How do we ‘fix’ the relationship between fans and the club?

SuperKev91

Player Valuation: £750k
It’s clear from just scrolling down the main page on the forum (and following on from countless media reports and Dyche’s comments) the fans are taking a bit of flak currently.

I had a few thoughts about where all this started and was curious whether anyone else can pinpoint what might be done to try and ‘fix’ it.

For me this goes deep, and way back to when Moshiri first bought us. We’d had a fantastic season under Martinez which had raised expectations after years of being ‘almost there’ under Moyes, followed by 2 underwhelming follow up seasons. The takeover sent expectations into overdrive about what was possible however and this is where some inward reflection from us as fans is probably fair.

The atmosphere at Goodison has notably dropped from the Moyes era, call it fatigue, call it antipathy - whatever you like - it’s not what it used to be for 70% of the season. Yes we’ve pulled them over the line when needed but what about games like last week or how I imagine Saturday is going to go…

With the expectations increasing we’ve seen blasé attitudes to transfers, manager sackings and the finances surrounding the club. Some voices were shouted down early on when voicing disapproval of how the club had been ran and many had the ‘not my money’ attitude to some woeful recruitment.

We’re now left with whatever this is, a group of players we can probably pick 3/4 out who we genuinely do like and a manager who just isn’t suited to galvanise a fan base like ours. How do you heal that disconnect between fans and staff?

We don’t need a happy-clappy, Lampard type. I think we need an absolute maniac on the touchline, someone like Klopp, Simeone, Bielsa (not that calibre but that personality). The fans are that flat, the players are that disassociated, I can only see a big personality like that galvanising a reaction from the whole club.

Be interested to see what anyone else thinks, where we go from here, how did we get here. Is anyone else feeling a degree of blame for the rot setting in? Not pointing fingers but I know I’ve been guilty of all of the above at times (bar booing players coming on/off - actively called that out at the game a few times).

Club officials blaming the fans for attacking them when it didnt happen.

Hiring benitez after all the trash he spoke about the club and fans previously.

The current and previous owners treating the fans with utter contempt.

Its not the fans and the club lacking a relationship. Its the horrible people running the club against the fans. Well still be here supporting the club well after they’ve gone.

Club officials blaming the fans for attacking them when it didnt happen.

Hiring benitez after all the trash he spoke about the club and fans previously.

The current and previous owners treating the fans with utter contempt.

Its not the fans and the club lacking a relationship. Its the horrible people running the club against the fans. Well still be here supporting the club well after they’ve gone.
All absolutely true and very valid points, they’ve treated us with disdain as well - no doubt.

I’m just asking where this atmosphere started and what could be done to try and fix it. Obviously the current regime at the top is ridiculously toxic, I don’t think the manager fits the bill either. I don’t particularly think many of the players do.

Where do we go from here? Last time I enjoyed watching us and felt a connection to the team was the season with James, Richarlison etc. under Carlo.

Before that? Maybe Martinez season one (few moments under Silva season one). It’s been slim pickings for a decade in that respect I think.

Less of this type of post from someone who somehow has a platform.

Attacking people who have a genetical disorder is only fanning the flames.

And fyi I’m not bald. I just think he’s a nob.

Yeah not a great look that either, just a mess isn’t it. Fans having a pop at each other, the players, the manager, the owner. I’d say the only one who deserves it entirely is the latter.

Unfortunately with emotions as they are I think it’ll get worse before it gets any better at this rate.

Sack the current manager. Before people say we can’t afford it, just pay him his weekly salary and bang him on leave.

Hire new progressive manager, plenty unattached, one with a style of play that doesn’t resemble hoofball.

Win a couple of games playing half decent football.

That would be a start..

Less of this type of post from someone who somehow has a platform.

Attacking people who have a genetical disorder is only fanning the flames.

And fyi I’m not bald. I just think he’s a nob.

After every bad home defeat he starts his videos with him booing his head off when the players are leaving the pitch

Sack the current manager. Before people say we can’t afford it, just pay him his weekly salary and bang him on leave.

Hire new progressive manager, plenty unattached, one with a style of play that doesn’t resemble hoofball.

Win a couple of games playing half decent football.

That would be a start..
And you think we have the players for that?. One of the best managers in world football played the same way with us. It’s all we know.

And you think we have the players for that?. One of the best managers in world football played the same way with us. It’s all we know.
I’m not trying to make out we’re prime Barca, but yes I think our players are playing considerably below a level they can, largely in-part to the manager and his horrific tactics

When your not playing with the ball, it’s surprising how quickly you regress as a footballer…

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back