here of the news coming from the GDR that due to miscommunication the inner-border was opening they began to sing.

The lyrics are very apt: "Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit, Sind des Glückes Unterpfand"

Ever heard of the radium girls?

Sure, I'll indulge you.

So, that lovely irradiated element, back in the old days they used to paint the points of your ticker thanks to it's glow in the dark, will kill you slowly over time properties. An unfortunate bunch of lasses known as the "Radium girls" were employed to paint said watches, ideal for the job due to their reletively tiny hands and stuff.

Down the line things started to shine through, notably the geiger counter annoying girls who had been willingly splashing it on their legs and clobber (apparently it became quite the trend). This element was recognised as dangerous by Marie and Pierre Currie decades before but they were fed crap and unfortunately hundreds of women suffered the consequences.

One women had her lower mandible grow to such an enlarged state that the doctor literally grabbed it and pulled it out of her mouth, it was that irradiated.

radium-girls-3.jpg

Ever heard of the radium girls?

Sure, I'll indulge you.

So, that lovely irradiated element, back in the old days they used to paint the points of your ticker thanks to it's glow in the dark, will kill you slowly over time properties. An unfortunate bunch of lasses known as the "Radium girls" were employed to paint said watches, ideal for the job due to their reletively tiny hands and stuff.

Down the line things started to shine through, notably the geiger counter annoying girls who had been willingly splashing it on their legs and clobber (apparently it became quite the trend). This element was recognised as dangerous by Marie and Pierre Currie decades before but they were fed crap and unfortunately hundreds of women suffered the consequences.

One women had her lower mandible grow to such an enlarged state that the doctor literally grabbed it and pulled it out of her mouth, it was that irradiated.

radium-girls-3.jpg
Read the book Radium Girls a couple months ago. Awful

Read a great book called A Short History of Nuclear Folly. The amount of times we nearly obliterated ourselves through sheer stupidity or accident and the amount of missing nukes is quite startling.

My personal favourite is from 1958 when an Air Force bomber just binned a nuke onto someone’s farm in South Carolina because the bombardier accidentally pulled the bomb release pin whilst trying to check a fault. The bombs TNT trigger blew up someone’s family farm and there’s differing reports as to whether the nuclear core was actually within the bomb at the time (I like to think it was because I know what the military is like). The family were uninjured and got $36000 which wasn’t even enough to rebuild the farmhouse.

Absolutely wild to think that you could’ve been having a sit in your back garden enjoying a beer only for someone to accidentally drop a doomsday device on your house lol

Read a great book called A Short History of Nuclear Folly. The amount of times we nearly obliterated ourselves through sheer stupidity or accident and the amount of missing nukes is quite startling.

My personal favourite is from 1958 when an Air Force bomber just binned a nuke onto someone’s farm in South Carolina because the bombardier accidentally pulled the bomb release pin whilst trying to check a fault. The bombs TNT trigger blew up someone’s family farm and there’s differing reports as to whether the nuclear core was actually within the bomb at the time (I like to think it was because I know what the military is like). The family were uninjured and got $36000 which wasn’t even enough to rebuild the farmhouse.

Absolutely wild to think that you could’ve been having a sit in your back garden enjoying a beer only for someone to accidentally drop a doomsday device on your house lol
Around the same time the US Air Force had a mid air collision between a bomber and a smaller fighter jet. The bomber was flyable so they jettisoned the bomb along the shoreline in Georgia to lessen the explosion risk on landing.

Unfortunately they were unable to locate it and after several searches just gave up.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back