How do we ‘fix’ the relationship between fans and the club?

Honestly, the club do not help themselves at all.

But the position were in now club wise, is far better than it was 3-4 years ago. No thanks to Moshiri of course, but hiring Rafael, headlocks, Talksport interviews, Kenwright being there and patronising all contributed.

But I also think the fanbase has gone so toxic. With pretty much anything, the fans are angry. Angry probably because we're a laughing stock, year after year of knocks and false dawns has broken the fanbase.

But people who think it's new are mistaken. I remember playing Bournemouth under Martinez, we won 5-3, but Bournemouth scored to go back to 4-2, and the Gwladys St Lost its head.

Why the fans are entitled, I have no answer? It's a small minority, but a small minority who seem to always cause headlines negatively.

These idiots need airing and shaming and you'll oust them. I don't care how much you earn, I dint care how much they earn, you don't scream abuse in their faces.

Stop being entitled.

If the players could be seen to actually make an effort, putting a shift in, that would be a good start. Along with a manager who is willing to take some chances.
We supporters invest a great deal of emotional energy in the club and it seems the club is just taking the piss a lot of the time. Eventually, everyone reaches a limit and I feel a lot of us are at or very near that point. For every idiot venting at players, there are several more who are beginning to simply not give a damn any more. Sadly, I find myself in that latter category.

Seen a few comments now about the style of football changing, I think that’s a massive part of it.

We expect maximum effort as an absolute minimum, that means to us blood and thunder challenges, positive football, crosses, pressure.

It doesn’t need to be possession football it just isn’t percentages channel ball. I do think a massive part of the lack of association between fans and players is the ‘brand’ of football. Carlo didn’t play tiki taka but we loved it by and large.

Just positive, front foot, aggressive football. Goodison is a weird animal and I feel like the last few managers just haven’t been able to harness that most of the time.

It’s clear from just scrolling down the main page on the forum (and following on from countless media reports and Dyche’s comments) the fans are taking a bit of flak currently.

I had a few thoughts about where all this started and was curious whether anyone else can pinpoint what might be done to try and ‘fix’ it.

For me this goes deep, and way back to when Moshiri first bought us. We’d had a fantastic season under Martinez which had raised expectations after years of being ‘almost there’ under Moyes, followed by 2 underwhelming follow up seasons. The takeover sent expectations into overdrive about what was possible however and this is where some inward reflection from us as fans is probably fair.

The atmosphere at Goodison has notably dropped from the Moyes era, call it fatigue, call it antipathy - whatever you like - it’s not what it used to be for 70% of the season. Yes we’ve pulled them over the line when needed but what about games like last week or how I imagine Saturday is going to go…

With the expectations increasing we’ve seen blasé attitudes to transfers, manager sackings and the finances surrounding the club. Some voices were shouted down early on when voicing disapproval of how the club had been ran and many had the ‘not my money’ attitude to some woeful recruitment.

We’re now left with whatever this is, a group of players we can probably pick 3/4 out who we genuinely do like and a manager who just isn’t suited to galvanise a fan base like ours. How do you heal that disconnect between fans and staff?

We don’t need a happy-clappy, Lampard type. I think we need an absolute maniac on the touchline, someone like Klopp, Simeone, Bielsa (not that calibre but that personality). The fans are that flat, the players are that disassociated, I can only see a big personality like that galvanising a reaction from the whole club.

Be interested to see what anyone else thinks, where we go from here, how did we get here. Is anyone else feeling a degree of blame for the rot setting in? Not pointing fingers but I know I’ve been guilty of all of the above at times (bar booing players coming on/off - actively called that out at the game a few times).
I think we, and dyce, have to hope for January and the takeover happens and we get some money.

I think a combination of things need to change. It starts with the players showing more effort and personal pride. We've all seen how hard and fast they will run when they are up for it. They clearly haven't been the last 2 games. Giving 100% effort for the 90 minutes goes a long way in getting the fans off their backs.

There is a hysterical element to football fans these days though fuelled by the media. Even social media accounts like PaddyPower mocking us contributes to the hysteria on Twitter and makes things worse.

Things won't change for years, maybe when the new owner comes and sorts the mess out.

To far gone to be solved by sacking the manager, the players are mostly s disgrace, the owner is a disgrace and the whole club in general is just awful

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back