Hopes for the remainder of the season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premier league safety as quick as possible. Then prepare for next season.
Blood some youngsters. Stay fit and healthy. Try Holgate in midfield.
DCL and Richarlson score a few goals. Pickford makes no mistakes.
Then get Kenny back into the fold.
And of course kick everything off by beating Liverpool.
I think we would literally have to lose every game to go down. It won't happen.

The rest I agree with except Holgate in midfield. To start we only have him and Keane fit to play CB but also there is no reason to move him from a position where we need good players and are light to a different one when he has just started to look maybe good at the first one.

This.... it's a great time to experiment.
Yep......when we get another six points. Then experiment. Let's hope we don't take to long to get to safety. Can't see us pushing the top six. But you never know.
Some team or teams will struggle. Let's hope it's not us.

No more nonsense draws (like Newcastle) or embarrassing losses (like Chelsea), just good consistent play and perhaps a string of victories and some hard-earned come from behind draws. I don't mind if we lose on occasion so long as our play is strong/smart/consistent and we lose by getting out-played and not by shooting ourselves in the foot or just giving up around minute 55.

I hope Kean scores about ten goals.
Really I was just looking forward to see gbamin play so now that's out I'd like to see how Gordon does. Anyone except the usual hiders and crabs

I think we would literally have to lose every game to go down. It won't happen.

The rest I agree with except Holgate in midfield. To start we only have him and Keane fit to play CB but also there is no reason to move him from a position where we need good players and are light to a different one when he has just started to look maybe good at the first one.
good points. But just say we lose our first four matches back. And teams below us win a few. We are then in the mire. So that's why I want us safe as soon as possible. Remember we lost heavily to Chelsea in our last match. Not very pretty viewing.
But I'm as ever being cautious. Of course we will be safe

As for Holgate playing in midfield. That won't happen.
As you say we are now short at centre-back. But pick up those early points and maybe then see what Gibson (is he back from his loan spell). And young Braithwaite can do.
Only mentioned Holgate as a midfielder because he has something about him. The lad can play football. He looked ok in his midfield cameo roles under Duncan Ferguson. And our present midfield is not great. Even Gomes is not great. He needs legs around him. The midfield that I expect will face Liverool will be steam rollered. But who knows? We might just catch them on an off day.... Maybe.

on 37pts we would have finished fifth from bottom.......

Yes, but at the same point last season the bottom 3 had 25/17/14 points, whereas this year they have 27/25/21 - and if Villa win their game in hand it will be 28/27/21

The bottom 3 will have a higher points total this year - and our fixtures are not easy.

We don't need many points, but it's Everton - and if anyone can screw this up, it will be us!

Yes, but at the same point last season the bottom 3 had 25/17/14 points, whereas this year they have 27/25/21 - and if Villa win their game in hand it will be 28/27/21

The bottom 3 will have a higher points total this year - and our fixtures are not easy.

We don't need many points, but it's Everton - and if anyone can screw this up, it will be us!
1 win should ensure safety.

good points. But just say we lose our first four matches back. And teams below us win a few. We are then in the mire. So that's why I want us safe as soon as possible. Remember we lost heavily to Chelsea in our last match. Not very pretty viewing.
But I'm as ever being cautious. Of course we will be safe

As for Holgate playing in midfield. That won't happen.
As you say we are now short at centre-back. But pick up those early points and maybe then see what Gibson (is he back from his loan spell). And young Braithwaite can do.
Only mentioned Holgate as a midfielder because he has something about him. The lad can play football. He looked ok in his midfield cameo roles under Duncan Ferguson. And our present midfield is not great. Even Gomes is not great. He needs legs around him. The midfield that I expect will face Liverool will be steam rollered. But who knows? We might just catch them on an off day.... Maybe.
He's become a pretty decent CB, but he hasn't been and still isn't a good ball player and I'm not sure why that reputation has persisted so long. He does look like he'd be good with it, but the actual passing leaves a lot to be desired. I'd prefer we let him be what he is and found someone else to do the midfield running. Those big Dunc games we didn't pass the ball. It all went long.

He's become a pretty decent CB, but he hasn't been and still isn't a good ball player and I'm not sure why that reputation has persisted so long. He does look like he'd be good with it, but the actual passing leaves a lot to be desired. I'd prefer we let him be what he is and found someone else to do the midfield running. Those big Dunc games we didn't pass the ball. It all went long.
fair enough. Haven't actually seen Holgate play in those Ferguson games. But he did get good write ups. Punters have been marking him down as a possible defensive midfielder. But I bow to your knowledge.
I'd just like to see our midfield tighten up. Davies and Gomes don't inspire me. Neither did the injured Delph. We haven't had a decent midfield for ages.
I suppose it will take a few transfer windows to hopefully put things right.
Anyhow.......for now, I agree with you. Holgate plays at centre-back.

fair enough. Haven't actually seen Holgate play in those Ferguson games. But he did get good write ups. Punters have been marking him down as a possible defensive midfielder. But I bow to your knowledge.
I'd just like to see our midfield tighten up. Davies and Gomes don't inspire me. Neither did the injured Delph. We haven't had a decent midfield for ages.
I suppose it will take a few transfer windows to hopefully put things right.
Anyhow.......for now, I agree with you. Holgate plays at centre-back.
I think a lot of people would agree with you and my personal opinion that Holgate isn't so good on the ball tends to be the minority view, but hey that's what we're here for.

Status
Not open for further replies.