Howard gets US call-up

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be most interested in how Bradley performs.

I could see him starting the first half at defensive midfield. Unlike other "friendlies," you won't see a lot of subs used as both teams are always looking to win this matchup.

I half expected the American team to all be 6'6" and 16 stone. So they can run and jump all over everyone elses arses and such. Someone should tell you guys that's the route to success.

No but I think their "fast tracking" him.

He's got to pass the course called "Gridiron Football Drills and how to apply them to Soccer."

I'd be cheesed if he did that for this match as:

1) It's against archrival Mexico
2) It's on national televison
3) I'm gonna be there.

I don't want to see a full MLS based team in this. I want to see our FIRST TEAM.

The match is Wednesday night, 9pm EDT on ESPN2 I believe.

Yea if it wasn't a Mexico friendly then he'd let the European players stay. He often says that its not fair to take make players travel 5000miles to play say Honduras in LA when they are fighting to get out of relegation. He's also taking the team to Europe for friendlies so players don't have to travel much. Arenas was always afraid to play away from the US and it killed us in Italy.

Bradley's one big mistake has been that he's never stood up to Donovan yet and the rah! rah! We heart Landon "journalists", Nike and US Soccer FA. Everybody knows he plays well in the US against Mexico. Bradley needs to put Donovan on the bench in US matches and make prove his worth in away matches. What good is he going to do if he is afraid of the ball like he was in Germany when the team goes to South Africa? He was arguably the worst player in the WC. Plus we got Altidore, Adu, Dempsey and (when healthy) Beasley on the front lines he's not needed. Why Bradley always said that Donovan is the one player I'd never sit and will always be a 1st choise 11 is beyond me.

Donovan is the best America has to offer

he's a playmaker and the greatest goal scorer in US history

he should never ever be benched

Yeah, I'd say that no matter what opinion someone has about Landon, most followers of the USA would say that he has to be included in the starting 11.

There's a lot of debate about him to be sure though.

The time will come where he'll step aside but we're a ways a way from that yet.

2-2 right now in the 48th

Howard has played well. He didn't have a prayer on either Mexico goals

bad defending on the backside of set pieces/corner kicks

Donovan is a weird one isn't he....bit like McFadden in that he looks the dog's bollocks in his own country but when he was in Germany he looked just bollocks...

Well my voice is pretty much gone this morning. The referee and the linesmen were borderline horrific and I let them know about it from Section 308.

Enough of that and on the the match:

• Michael Bradley had a decent game but he was paired with another defensive midfielder in Ricardo Clark. As much as I love both, I don't want to see that again. No one to distribute to. Bradley had a decent game though and I think he'd make a great understudy to Carsley.
  • Tim Howard played well also and could do nothing about both goals. Our marking on set pieces was terrible and we paid the price.
  • Donovan had a fairly subdued match by his standards but credit the Mexican midfield which showed their technical superiority in the second half. The USA rarely had any possession .
  • I thought Dempsey's goal should have counted but then what do I know?
  • Josy Altidore looks like he's going to be one of our starting forwards for a long, long time. Playing against Rafael Marquez didn't faze him in the least and he got the better of the match up. Had a well taken goal and just missed another.
  • Let's hope Bobby Convey is just as ineffective for Reading on Saturday as he was for the USA last night. He wasn't able to create a thing.

All in all, can't really complain about the scoreline even though we had what I thought was a legitimate goal called back. One thing is for sure. The USA had some very good bright spots but also had some issues as well which need to be addressed asap if we're going to try to make a go of it in 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back