History

Newly discovered section of the Bayeux Tapestry depicting Anglo Saxons after kicking-out time.

E3h3SZ7UYAEPZkE

Possibly the oldest door in Britain. It's in Westminster Abbey and was in the original Anglo Saxon Abbey. It was reused in the 13th century rebuild.

So the oak was felled sometime in the mid 11th Century. Old oak trees can reach 600 years old. It is not impossible that this oak witnessed Roman troops leaving Britain when it was a sapling.

FB_IMG_1623612560327.webp

Possibly the oldest door in Britain. It's in Westminster Abbey and was in the original Anglo Saxon Abbey. It was reused in the 13th century rebuild.

So the oak was felled sometime in the mid 11th Century. Old oak trees can reach 600 years old. It is not impossible that this oak witnessed Roman troops leaving Britain when it was a sapling.

View attachment 130528
Ahhh the days when you could buy a plank and not have to spend half a day removing gum from the bar code label.

Hometown news from the early 20th c.

In the face of rapid industrialization and its impact upon the environment, groups of concerned citizens organize to acknowledge and preserve massive trees from the dawn of time. This is the Sempervirens Club, circa 1901, which helped secure the establishment of California's first state park, Big Basin Redwoods State Park, in 1900. I grew up in the vicinity and my wife and I try to visit the park every time we go out there to see my family. Last year the unusually (but becoming usually) hectic seasonal wildfires swept through there so I don't know what we'll find next time.

NN9SvAu.jpg

On this day in 1914, Archduke Franz Ferdinand, heir to the throne of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, was assassinated during a visit to Sarajevo, the capital of Bosnia.
This assassination began a series of events that led to.the start of the First World War

ferdinand-getting-into-open-top-car-inline1.webp

On this day in 1914, Archduke Franz Ferdinand, heir to the throne of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, was assassinated during a visit to Sarajevo, the capital of Bosnia.
This assassination began a series of events that led to.the start of the First World War

View attachment 131862
His chauffeur took a wrong turning straight into the path of of one of the Black Hand assasins..

View attachment 130528

Should have had that at The She nightclub when I used to go in the 70's

View attachment 130528
I wonder what’s going on a the top left
Looks like they cut the door to fit a stubborn bit of brick they couldn’t get square ‘

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back